Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

SD first timers

CdnHunter

Only a couple of weeks until my first South Dakota pheasant hunt. My labrador is in her prime. Can't wait. Anybody else heading there for the first time? If you are a regular, what is your #1 tip for SD public land?

Last edited:
Be prepared to walk where others wont.

Dont discount ditches near corn and cattle, sloughs can be good too if they are accessible, thick brush is always a winner. Solo with a dog, you should be able to find a limit quite easily if you put in the miles just in ditches alone. Last, hunting in weather is better cause they bunch up.

Havent read this years pheasant report but all that assumes the winter didnt wipe them out. If that happens, good luck, can take years to become good again. I dont hunt much public, its a lot harder haha. We see a lot of birds on public before shooting time for pheasants while duck hunting though. Good luck!

IMG_2903.jpegIMG_2912.png

Solo with a dog, you should be able to find a limit quite easily if you put in the miles just in ditches alone.
I was surpised to learn to that it is perfectly acceptable in SD to hunt the right of way along the roads. That would be a new experience for me.

Go pick a lonely backroad where theres corn nearby and the ditch is not mowed. We always picked up birds road hunting back to the hotel from private land spots. If you seriously walked ditches all day you would be fine. Just remember you cannot cross onto private with a gun to retrieve a downed bird. Leave the gun behind, and hope your dog does the work anyway.

Nice. Combo hunts are great. Do you hunt ducks morning/evening and pheasants midday?

They are great, but there is no downtime thats for sure. Duck hunt in the morning, then scout for ducks/pheasants mid day and pheasant hunt the last 2 hours of the day typically.

Trip report: Had a great time!

We loved exploring South Dakota for the first time. The great Plains are impressive. We really enjoyed the state Game Production Areas, Wildlife Production areas and Waterfowl Production areas. It is outstanding how many acres have been set aside for wildlife habitat. Road hunting works fine, but the conservation areas are more interesting.

It took a us a couple of days to figure out how to find pheasants, but then things really came together and we started dropping birds. My biggest lesson learned is to hunt long grass near cut crops for maximum flushes. (Next time I will go a week or two after the opener so that more corn will be down.)

Attachments

• gpa.jpg
    gpa.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Congrats on successfully hunting public land SD birds! Not always easy. Hunting by cut corn is productive so long as it was cut recently. Waiting by the end of the last row in the field as the combine comes by is even more productive hahaha.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back