Tent stove ?

I used a barrel stove kit from ace hardware with a 30 gallon drum and couldn't be happier. Stoke it once each night. Came with door, damper, pipe adapter, and legs for around 70 smackers. Got the drum from local garage for free and my ten year old put it together.

That seems like a steal on that kit. Did it require a bunch of welding like most? I couldn't see much welding in the pictures.

Thanks for the tip.

The only welding I had to do was putting the lid back on. Which is the back of the stove, I only tacked it every six inches or so rather than putting a continuous weld. And then of course a flat plate on top for coffee pot. It literally took my son maybe two hours to put together. I was just in the local ace hardware the other day and saw they still have the kits on their shelf. Oh and all of the pipe fits nicely inside without having to split them.

Those pellet stoves are a no brainer if you don't have, or don't feel like...hauling a chain saw, and fuel around with you, especially if your traveling across state. Not everyone has trailers to haul all their gear. If it's just your pickup or SUV...clean and easy.

...and nope, I don't have one, just sounds nice when it is such low maintenance.

Chainsaw

You guys may laugh at this but I've learned to hate chainsaws!!!😱. I live at 500 ft elevation and have a nightmare of a time to get one started and keep it running at 8500+ feet. I think they are setup different??? Most states also prohibit transportation of firewood. We have a butcher board factory in town that I can get scraps from. I hate hauling wood but not as much as I hate chainsaws!

I have that same Cabelas stove listed above, which can also be found online under the Campchef brand I believe. It works great in my 12x12 Alaknak tent, which probably doesn't hold the heat as well as the heavier canvas tents most of you guys are using.

Now, this stove will eaasily heat a biggerr tent. I regularly cook on top of this stove and it gets over 400deg quite easily, as I have a Thermometer on it at all times. Fried bacon and potatoes and 2-3min to toast bread done regularly. That said, it won't burn all night, typically 4hrs no problem.

Key to happy experrience with stove is good wood. Dry. No or min pitch. Right size. In Idaho we have little hardwood like I grew up with (Oak and Madrone). I use tent roadside, so I bring a simple propane heater for big tank that serves lanterrn, which we use to warm tent in AM. Works great as we are usually fed, dressed, and leaving in less than an hour so min moisture. Run wood to dry place out in evening anyway.

Easy to find side mounted water heater, though a tall coffee pot or any pot works as well, it just get's in the way of cooking at times.

I do also keep an extra screen for the top of the pipe available if I wake up at night and smell smoke, as that is usualy the culprit when a wet or sappy piece of wood is used. Takes a pair of stove mit's and 1 min to fix the probem on my tent. I do not recommend opening your door as hot embers tend to find their way out onto the floor. I recommend some form of fire proof or resistent material under/around the door to avoid the pea sized burn holes I got learning

Good luck. Nothing better than a warm/dry tent with a pot of stew and toasted bread while it's freezing cold outside.

Get a good sleeping bag and you don't need a fire at nite!

I go with this!!! We FINALLY convinced my hunting buddy's Dad to lay off the coal at night :) I hate the old zipper down....zipper up dance. That being said, we use a GI pot belly stove and it works great in our GP small and our other buddy's alaknak.

As for the chainsaw....I LOVE any chance to run my Poulan Pro :) They are a lil finicky at altitude (we camp at 9200') but being a lil patient with the choke always gets me good results.

We made a propane heater out of a convection construction heater
. Sealed all the vents around the top area and welded a 4 inch chimney hole in back of heater to hook chimney up to it the chimney hole is about 4 inches from top to trap heat. We use a chimney tee at back of heater and leave bottom of tee open and hook chimney up to the top of tee this works very well for us an will keep 12 x14 tent 90 degrees if we want it.we also use a 12 volt 2 speed fan to blow heat around tent. This works Good if you aren't packing in. John

Thanks

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help on this topic. It's a great resource having you guys and gals to ask.

If $ is not an issue its hard to beat these http://fourdog.com/titanium-ul-stoves/.You can keep them burning all if you remember to throw a couple pcs. in when nature calls

I own a 3-dog (non-Ti) stove. Well made, and I get 4+hrs on lodgepole. If I had the skill/material to build a stove, I can't think of anything I would change from the design of the four dogs. My dad was heating a huge garage with his for a while, before he got his wood boiler installed....

I'm glad someone finally made a comment about having a good sleeping bag. A couple of your comments let me know you're very new to camping with a stove. You've got good questions.

It seems as if your major concern is keeping a stove/tent warm all night. IMO the stove should not be relied upon to keep you comfortable at night. Its not like having a thermostat on your furnace. You should plan for having no heat and use the stove to keep you warm(er) and comfortable when you are in camp and to help dry out clothing. It is a great luxury, but dont rely on it.

If you're waking up because you're cold, then you don't have the right gear. I would spend the money on a good sleeping system before you buy a tent and wood stove.

I love warm tent camping and I winter camp with a warm tent and cold tent, but my sleeping bag will always match the weather because you cant always rely on having a fire or good fuel. I know everyone has their own style, but you should make sure you could still survive if the temps drop 20 degrees and your stove isn't keeping up.

Good luck

stoves and such

A couple things. Running good hardwood like sugar maple, ash, red or white oak, that is bone dry makes all the difference. This will give off enormous heat, but more importantly, it lets you turn the damper near shut and shut down the air intake. Those hardwood chunks will glow for at least 6 or 7 hours. Next, the stove has to be air tight or very nearly so, otherwise you just can't control the burn enough to last all night. I have a stove I bought (25 yrs ago) from the EENA wall tent co., I think they called it the all - nighter.
I run a stack robber and a cone screen arrestor on top. Again, your wood has to be good quality and DRY, or these things will foul and choke off a good draw. I put thin fire bricks in the bottom to guard burn though. I will now be running a 4 Dog stove, as it's design is closest to what I've had but bigger, and a bit heavier. Good camps to all.

I just picked up a 5 dogger this week. It looks like a great stove. Can't wait to fire it up!!

we built a 30gallon barrel stove last year worked awesome! kit was$60ish found a barrel on craigslist and heated 12x12 alaknak great in wyoming. we sealed it with some wood stove sealer and couldnt behappier. at end of season i cleaned real good and sprayed everyinch down with CPC to make it last while stored.

Being from Illinois you should be able to bring some green oak/hickory wood. That would help keep the fire going all night.

we built a 30gallon barrel stove last year worked awesome! kit was$60ish found a barrel on craigslist and heated 12x12 alaknak great in wyoming. we sealed it with some wood stove sealer and couldnt behappier. at end of season i cleaned real good and sprayed everyinch down with CPC to make it last while stored.

I was wondering where you got your kit from? Also, and don't laugh, what is CPC? Guessing it's an oil of sorts.

Moving firewood

I know that several of you guys are mentioning bringing firewood and yes I have tons of good oak here. I thought it was illegal to transport firewood into most NF etc due to transmitting beetles and other diseases?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back