Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tenderloin - Not Backstrap.... It is always tough!

Guess it depends on your version of "done" for bacon is. I use pretty high heat on my charcoal grill, and the bacon is cooked but nowhere near crispy. I normally end up with a nice medium rare to medium depending on the size of my tenderloins. Whitetail here.

True Dave, I'm thinking elk tenders..rare

IMHO a grill is a poor tool for wild game, unless you really really know what your doing and understand the differences in cuts/species/etc. I do not and therefore I don't use it
Man I pretty much only use my grill for all meat, and grill every thing the same way. But I've been using the same grill for 10+ years and know it very well. I grill at high heat and not for very long. Might have that similar searing affect. The meat bleeds when I take it off. I'll let it sit for a while too, if I have the patience. Usually I don't.

So everybody always raves about the tenderloin. Not the back strap but the tenderloin that sits on the bottom of the spine. I have tried grilling it within a few hours of the kill, letting it marinate for 2 days, let it sit for 4 days. And each time it is super tough. Am I missing something here or is this piece just tough? I have the same consensus with deer and antelope. Unless someone sheds some light, It will go in the grind pile. I always eat it and love the taste, but its just tough and not a coveted cut in my opinion. Do you guys slow cook these things or what?

What I bet is happening is you are cooking too fast and at too high of heat. If you cook tenderloin on the grill raise the grill up or lower the heat. Tenderloin cooked too fast toughtens up and no longer tender. It's a cut that is best done in a slow cooker with plenty of juice to cook it in. I wrap mine in foil and a bunch of goodies and broth and cook it for an hour at 275 to 300 degrees.

I will say the tenderest tenderloins I've ever had came from a fawn antelope fried about 45 min after it was shot.

IMHO a grill is a poor tool for wild game, unless you really really know what your doing and understand the differences in cuts/species/etc. I do not and therefore I don't use it.
I think a good wireless meat thermometer really makes or breaks the BBQ use on wild game.

Two areas that I have just recently stumbled on in the steak cooking arena is letting the steak warm up to room temperature before cooking it and letting it rest after cooking before eating.

I've always been a pull it out of the fridge, throw it on the grill, put it on the plate kind of guy.

I'm seeing much potential with this letting the steak come to room temperature before cooking and then letting it rest after cooking business, it just takes more planning and patience than I'm used to!

Two areas that I have just recently stumbled on in the steak cooking arena is letting the steak warm up to room temperature before cooking it and letting it rest after cooking before eating.

I've always been a pull it out of the fridge, throw it on the grill, put it on the plate kind of guy.

I'm seeing much potential with this letting the steak come to room temperature before cooking and then letting it rest after cooking business, it just takes more planning and patience than I'm used to!
Yep. Good things to remember. The other is to salt your meat a few hours (and even better the day before) before you cook it.

I think a good wireless meat thermometer really makes or breaks the BBQ use on wild game.
Thermometers are great but in the end keeping track of things as you cook is the best method. I poke and prod things on the grill and in the oven on a regular basis once the cut starts to cook.

What I bet is happening is you are cooking too fast and at too high of heat. If you cook tenderloin on the grill raise the grill up or lower the heat. Tenderloin cooked too fast toughtens up and no longer tender. It's a cut that is best done in a slow cooker with plenty of juice to cook it in. I wrap mine in foil and a bunch of goodies and broth and cook it for an hour at 275 to 300 degrees.

This may be my issue.. What i did this morning was take it out 30 or so minutes before cooking, then melted butter and cooked it in melted butter and garlic. It was definately not overcooked as the center was a dark meat color, not warm pink, more rare than i like actually, so the too hot might have been my issue.

Cook tenders hot and fast. Seat the hell out of them, don’t overcook and let them rest.

I only let if rest long enough to fry 2 eggs to go with. I intended to grill them but the 4 inches of snow last night made me chicken out at 6 am this morning.

Oh well, it was still tasty! I will try a little different next time around but at least I got backstraps left! I know how to cook those!

