Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Term Limits

jejack26

The thread on the passing of Feinstein evolved into a discussion about term limits. Not wanting to hijack the intent of that thread, but did want to weigh in

If you want a serious read about why we need term limits read "Draining The Swamp" by Congressman Ken Buck. He wrote it after his freshman year. I really wish he had titled it different.

I used to believe the institutional knowledge outweighed the benefits of term limits. Not any more.

The thread on the passing of Feinstein evolved into a discussion about term limits. Not wanting to hijack the intent of that thread, but did want to weigh in

If you want a serious read about why we need term limits read "Draining The Swamp" by Congressman Ken Buck. He wrote it after his freshman year. I really wish he had titled it different.

I used to believe the institutional knowledge outweighed the benefits of term limits. Not any more.

As much as he left in it, he left out from tortilla coast and a joint by a BB&T. Provided he has written one already, I think he should do a follow up given what's occurred since and their (freedom caucus) discussions during.

Decent book, they have a video series floating around as well that I'd recommend, but if memory serves is as much about the book as the political figures?

The freshman learned a lot. Got "whipped" a lot, and thats reflective partially now towards Kevin mccarthy, during the Boehner/Paul years.

I agree much with term limits, but imposed from the voting booth, not by law. Of course, that's if the 12th & 17th are gone as well.

Otherwise, the foxes will never vote themselves out of the henhouse

Last edited:
Totally for term limits. But since the term is set by the US Constitution, we are going to have to see an amendment to force term limits (just like for President). Until then, nothing we can do. We need to figger out how to get enough interest in term limits to make it happen.

Do understand, the Congress was all over limiting the Presidential terms. Think they want to put themselves out of office?

Best to put our time and effort someplace else. There will never be a Congress/Senate that will vote themselves out of very, very financially lucrative jobs. You have to change human nature first.

David
NM

Not going to read the book, but curious what a guy who has been in an elected office for nearly 20 years and in his current position for five election cycles think term limits should be?
If I'm picking up what you're putting down

"I'll quit when I pass term limits, golly I reckon"

My us senator, I believe, has been in politics (state rep all the way to us senator) since 1957.

Charles "grandpa chuck" Grassley. Born 1933.

Who in the world thinks he has any concept, working concept, of anything today to be, quite frankly, reflective of modern society?

Does he know how to start a modern car, keyless? Like how long would that take him?

I mean clinically, should a 90 year old head any governmental body, committee or position?

When people ask me, both sides, if I'm voting for grassley-"no, I wouldn't vote for him to run the snow plow or garbage truck or city mowers.

Well, here's something, I guess. tl;dr It's gotta be regulated, not voted. There has to be an amendment.

The reason term limits need to be regulated is limiting them by vote is something most people cannot bring themselves to do. It requires voting for the other team. Yuck. Try it against an incumbent you feel won't lose. I bet you still won't like doing it.

We can use David Perdue of Georgia as an example. Libertarian voting and republican voters declining to vote pushed his race to a run-off which he lost, effectively term-limiting him by vote. The GA GOP knew we didn't want him. They would rather have the D win than give us a representative candidate or even have Perdue make concessions to the Libertarians who held the votes he needed to win. So why would the Rs accept a D before giving us a representative R?

In Georgia, the election laws, made and preserved by both Ds and Rs, are heavily weighted to keep anyone not D nor R from running. You only get to choose from between the two. It doesn't really matter a whole lot to the parasite class which, because they can buy either one. The important thing is to get one in and keep him in to preserve their investment.

It's gets worse. The GOP only really had a party here after it became necessary to make a political fashion statement to differentiate oneself as a social conservative, separate from the socially liberal democrats. Both are liberal in terms of growing government. They really are all the same for the most part. (I believe the county I'm in didn't have a republican party until the fifties or sixties.) It's not D vs R. It's blue D vs red D. Neither represents the common voter.

So, voting isn't going to get anything different from same-same. Term limits could make a difference. Is it worth it to buy someone who won't be in long? Is it worth the trouble and expense to control primaries to field an unproven horse? How many times do they do it before they run out of people who can win against representative candidates?

If I'm picking up what you're putting down

"I'll quit when I pass term limits, golly I reckon"

My us senator, I believe, has been in politics (state rep all the way to us senator) since 1957.

Charles "grandpa chuck" Grassley. Born 1933.

Who in the world thinks he has any concept, working concept, of anything today to be, quite frankly, reflective of modern society?

Does he know how to start a modern car, keyless? Like how long would that take him?

I mean clinically, should a 90 year old head any governmental body, committee or position?

When people ask me, both sides, if I'm voting for grassley-"no, I wouldn't vote for him to run the snow plow or garbage truck or city mowers.
I think Grassley is the exception. But term limits, not age, should determine it. But good luck getting the very people we would see exit the office pass the amendment that could put them out of work.

David
NM

I think Grassley is the exception. But term limits, not age, should determine it. But good luck getting the very people we would see exit the office pass the amendment that could put them out of work.

David
NM
Now, in a republican manner, sure. But a Democrat would disagree.

Where ever there's a grandpa grassley (biased for R) there's a grandma Feinstein (biased for D).

