Tent stove ?

81hntn

I am heading out to Wyoming for an elk rifle hunt this fall. I know there is always a good chance of snow in October and now it looks like the season is getting moved back to October 15. My buddy and I are building a camp stove and I've got some questions. The tent will be a 12x12 wall tent and I DONT want to stoke a fire all night.

Any suggestions on shape?

Any suggestions on size for an all night burn?

Also been reading that some have baffles. If necessary, how far down from the top do you place one?

I've used propane in the past with disastrous results (moisture) and would really like to build a good stove.... Once the right way! Thanks for the help.

Stove

It's not so much about savings as it is about doing something yourself. I just figured that you guys probably camp a lot more than most and might have some suggestions. Curious as to what you guys put under the stove? My tent floor unzips but I'm thinking I should put something under it. Also, do most guys keep it burning while out? Just seems pretty scary to me.

I built my own, its been trial and error but i think ive gotten the kinks fixed, burn time depends on wood. Pine burns fast and i might get 4-5 hrs out of it. I burned some juniper stuff down in new mexico and that lasted about 6 hrs. Coals the only stuff ive found to burn all night long.

Ill take some pictures when i get home.

I had a baffle in it but it caused some seriouse blowback of smoke so i cut that out and seems to work alot better.

Baffle

Without a baffle in it do you worry about sparks on the top of the tent? Just hate to loose the waterproof ability of the tent or even worse, torch it!:(

Someone around here a few years ago was showing off a cool homemade pellet stove for a wall tent. It was pretty cool. Only fallback was you would have to buy and pack pellets with you to camp. It took up hardly any space and could go all night.

I think there is a dirty joke in that last sentence somewhere.

Last edited:
Cush for the win! :p

On note of the stove, I found grates and other means to engineer air routing, etc defeat the operation of the wood burning stove. Trial and error and others may disagree though IMO, the biggest win is confining initial smoke to the pipe while gaining an effective draft.

Actually, better stated, engineering has a bitch with this and typically one of the hardest hurdles to overcome for myself - don't over analyze.

A stove door can stay open as an easy measure of the draft activity based on how wide open the door is positioned. If the draft is operational - smoke goes where smoke is pulled.

As for screens, they are an ally though can turn enemy. Easy access to a screen is often at the top of the pipe. A screen must stay reasonably clean of soot build up and soot mixed with moisture is one quick way to clog the venting of the unwanted in the tent.

I tried a stack robber and that was a terrible night - finally tearing the dang thing out in the middle of the night with smoke, stove still rolling - Again, the more added, the more problems.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Box holds wood and coals. Damper to control draft. Screen at top of pipe to reduce hot embers.

warm tent for friends mean - 5 hours stoking the box with wood.
Quarters are good during times awake. Rounds are good while sleeping.

We all have our thoughts. Mine has personal trial and error and I am happy with where I am at with my camp setting now.

Best to you and your design. I enjoy the heck out of building "stuff". Supposed to save money - least that is my excuse for my wife though she often reminds me after all is said and done - I really did not save much if anything to finally have a product worth use.

It's the journey though. :) priceless

Charring

Thanks for all the information and the joke:). I've heard guys talk about sand in the bottom of the stove. Is this to keep the bottom from getting so hot? Couldn't a guy just put taller legs on?

You said you used propane, and had a moisture problem just curious did you use a chimney? My first attempt at propane had the same results. After installing a chimney we were much more comfortable, the moisture was not a surprise but the amount was. even with the windows open.

No, I didn't use a chimney the first time. We woke in the mornings with everything soaking wet!!! My ignorance of this kind of camping told my that it was just condensation. I'm looking forward to the wood stove just a little worried. I know we will try it out here before we go but that'll be a far cry from the mountains of Wyomimg.

I used a barrel stove kit from ace hardware with a 30 gallon drum and couldn't be happier. Stoke it once each night. Came with door, damper, pipe adapter, and legs for around 70 smackers. Got the drum from local garage for free and my ten year old put it together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 728
Back