Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

“Thank you” Card for non-BMA landowner?

Here's something I just sent off. I asked a local woman in her 80s if I could trap a swamp she owns for muskrat. It's literally a half a mile up the road from her house. The first thing she said was "What the Hell are you gonna do with muskrats?" The second thing she said was she hadn't been up to that property for "years". Just interesting that someone owns 6 acres of creek front filled with whitetail, beaver, and all sorts of other critters, and is too old to go visit it anymore. She did say yes.

I only asked to trap muskrats, and was unsuccessful, I think largely because there really aren't any or many in there. But I did have an incredible time. I found a chunk of culvert in which 4 skunks lived - I put a camera on them and they would go hunting every night around midnight and return before daylight. I saw some nice whitetail, and had a beaver swim under me on the ice. There were ducks and moose in there as well. I explored the thick stuff and learned about it and took my kids along.

For $4, I made this thank you card on shutterfly - all with pictures from her parcel - and the accompanying note mentions the above and more. I think landowners love to hear someone's connection and observations on their land. It lets them know the act of permission was more than just a hoop jumped through for the hopeful extraction of animals - and instead was as an invitation to a proclamation of love for a chunk of earth. Every landowner I’ve ever met, loves their land deeply.

Cheap, easy, and I think meaningful.

72703526631__3B292896-14EA-4A48-912B-A21B5D487604.jpg

Neighbors of ours in Montana, after asking permission to hunt Ive always dropped off a couple of bottles of wine and thanking them for allowing me to hunt there property.

Tell him you’ll bring a horse over this spring and help him gather a few pastures and drag calves to the fire. If you don’t have a horse tell him you’ll ride one of his. Bring some beer with you and after you’re done branding you can sit around and talk about the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back