Caribou Gear Tarp

Term Limits

Maybe this is a dumb idea. But I like to think some kind of Written test to measure someone's abilities to run a country would be interesting to see. I work in the software world, and when we interview applicants we often have a practical exam they take to prove the skills they say they have.

Example: For a software engineer job, we have them write a solution in any code language they want to solve a problem. Could be simple or complicated depending on the role we are trying to fill at the time. Then we ask them to write out the test scenario to prove out their coded solution.

Software world is not the only place they have practical exams for applicants. I think that could be a valuable thing for presidential candidates. Knowledge is lost if your not actively educating yourself. That would certainly weed out folks.
Use the military ASVAB. If they are going to be commander in chief they should be able to site higher than a cook.

Fully agree. It just seems like a heck of a good idea. Its done in the military and most all public service positions other then those particular elected positions, (judicial, legislative, and Executive branches).

Our firefighters, police officers, military members and even a ton of other tech and industry jobs for the government require a prac exam to be employed.

You cant discriminate based on age, but if they cant pass a test 🤷‍♂️ then you dont get the job. It should be a yearly test.
They do- president must be 35 minimum, in theory, to have life experience.

In the same right, should have an age maximum, at which point wisdom would tell you you're no longer qualified or competent (like pilots)

Many firms do a max age for partners, military has one for enlistment I believe, but clearly not for...physical or mental defects..

We as a country must look real tough with men in skirts to other countries, and I ain't talking kilts..

According to the Mountain House thread, this is about 40% of the forum.

Your first term, you're trying to learn where the bathrooms and committee rooms are. You're looking to forge alliances, fill committee obligations and figure out which interns will squeal, and which will play ball. Your second term is when you feel a little more confident, but you still don't know shit about shit.

The American public is the ultimate term limit. If the voters are too apathetic to do their job, reducing our options of qualified people is the worst thing we can do. It's like asking plumber to rewire your network.
Then learn "shit about shit" and get on with it like the rest of us have to do in a job. I realize it's a pipe dream to actually think the government can accomplish something but a guy can deam.

Here's how I imagine day 1 goes on both sides.

Newly Elected: Eager to get started and get to work!
Party Leadership: Shut up rookie!, Sit down and let me tell you how this works!. You do what I say, vote how I say, don't ask questions. Failure to comply will result in you not being here long!
Newly Elected: Deer in headlight look.....Does exactly as told.

Party Leadership: Shut up rookie!, Sit down and let me tell you how this works!. You do what I say, vote how I say, don't ask questions. Failure to comply will result in you not being here long!
Fairly confident it goes something like that.

More like:

Newly Elected: I'm here to save the world! Look at these 43 bills I'm going to introduce
Leadership: Yeah, you are introducing bills that never made it out of committee. Let me guess, your friends at XYZ organization told you this was a good idea?
NE: Well, yes, but look - this time I think we can get it done!
Leadership: Great. What's your vote count for committee and floor? How does approps look at this and what is opposition planning? What's your plan for the Senate and I assume you've already had discussions with the executive to make sure there are no underlying issues?
NE: Deer in the headlights, Well, no... runs bill anyway - wastes everyone's time and taxpayer dollars.

Then learn "shit about shit" and get on with it like the rest of us have to do in a job. I realize it's a pipe dream to actually think the government can accomplish something but a guy can deam.

The rest of us aren't having to deal with the geopolitical ramifications of fiscal policies. This isn't drywalling or IT - it's a bit more involved than that.

Gov't can move fast and accomplish things, but every lobbyist knows - there's no money to be made in solving a problem. Get rid of the money in politics, and it gets better.

Fairly confident it goes something like that.
Forgot:
-if you want an A committee, raise x amount for us, in addition to whatever you need to raise for re-election, otherwise, you may get a B committee assignment.

The rest of us aren't having to deal with the geopolitical ramifications of fiscal policies. This isn't drywalling or IT - it's a bit more involved than that.

Gov't can move fast and accomplish things, but every lobbyist knows - there's no money to be made in solving a problem. Get rid of the money in politics, and it gets better.
It wasn't designed to move fast, quick, or spend money with haste, and was cautioned against dealing with geopolitics. Each leg was designed to work against both itself and the other branches.

Back