MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tenderloin - Not Backstrap.... It is always tough!

I never use them as chops (there are no "steaks" on a properly butchered deer, ya redneck!), because they are lacking in character and too small, even butterflied. What I do with tenderloins is cut them into chunks, season lightly with salt, pepper, and rosemary, sear them a bit, cook up a bunch of button mushrooms, build a gravy, add the meat back in to heat everything up, add some sour cream and serve over noodles (or better yet, wild rice). Stroganoff to die for.

I agree with the others and potentially overcooked. However i experienced this as well with a doe antelope, the first antelope i ever ate i guess. I chalked it up as the norm for antelope or that it was too soon after harvest. Taste was fine but just tough.

Generally I've had good luck with tenderloins. That said, the tenderloins from my moose were the most disappointing cut of wild game I can remember. The rest of that bull was fine, for whatever reason his tenderloins were very tough. As big as they are on a moose, you get several meals out of them. I cooked them several different ways, didn't seem to matter. I'm pretty meticulous with meat care so not sure what the reason was. I should harvest another moose someday, just to prove it was a fluke :)

What I bet is happening is you are cooking too fast and at too high of heat. If you cook tenderloin on the grill raise the grill up or lower the heat. Tenderloin cooked too fast toughtens up and no longer tender. It's a cut that is best done in a slow cooker with plenty of juice to cook it in. I wrap mine in foil and a bunch of goodies and broth and cook it for an hour at 275 to 300 degrees.

Just cooked a Pork tenderloin moist and tasty. 🔥

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tbls olive or avacado oil
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder (I have chipotle)
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
salt and pepper to taste
marinate for 3-4 hrs
pat dry and allow to come to room temp, cook on super hot grill until done...grill marks are essential. Let rest at least 20 minutes then slice super thin. I've not done it but you can cook the marinade for a bit to add as a sauce.
If you ain't from Az. you aiin't makin' Pollo de' gallo' 🔥

You know I forgot to add something to this. I always use a meat thermometer on roasts, steaks and tenderloin. It tells me when it's done to where I want it without having to cut the meat open. I cook tenderloin until the internal temp is about 140 degrees after I first sear the outside in a hot pan of butter. Takes the guesswork out of it. I know some don't use a thermometer, but I always have since I had to fill in as a cook when we were short in my Army days when I had to cook a ton of steaks for a meal.

I’ve over-cooked them and they’re still the most tender thing on the animal. I do know that freezing or eating before the animal comes out of rigor can make the meat a lot tougher. I usually leave everything in a cooler for 3-7 days before processing and freezing.

Always leave them in the fridge for a few days after butchering, pull them out same day before they dry out at all, let come up to room temp for an hour or so, pan fried in butter and a little oil after a little salt and pepper, let rest for 15 mins, slice and enjoy. We do this to every inner that gets hung in the shed, and its always just enough, never any leftovers!697D11CA-E096-4BEA-8F2A-BDB9ABC58569.jpeg697D11CA-E096-4BEA-8F2A-BDB9ABC58569.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back