Term Limits

I find it funny that people start blaming the d’s like pelosi when ol Crenshaw made way more than she did. Personally don’t care other than I don’t think either side should be allowed to do any trading. If the president has to step away from all his other stuff so should they.

My .03 . Every journeyman has served an apprenticeship, with a few exceptions if you were exceptional in your field.
I can only speak to the office I'm familiar with and that is County Supervisor. Our Supervisors have term limits. Some of them really needed to go but there's a few that really did a great job and termed out only to be replaced by some dimwitted clown that somehow got elected. Our supervisor doesn't have a clue that our 600 SQ. mile chunk of the county even exists.

My .03 . Every journeyman has served an apprenticeship, with a few exceptions if you were exceptional in your field.
I can only speak to the office I'm familiar with and that is County Supervisor. Our Supervisors have term limits. Some of them really needed to go but there's a few that really did a great job and termed out only to be replaced by some dimwitted clown that somehow got elected. Our supervisor doesn't have a clue that our 600 SQ. mile chunk of the county even exists.
Would you wager the casualties of term limits (the exceptions) are acceptable compared to the current way?

I'd wager it would keep the "good" (subjectively) in more frequently, than the "bad". At worst, it'd require the populace to be more in tune. But it would read the temperature of the room far better.

Would you wager the casualties of term limits (the exceptions) are acceptable compared to the current way?

I'd wager it would keep the "good" (subjectively) in more frequently, than the "bad". At worst, it'd require the populace to be more in tune. But it would read the temperature of the room far better.
I'm just not informed or qualified to give an answer. In our particular case, we are part of probably one of the richest counties in CA. Santa Clara county. Fortunately or unfortunately,,,,our piece of the county is very rural, and sparsely populated. Our previous supervisor lived on the outskirts of the back country close to town. He and his 2 predecessors termed out. They were all very in touch with the area and were as responsive as possible to our wants and needs. The new guy won't even acknowledge we exist. He was elected by the majority of the population in the district. For his predecessors term limits were bad for us. For this guy term limits will be good. Our area of his district only carries 50-60 votes so voting him out won't happen.

Sorry to derail, but I wonder how you CAfornians feel about your new Senator being a resident and voter in MD? We are so phuqued!

I'm just not informed or qualified to give an answer. In our particular case, we are part of probably one of the richest counties in CA. Santa Clara county. Fortunately or unfortunately,,,,our piece of the county is very rural, and sparsely populated. Our previous supervisor lived on the outskirts of the back country close to town. He and his 2 predecessors termed out. They were all very in touch with the area and were as responsive as possible to our wants and needs. The new guy won't even acknowledge we exist. He was elected by the majority of the population in the district. For his predecessors term limits were bad for us. For this guy term limits will be good. Our area of his district only carries 50-60 votes so voting him out won't happen.
(This isn't towards county positions, but federally) I think the population size and density has outgrown the electoral college, and my opinion is to have the EC be effective again at representing the populace, it needs to be adjusted due to the densities.

Iowa, for example, 96 or 97 of 99 counties are red, 2/2 senators red, 4/4 CD's are red. Biased, I'm not complaining, though I have my complaints and don't vote party line, but those 2 or 3 counties that are blue hold more population than the remaining counties inside those specific districts.

Hell, back in 20...2014 maybe? Iowas 3rd district, no one on the R side got above the threshold(5 or 6 candidates) so run off it went like 5 rounds. The primary, one individual got DEAD last. During the runoff. That individual got-dead last round 1. Dead last round 2. Last round 3. Last round 4.

He won round 5. He was also senator grassleys CoS. Literally everyone's last pick, until it went...political...

He was senator grassleys chief of staff. Grandpa Chucks pick.

During my politicking life, ive told a few "important people", if i ran, id ask my opponent to be my CoS if I won, because thats representation, and that insight removes me from an echo chamber. Basically, repeal the 12th, apply old standards of presidential elections to all federal elections.

Relative to the term limits casualties, I was only asking your opinion, none of us are saving the world on our responses here, just theory talk basically.

Sorry to derail, but I wonder how you CAfornians feel about your new Senator being a resident and voter in MD? We are so phuqued!
I'm not sure what laws exist towards the governor assigning the duties in that situation, but I can't believe it's allowable if they aren't a current resident.. I also can't speak to particulars on the length of time one must reside prior to

On the flip side...once an individual is elected or ordained, especially in as safe of districts as 95% are, they don't "live" in their state anymore if you catch my drift.

Imagine if you could get residency for tags as simple as what they are doing!

They have no idea what the concept even is that's being discussed based on their questions.
And that is the same point to argue against term limits. If new members have to be “brought up to speed” then it will be typically done by lobbyists. Many states have term limits, like MT. It seems for every problem they fix, they create a new one to replace it.

Not going to read the book, but curious what a guy who has been in an elected office for nearly 20 years and in his current position for five election cycles think term limits should be?
I don't remember in the book if Buck was pushing the issue of term limits as much as it was my personal take on the issue.
I thought the book was worth reading.

And that is the same point to argue against term limits. If new members have to be “brought up to speed” then it will be typically done by lobbyists. Many states have term limits, like MT. It seems for every problem they fix, they create a new one to replace it.
Yessir, or simply hide in plain sight while allowing their colleagues, staff, and pledged media to finger paint ridiculously parsed narratives disguised as earnest explanations.

Yessir, or simply hide in plain sight while allowing their colleagues, staff, and pledged media to finger paint ridiculously parsed narratives disguised as earnest explanations.
Lots of that too. The problem I have is we, as a society, have stop talking about solutions to problems and spend more time on stupid, petty shit. Politicians just join in so they can have a job and a little fame. Our current problems are hard and politicians seem to get dumber and less informed every time new ones get elected. I'm not sure if term limits help or hurt if we continue to lower the bar. And let's be honest, most voters aren't interested in doing any research so the incumbent has a huge advantage in any race.

Catch more flies with honey a shiny coin than vinegar facts.
Lots of that too. The problem I have is we, as a society, have stop talking about solutions to problems and spend more time on stupid, petty shit. Politicians just join in so they can have a job and a little fame. Our current problems are hard and politicians seem to get dumber and less informed every time new ones get elected. I'm not sure if term limits help or hurt if we continue to lower the bar. And let's be honest, most voters aren't interested in doing any research so the incumbent has a huge advantage in any race.

Maybe this is a dumb idea. But I like to think some kind of Written test to measure someone's abilities to run a country would be interesting to see. I work in the software world, and when we interview applicants we often have a practical exam they take to prove the skills they say they have.

Example: For a software engineer job, we have them write a solution in any code language they want to solve a problem. Could be simple or complicated depending on the role we are trying to fill at the time. Then we ask them to write out the test scenario to prove out their coded solution.

Software world is not the only place they have practical exams for applicants. I think that could be a valuable thing for presidential candidates. Knowledge is lost if your not actively educating yourself. That would certainly weed out folks.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back