Term Limits

I think partisanship at the federal and state government and the ridiculous political platforms of the RNC and DNC are a big ‘play’ or ‘show’, designed by the wealthiest in the world, to convince the working class of the US to remain divided, distracted, and effectively fall in line behind the illusion of a functioning democracy. The liberals and conservatives work for the same people and it’s not working class voters. There was a good (disheartening) documentary called ‘The 13th’ (I think that’s the title) put out about 10 years ago. It starts out like it’s going to be all about the legacy of slavery and injustices suffered by minorities but the plot thickens quickly. The point of the documentary was that today ‘our’ politicians regardless of party, work for the same massive corporations and wealthiest individuals. The documentary did an excellent job arguing that for all intents and purposes there are more enslaved Americans today than there was before the emancipation proclamation. I think all of you guys have great ideas for how to swiftly reform the government and I’d probably vote for you. Mine are: no more political parties, term limits, massive and comprehensive campaign finance reform…and tax the hell out of the people who fly around the world in private jets. Daydreaming, I doubt any country in the world has ever come close to solving any of my perceived problems without falling back into the dark ages.

Maybe this is a dumb idea. But I like to think some kind of Written test to measure someone's abilities to run a country would be interesting to see. I work in the software world, and when we interview applicants we often have a practical exam they take to prove the skills they say they have.

Example: For a software engineer job, we have them write a solution in any code language they want to solve a problem. Could be simple or complicated depending on the role we are trying to fill at the time. Then we ask them to write out the test scenario to prove out their coded solution.

Software world is not the only place they have practical exams for applicants. I think that could be a valuable thing for presidential candidates. Knowledge is lost if your not actively educating yourself. That would certainly weed out folks.
As much as I'd support what's essentially a poll tax, and neither here nor there on party affiliations...

The fine people of Pennsylvania thought the patient was smarter than the doctor.

We went from a constitutional Republic, to a (bureaucratic) democracy, and we are witnessing the effects.

The people immediately should have as little to do as may be about the government. They want information and are constantly liable to be misled- Roger sherman on why the house should be of the people, but state legislature elect the senators (summary).

tax the hell out of the people who fly around the world in private jets.
Whoa hey now. If a private citizen, I disagree, be it gore or trump or MJ. If elected or bureaucratic, commercial, economy coach seating, middle seat for sure, back of the plane, nearest urinal, 2 connections minimum.

Hell, if congress had to fly allegiant airlines, economy coach, 2 connection minimum..we may finally solve something!

Interesting note- a member of the house is not allowed to use private planes (lots of strings), however, members of the Senate are (far less strings)

Interesting question- didn't gianforte get in hot water for offering his plane up during some 11th hour voting frenzy potential? Any MT's recall that?

As much as I'd support what's essentially a poll tax, and neither here nor there on party affiliations...

The fine people of Pennsylvania thought the patient was smarter than the doctor.

We went from a constitutional Republic, to a (bureaucratic) democracy, and we are witnessing the effects.

The people immediately should have as little to do as may be about the government. They want information and are constantly liable to be misled- Roger sherman on why the house should be of the people, but state legislature elect the senators (summary).
What the F*$# are you talking about? Quoted my post on a practical accessment/exam and responded with that. Maybe I'm not smart enough, but what are you trying to say in response to my post?

What the F*$# are you talking about? Quoted my post on a practical accessment/exam and responded with that. Maybe I'm not smart enough, but what are you trying to say in response to my post?
Aren't you saying make candidates do an entry exam (poll tax of sorts)?

If you are, I'm saying I agree, look at Pennsylvania, and well, fetterman specifically, or biden, and thats not a D vs R statement, just a general observation, "some assembly required; parts may be missing"

Then, because the people elected him, I'm saying the people shouldn't get the right to vote directly for senators (the 17th amendment), not simply because of that particular race, but because "insert Roger sherman quote".

So, the candidates are dumb, and the people are dumb. Neither should be left unchecked in regards to voting or being voted on.

• Haha
Reactions: KB_
Aren't you saying make candidates do an entry exam (poll tax of sorts)?

If you are, I'm saying I agree, look at Pennsylvania, and well, fetterman specifically, or biden, and thats not a D vs R statement, just a general observation, "some assembly required; parts may be missing"

Then, because the people elected him, I'm saying the people shouldn't get the right to vote directly for senators (the 17th amendment), not simply because of that particular race, but because "insert Roger sherman quote".

So, the candidates are dumb, and the people are dumb. Neither should be left unchecked in regards to voting or being voted on.
Why didnt you just say that the first time lol

Term limits on congress would be great! How about age limits on presidential candidates too!

How about if you're too old not to shit your pants during a speech you're too old be in congress. That should clear up about 3/4 of them for a fresh batch.

If you can't get done in 2 terms what you wanted, it's time for someone else. 2 terms...that's what I'd like to see.

How about if you're too old not to shit your pants during a speech you're too old be in congress. That should clear up about 3/4 of them for a fresh batch.

According to the Mountain House thread, this is about 40% of the forum.

If you can't get done in 2 terms what you wanted, it's time for someone else. 2 terms...that's what I'd like to see.

