Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Term limits

That's up to the voters of Alaska to decide, isn't it?
The only other option is a D, and they aren't exactly electible in this state. There is zero reason why Don Young should be up for reelection for the 25th time.

I'm not sure where the governance came from? Does that mean all presidents are useless, or are you advocating for removing their term limit?

The only other option is a D, and they aren't exactly electible in this state. There is zero reason why Don Young should be up for reelection for the 25th time.

I'm not sure where the governance came from? Does that mean all presidents are useless, or are you advocating for removing their term limit?
Throw your hat in the ring?

One phrase I heard this week that astutely characterizes our current political state of affairs is when “where you stand (on an issue or or how you evaluate an action) is determined by where you sit (or how you voted”. But that seems to be human nature, unfortunately. For elected officials, being able to judge things independent of re-election concerns would be a gift I would love to give them.

Regarding the polarized or Tribal status of our political world, a pretty good article - if reading fits your fancy:

I enjoyed that link, the key is trying to see where each of us fit within those biases, then trying to work to overcome them.

You have other options in the primary and yes, maybe even voting for a dem. Murkowski did it as an independent.

If your party is only allowing one person in the ballot, then you have the ability to get involved at the party level & help make that change as well.

The executive branch is much different than the legislative branch. There, career public servants who are skilled in their areas implement the laws passed by Congress. The president oversees that administration (among other powers, which Congress has unfortunately bestowed many.
mor epowers than originally designed) and most importantly, the President is the commander in chief. Limiting that power - the power to wage war and use the military to enforce domestic agendas, is why we have the checks & balances of power that exist in our constitution. The presidency was never intended to be a dictatorship or monarchy.

Can you blame them? Who should they pay attention to? When lying becomes acceptable and truth become arbitrary what do you expect people to do? We've allowed the system to become so dysfunctional people simply don't have any faith in it.

When people can be bankrupted by corporate hospitals and global insurance empires for medical bills related cancer treatment for a cancer they got from exposure to some environmental contamination caused by big business and foreign industry and our congressional representatives approve every step of that process, there's no wonder people have lost faith in the system and therefore choose not to participate.

Yes I do blame them. Who puts these people in office? As far as I'm concerned if you don't vote don't cry.

Just like jury duty voting can be a PITA but in the end it's the only recourse we have.

I don't lose a lot of sleep over this crap. In the end I have to do the best I can no matter who's in office or what they're doing. But I do pay attention, vote and when I'm really pissed, or rarely happy, I let them know with a email and even a phone call or 2.

3 things that would fix a hell of a lot:

1) Non-partisan primaries: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/10/what-if-the-parties-didnt-run-primaries/411022/

2) Ranked-choice voting: https://www.fairvote.org/rcv#where_is_ranked_choice_voting_used

3) Give GIS professionals the keys to the castle when configuring district boundaries. A very sound analysis would result in boundaries that are far less "fixed". It would near-functionally eliminate gerrymandering. http://www.cornellpolicyreview.com/...lysis-political-unintentional-gerrymandering/

In fact, give GIS professionals the keys to most castles.;)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back