He can't convince me he's in tune with the world that is. Just as I'd say Russia isn't my boogeyman simply because it's my dad's or grandpas.

Times passed him by, and for any evidence R/D/I or otherwise, watch any hearings from either side of the branch relative tech, fintech etc. They have no idea what the concept even is that's being discussed based on their questions.

Sure, there's aides helping and formulating Q's, but that only gets them to 1st base. After that, it might as well be "so if you put a military base on an island, how will you stop it from tipping over" or "insert question during any Facebook/twitter hearing".

They fundamentally are the average demographic of congress, while being an outlier to the constituency. They aren't out raising kids. They aren't buying first homes. They aren't starting companies and making payroll. They aren't up late grading tests. They aren't going to the grocery store and conferences. They aren't plowing fields, hauling cattle, shoveling snow. And when they were, that was a different world and a lifetime ago.

We deserve who we get, as it's who we vote for. May be good for "our side" but it's a raw deal for the country.

I wanna say that the reason we have to deal with the Feinsteins, McConnells, Schumers is because they are so indebted to their money masters, that they can't afford to lose an election. Look at Menendez right now, after his last round thru the legal system, he literally picked up where he left off! ( I'm not saying he is or isn't guilty of the new charges, because we're all innocent until proven as such) We do need term limits, do away with lifetime healthcare and pension systems for our elected officials. Make stricter laws for them to follow, making it easier to remove them from office and losing any benefits.

I wanna say that the reason we have to deal with the Feinsteins, McConnells, Schumers is because they are so indebted to their money masters, that they can't afford to lose an election. Look at Menendez right now, after his last round thru the legal system, he literally picked up where he left off! ( I'm not saying he is or isn't guilty of the new charges, because we're all innocent until proven as such) We do need term limits, do away with lifetime healthcare and pension systems for our elected officials. Make stricter laws for them to follow, making it easier to remove them from office and losing any benefits.

I've been apart of an "ethics investigation" from the house, as a private citizen unrelated and as a separate business to the member of congress, which is more akin to the movie mean girls than a judicial system in a banana republic.

The head of OCE was under criminal investigation for drunkenly beating women and they didn't take kindly to the irony being pointed out in the face of it all.

The "violation" to kick it off was over an official government photo a website builder used in an "about us" section on a websites beta copy that went live.

The website builder even said "yea, I just googled a photo of him, it was just a beta copy we were testing, what's the big deal". Yet, somehow they figure that earned them (OCE) rights to 5 or 7 years of financial statements from the member and his partner and their businesses, me and my businesses, and the website builder and his company, interviews, testimony, etc.

Over $140k in lawyer fees were paid in whole across 3 parties before a hearty "get 'bent' or jail me" was said.

No "guilt" was ever found. No sorry. No chance of cross suit. No cross examination of the 'witness' (anonymous). Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

A picture. While the head of OCE was under criminal investigation, on cctv, drunkenly assaulting women and still in his post.

Last year he earned a DUI, and as I recall, still at his post. A dui and a woman beater, head of OCE.

Here's looking at you, Omar Ashmawy.

I don't feel bad for our country. We asked for this.

Now, in a republican manner, sure. But a Democrat would disagree.

Where ever there's a grandpa grassley (biased for R) there's a grandma Feinstein (biased for D).

He can't convince me he's in tune with the world that is. Just as I'd say Russia isn't my boogeyman simply because it's my dad's or grandpas.

Times passed him by, and for any evidence R/D/I or otherwise, watch any hearings from either side of the branch relative tech, fintech etc. They have no idea what the concept even is that's being discussed based on their questions.

Sure, there's aides helping and formulating Q's, but that only gets them to 1st base. After that, it might as well be "so if you put a military base on an island, how will you stop it from tipping over" or "insert question during any Facebook/twitter hearing".

They fundamentally are the average demographic of congress, while being an outlier to the constituency. They aren't out raising kids. They aren't buying first homes. They aren't starting companies and making payroll. They aren't up late grading tests. They aren't going to the grocery store and conferences. They aren't plowing fields, hauling cattle, shoveling snow. And when they were, that was a different world and a lifetime ago.

We deserve who we get, as it's who we vote for. May be good for "our side" but it's a raw deal for the country.
What's the solution?

What's the solution?
Constructively, much much higher levels of accountability, lower Congressional member budgets, salaries tied to district medians, voters to pull better civic duties, usda being in the midwest, blm out west not in DC, 12TH and 17th repealed... On and on.

All of which would require the foxes to vote against themselves running the henhouse.

So, pipe dreams basically.

Constructively, much much higher levels of accountability, lower Congressional member budgets, salaries tied to district medians, voters to pull better civic duties, usda being in the midwest, blm out west not in DC, 12TH and 17th repealed... On and on.

All of which would require the foxes to vote against themselves running the henhouse.

So, pipe dreams basically.
No more stock market trading all money they have in the market should be managed by a single entity so if the country does good so do they

No more stock market trading all money they have in the market should be managed by a single entity so if the country does good so do they
It's interesting, they can be sitting executives at companies, so long as they aren't compensated...but there's legalese that allows something pretty close to insider trading for them that you or I would be jailed over.

Back