Your first term, you're trying to learn where the bathrooms and committee rooms are. You're looking to forge alliances, fill committee obligations and figure out which interns will squeal, and which will play ball. Your second term is when you feel a little more confident, but you still don't know shit about shit.

The American public is the ultimate term limit. If the voters are too apathetic to do their job, reducing our options of qualified people is the worst thing we can do. It's like asking plumber to rewire your network.

The only thing term limits do is reduce the quality of government. So if you don't think the gov't is competent now, then why in the world would we want to make it even dumber?

I've worked in states that have term limits and states that do not. The states that retain their institutional knowledge in legislators are usually far better run than those with term limits. When you have 40% turnover like MT does every House cycle, you end up with the same culture war legislation that has nothing to do with actual governance, and everything to do with simply politicking when people should be focused on the business of the state.

I do think that overall the quality of politician is going down hill across the board. But term limits only seek to remove those with knowledge with those who can far more easily be swayed by lobbyists and unelected beauraucrats. The solution here is to seek, recruit, train and support good candidates who care about the nation first, and their donors second.

Your first term, you're trying to learn where the bathrooms and committee rooms are. You're looking to forge alliances, fill committee obligations and figure out which interns will squeal, and which will play ball. Your second term is when you feel a little more confident, but you still don't know shit about shit.

The American public is the ultimate term limit. If the voters are too apathetic to do their job, reducing our options of qualified people is the worst thing we can do. It's like asking plumber to rewire your network.

The only thing term limits do is reduce the quality of government. So if you don't think the gov't is competent now, then why in the world would we want to make it even dumber?

I've worked in states that have term limits and states that do not. The states that retain their institutional knowledge in legislators are usually far better run than those with term limits. When you have 40% turnover like MT does every House cycle, you end up with the same culture war legislation that has nothing to do with actual governance, and everything to do with simply politicking when people should be focused on the business of the state.

I do think that overall the quality of politician is going down hill across the board. But term limits only seek to remove those with knowledge with those who can far more easily be swayed by lobbyists and unelected beauraucrats. The solution here is to seek, recruit, train and support good candidates who care about the nation first, and their donors second.
I agree 100 percent. So how do we get canidate to serve the country a d not the party? The idea that the voters have all the power is nice. How does it make sense to allow folks to stay in power for 40 yrs.

I agree 100 percent. So how do we get canidate to serve the country a d not the party? The idea that the voters have all the power is nice. How does it make sense to allow folks to stay in power for 40 yrs.

Go run for something: dogcatcher, comptroller, city commission. Get involved and become a part of the solution. Be that candidate you want to see.

Those who start their political ambitions at that local level are generally the ones who elevate (unless you're a millionaire and buy your way to the front of the line). That is how you build expertise on key governance issues like municipal funding & county infrastructure, at the Conservation District Level, you can do a ton of amazing work funding projects that help wildlife, habitat and people.

It really comes down to the American people. Benjamin Franklin is famously attributed to saying on the last day of the Constitutional Convention that we have a republic, "if you can keep it."

His admonition was that we all have to be involved in maintaining our country if we want to preserve the freedoms that we have now.

Go run for something: dogcatcher, comptroller, city commission. Get involved and become a part of the solution. Be that candidate you want to see.

Those who start their political ambitions at that local level are generally the ones who elevate (unless you're a millionaire and buy your way to the front of the line). That is how you build expertise on key governance issues like municipal funding & county infrastructure, at the Conservation District Level, you can do a ton of amazing work funding projects that help wildlife, habitat and people.

It really comes down to the American people. Benjamin Franklin is famously attributed to saying on the last day of the Constitutional Convention that we have a republic, "if you can keep it."

His admonition was that we all have to be involved in maintaining our country if we want to preserve the freedoms that we have now.
Fealty smell test, donor/lobby subservience...then there's the greased skid seed planting of identity politics. But I admire your idealism.

Fealty smell test, donor/lobby subservience...then there's the greased skid seed planting of identity politics. But I admire your idealism.

100% those things all exist.
But we've allowed them to exist. It's kind of like labor organizing in way: Those with the wealth are entirely dependent upon labor to make them more money, but the labor classes often would rather fight amongst themselves than actually work to lift each other up (identity politics fueled by the donor & lobby class).

France had a pretty unique way of dealing with this in the late 1700's.

100% those things all exist.
But we've allowed them to exist. It's kind of like labor organizing in way: Those with the wealth are entirely dependent upon labor to make them more money, but the labor classes often would rather fight amongst themselves than actually work to lift each other up (identity politics fueled by the donor & lobby class).

France had a pretty unique way of dealing with this in the late 1700's.
Cake?

Instead of term limits or age restrictions, I'd want an annual cognitive and physical fitness test with the results published.
Fully agree. It just seems like a heck of a good idea. Its done in the military and most all public service positions other then those particular elected positions, (judicial, legislative, and Executive branches).

Our firefighters, police officers, military members and even a ton of other tech and industry jobs for the government require a prac exam to be employed.

You cant discriminate based on age, but if they cant pass a test 🤷‍♂️ then you dont get the job. It should be a yearly test.

You changed my mind on term limits-nice writing

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back