Titanium stove & Teepee tent questions

I was just out this weekend. You’re going to love it.

- Wood gathering. Do you take a small hatchet or something like a silky boy small saw? I’ve started taking both. I have the Silky Gomboy 240, not sure I would take anything smaller. I love it, super sharp and works through logs fast. The hatchet is heavy but useful around camp and in other scenarios.

- Two things with opening the front door. It has a wire loop, but feel that is hot and doesn’t stay on all the way when the door is 75% open… it just falls off the track. My thought is a small leatherman with pliers for opening and closing the door, or is the tool extra weight not really needed? Look at “grill gloves” on amazon. Cheap, and I use them for processing wood, opening the door, putting logs in (it’ll get extremely hot, burn your fingers a couple times and you’ll want special gloves) as well as in an emergency, they allow you to grab and remove the stove pipe and get the stove out of your tent.

- Do you bring extra leather gloves? See above.

- Stoke the fire throughout the night or let it burn out? Stove or not, I’m up every couple hours anyway, so I stoke throughout the night. I’ve found that if you can cut some logs that are 2”-3” in diameter and the length of the stove, you have to stoke it with 3 or 4 of them every couple hours, so constant stoke is about 30-35 logs.

- Tips to not rolling into a hot stove in your sleep?! You’ll roll less than you think. Obviously don’t sleep uphill from the stove, put your sleep gear so you slide down not across the tent. If you can find some rocks, put them between you and the stove.

- Does high winds that cause the tent to shake cause concern for the pipe coming off the stove? I haven’t had an issue with high winds doing this, but haven’t had it in anything over 20mph.

You’ll enjoy the glow of the fire and the heat out there. I’ve tried to go ultralight as possible, and even so, with rifle and spotting scope and a gallon of water, my pack is about 65lbs. Find someone to go with you to split some weight. Have fun!

View attachment 313129
Sounds light for all your gear. Every time I cut something I end up needing it in a trip or two. Guess I just need a few mule.

I was just out this weekend. You’re going to love it.

- Wood gathering. Do you take a small hatchet or something like a silky boy small saw? I’ve started taking both. I have the Silky Gomboy 240, not sure I would take anything smaller. I love it, super sharp and works through logs fast. The hatchet is heavy but useful around camp and in other scenarios.

- Two things with opening the front door. It has a wire loop, but feel that is hot and doesn’t stay on all the way when the door is 75% open… it just falls off the track. My thought is a small leatherman with pliers for opening and closing the door, or is the tool extra weight not really needed? Look at “grill gloves” on amazon. Cheap, and I use them for processing wood, opening the door, putting logs in (it’ll get extremely hot, burn your fingers a couple times and you’ll want special gloves) as well as in an emergency, they allow you to grab and remove the stove pipe and get the stove out of your tent.

- Do you bring extra leather gloves? See above.

- Stoke the fire throughout the night or let it burn out? Stove or not, I’m up every couple hours anyway, so I stoke throughout the night. I’ve found that if you can cut some logs that are 2”-3” in diameter and the length of the stove, you have to stoke it with 3 or 4 of them every couple hours, so constant stoke is about 30-35 logs.

- Tips to not rolling into a hot stove in your sleep?! You’ll roll less than you think. Obviously don’t sleep uphill from the stove, put your sleep gear so you slide down not across the tent. If you can find some rocks, put them between you and the stove.

- Does high winds that cause the tent to shake cause concern for the pipe coming off the stove? I haven’t had an issue with high winds doing this, but haven’t had it in anything over 20mph.

You’ll enjoy the glow of the fire and the heat out there. I’ve tried to go ultralight as possible, and even so, with rifle and spotting scope and a gallon of water, my pack is about 65lbs. Find someone to go with you to split some weight. Have fun!

View attachment 313129
My stove has a glass front door so able to watch the fire a bit better. Ditto on the 2-3 inch logs to bank at night. I add large rocks to help prolong the warmth so I never stoke after I go to bed. The rocks also help to prevent accidentally rolling into the stove. For winter hunting, I have an inner nest with a bathtub floor so between that and the center tent pole, have never hit the stove. Mine is also more offset to one side than yours so that adds some additional buffering. Ditto on leather gloves. I only take a small hand folding handsaw. Axe is too heavy for the value it brings. I solo hunt so I have to carry everything. Winter pack is ~65 lbs for 5 days. I don't pack water, just filter once I get setup. I guy out the tent midway up the sides and haven't had any issues in winds up to 40 mph gusts (see earlier comment). The one time I didn't, came back at the end of the day with the chimney pipe laying on its side. It was cold before I left in the morning but it hit home that I could never let that happen again. That is one area I am ultra-sensitive to now. Rocks also help prevent any tip-overs.

Having a snow skirt helps a lot, though the tent the OP asked about doesn’t appear to have one. In that case I would try to put logs or even rocks and dirt as a wind block if I could. The updraft helps with condensation but if it’s too much it’s no bueno.

I also guy out my stove pipe now unless I am really sheltered from the wind. I just fixed some wire loops around one of the pipe rings and attached some orange para cord to the loops. I had my stove tip a couple of times before I learned my lesson.

My only opinion on these is don't go with a Luxe. The tents are good but the customer service is terrible. My tent bag ripped on the first trip I used it on and they wouldn't send me another one so I offered to pay for it and they wouldn't even let me buy one. I would have literally had to buy another tent to get the little stuff sack. 😡

Just got the argali titanium stove and love it!

Teepee tents and hot stoves are brand new to me and I’m looking for some pro tips.

Some initial questions that I have:

- Wood gathering. Do you take a small hatchet or something like a silky boy small saw?

- Two things with opening the front door. It has a wire loop, but feel that is hot and doesn’t stay on all the way when the door is 75% open… it just falls off the track. My thought is a small leatherman with pliers for opening and closing the door, or is the tool extra weight not really needed?

- Do you bring extra leather gloves?

- Stoke the fire throughout the night or let it burn out?

- Tips to not rolling into a hot stove in your sleep?!

- Does high winds that cause the tent to shake cause concern for the pipe coming off the stove?

Any other pro tips on using the tent and stove the best way would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 290749
Look into Luxe!

Look into Luxe!
I bought a Luxe Hexpeak XL with Ti stove and inner nest in 2017. To date, it has never failed me. I use it monthly for 2-3 day trips during the spring/summer here in CO and then for 7-10 hunting trips in the fall (Oct-Nov). Great product. I have never had to contact customer service for help. A few years ago, the dealership changed (??) and the customer service tanked based on what I have seen from others. That's a shame. Based on that, i wouldn't recommend them. Perhaps their customer service has improved of late but I haven't heard anything that would suggest it has. At this point, I think Luxe is a risky proposition and there are several equally as good hot tents to be had that have good customer service. Just my $0.02.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back