It's usually tender enough to cut with a fork, we would cook it simple, cut them into 1/4" medallions, or strips and then toss them in a hot skillet for about 2 mins, maybe add a dash of Buck's seasoning or S&P. 1 min on each side and down the hatch with some mashed or fried potatoes

anyone else getting hungry?

IMHO a grill is a poor tool for wild game, unless you really really know what your doing and understand the differences in cuts/species/etc. I do not and therefore I don't use it.

I generally prefer cast iron, but have great results on the grill with wild game. IMO there's no secret, just don't overcook anything you put on there, be very conservative on your times. Takes a bit of time to understand your grill - if anyone were to give a crap, my advice with grills is don't just go willy nilly cooking wild game, or any quality steak, beef or whatever, on a grill that you're using for the first time, or perhaps even the 2nd or 3rd time for that matter. I've ruined white tail and antelope back strap that way, and ruined quality new york strips on a vacation with my in-laws that way.

I've found that back strap that comes out with a solid 3/4" inch of borderline still cold uncooked meat in the middle because you were so scared of over cooking it you pulled it off the grill after 2 minutes is actually... well, fantastic. So I always err on the extreme side of caution on time.

I would use my cast irons every day, but when the condo your renting doesn't have a functional hood... well...

I would certainly put the cast irons on the grill, but I currently am grilling on a tail gate camp grill on the patio; doesn't accommodate my cast irons very well.

I would use my cast irons every day, but when the condo your renting doesn't have a functional hood... well...

That's where the avocado oil comes in, if your using something with a high enough smoke point then it's not really and issue. If you're trying to sear with butter... good luck.

I like to cook tenderloins in a crock pot or slow cooker at home. but as I said, at camp, I like to wrap them in foil and surround them with onions and garlic, seasoning, plenty of butter and cook them slower, just close enough to the fire to get the proper heat. I am not fond of fried tenderloin myself.

I've tried a ton to different methods of cooking steaks, grill, sous vide, etc.

Here's how a professional chef at a high end restaurant in Denver taught me to cook steaks, this is the best way... honestly it's made all the difference in getting friends and family to enjoy wild game.

1. Preheat over to 450, put a cast iron pan in the oven when you turn it on.
2. Trim your meat of silver skin.
3. Season with salt, pepper (I like a bit of onion powder as well, but keep it simple you want to enjoy the meat)
4. Apply a light layer of avocado oil to each side (you can use whatever, avocado oil just has the highest smoke point)
5. Pull the cast iron pan out of the oven put the burner on high, get it super hot, quickly sear every side of the steak (maybe 15-30 seconds a side) this traps the juices
6. Put the cast iron pan + steak back in the oven, cook time depends on how thick the meat is and your temp preference. I do elk medalions for 2-3 min and an elk tenderloin for 10. Use a meat thermometer or the touch test to tell if it's ready.
7. Pull the pan out of the oven, wrap the steak in foil and let it rest for 10 min (literally set the kitchen timer for 10min and go have a beer, no cheating, no cutting into the meat to check, put the damn thing in the foil and walk away)
8. Serve.
That is EXACTLY how I cook mine, it has never failed me yet, well almost, I add up all the cooking time, so seal it in the pan, maybe a minute, then depending on the size of the steak chuck it in the oven for a few minutes, remove, cover in foil and rest for the TOTAL amount of cooking time, remove and slice across the grain, yummy!
Cheers
Richard

That is EXACTLY how I cook mine, it has never failed me yet, well almost, I add up all the cooking time, so seal it in the pan, maybe a minute, then depending on the size of the steak chuck it in the oven for a few minutes, remove, cover in foil and rest for the TOTAL amount of cooking time, remove and slice across the grain, yummy!
Cheers
Richard

Good idea. I sear my meat even steaks before I start frying or grilling them and seal in the juices. Avoids that dry taste and helps keep it tender. I like to get all surfaces of meat, even the sides seared before the actual cooking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back