Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Teal?

skimerhorn

Anybody have any tips for teal? I got a spot in can hunt them now, this will be my first year trying for them

Never have done anything special. They seem to decoy readily to about anything. I guess I'd say keep your head on a swivel, shoot the first pass and have fun.

Get a spinner and hunt. I don't use spinners much but they are deadly early for teal.

Take lots of ammo. They are fun little buggers to shoot. Early season they usually decoy in very well. I've had them come in so fast before that they landed in my decoys before I could even get my shotgun up.

Mostly its a here today gone tomorrow kind of thing for teal, once the birds are in it doesn't take much to get them to decoy. Echoing the sentiment they are a ton of fun to hunt, shoot at and eat. Also warm duck hunting is a nice change of pace sometimes.

Teal decoys are nice, but you can just use a bunch of mallard hen decoys. I think spending the $15 for a blue wing teal call is worth it for the sake of getting their attention.

Get good at on-wing species identification if you are hunting a dedicated "teal only" season. Body size of teal is quite small compared to mallards, but nearly equal to woodducks and do I dare say, coots. Teal flight habits, wing flap speed and coloration all help in this endeavor.

Teal don't frequent deep open water areas, but favor shallow depths with lots of vegetation present.

I find that low volume calling (specific blue wing quacks and greenwing peeps) seems to increase flybys from as yet unseen teal singles/doubles/small groups, while I rarely have success in pulling down a high flying flock of teal seen far up or far off on the horizon.

There is nothing in the marsh to rival the sound of a large flock suddenly appearing and buzzing your decoys, turning in near unison with the sound of a mighty rushing wind over flight feathers.

Get good at on-wing species identification if you are hunting a dedicated "teal only" season. Body size of teal is quite small compared to mallards, but nearly equal to woodducks and do I dare say, coots. Teal flight habits, wing flap speed and coloration all help in this endeavor.

2 season's ago, a marsh I was hunting was holding about 50% teal and 50% wood ducks. Very tricky to tell the difference especially at first light. Game warder waited at the parking lot and handed out a half dozen tickets or so. Don't let it scare you, but do some scouting and if you know the area is heavy with woodies be cautious. That's the only year in the past 10 years I can remember having a large population of woodies in the area during teal season.

As for decoys, a dozen hen mallards and a hen Mojo will do wonders. Make sure not to "flock shoot" or you'll never hit a thing. Make sure you're picking specific birds out... easier said than done with the excitement.

Have fun. Eat em. They're amazing.

One of my best college memories is getting a 6 man limit in under 15 minutes and still being able to make it to our 8:30 AM class... of course we didn't go to class... but we could have made it is the point ha.

In Louisiana we use dove mojo a lot. The faster the wing spin seems to be better. Plus they are cheaper and put more out. Learn to call them. Haydel Game calls make an exellent blue wing teal call. Although teal are one of the slowest of the duck species, they quickly accelerate in and out of spread. Don't wait for them to decoy, shoot when they are in range. A lot of times they buzz the mojo shoot straight up and gone the next pass. Not sure where you are at but here we have a lot pressure. I would use hen mallards if I didn't have teal decoys. Wouldn't buy them specially for this. Spend the money on spinners .

Take lots of ammo. They are fun little buggers to shoot. Early season they usually decoy in very well. I've had them come in so fast before that they landed in my decoys before I could even get my shotgun up.

This is true, get in early, set up and wait. Its amazing to watch them land in your spread right before legal light.

As my grandpa always used to say, " If you miss, reload and be ready, cause if the world is round they'll be right back"

They are fast little buggers!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back