Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Teacher Concealed Carry Law in Idaho

I absolutely want to be able to defend my students should there ever be an active shooter event in my school, but I can imagine what the effects on the learning environment in my classroom would be if students knew I had a firearm, and I’m fairly certain it wouldn’t be good. Beyond that, it seems incredibly foolhardy to not require extensive training for any teacher who elects to carry at school in how to react and conduct themselves in an active shooter situation. I’m talking hands-on, real-case-scenario training.
Hypothetically if this was available to you, what would you do?

What empirical evidence can you, or anyone else, provide of that? Asking because i have a mind thats open to be changed - with evidence.

A mass shooter and a failed response that made things worse is a news story ive never seen.
I’m sorry, but didn’t the school officer in the big Florida shooting basically run and hide? Pretty sure he might have even been charged with something for that response.

I’m sorry, but didn’t the school officer in the big Florida shooting basically run and hide? Pretty sure he might have even been charged with something for that response.
Sure did. A coward and a derelection of duty.

What does a teacher having more choices have to do with that?

You literally wrote “A mass shooter and a failed response that made things worse is a news story ive never seen”
Right.

I wasnt referring to law enforcement. Even if i was - a non response isnt a failed response. Or the "wild west gunfight" that keeps coming up.

How many never happened because it wasn't completely full of soft targets. I think this is totally a mental health problem and needs to be treated as such but as @Desk Pop stated sometimes the schools hands are tied. I don't see the mental health problem being solved fast even if we approved funding tomorrow, and I wish it would. So in the meantime I don't see why you can't attack a problem from more than one angle. Crimes in low income neighborhoods are a cultural problem as well but I think it would be foolish to say those people can't protect themselves or loved ones because they might have an accident.

Red state will likely move towards these laws, blue states won't, I don't think any differences in shooting occurrence or number of victims will be observed. Honestly, I just don't think even if you pass it many people will carry, those that do will ever have an incident in their schools, and that in schools with an armed teacher that teacher will make a difference. Just an opinion. I mean look at Gerald's comment, about what folks with knowledge of school shootings think is necessary, is that actually practical for 115,000 schools nation wide. Given all the struggles in our schools are you really going to make that happen?

But if it makes people feel better go for it. I have a cc permit, I'm not anti carrying I just thinking people are way estimating their/it's effectiveness on this issue.

My point is we need to move on to real solutions, mental health, poverty, etc.

What happens when a mentally unsound teacher has a gun. Out of thousands of teachers there is bound to be a nut job in there
What’s stopping the same teacher from obtaining a gun and bringing it to school or carrying it in public? The same forces are allowing/preventing that from happening.

The demographic for school shooters seems to currently be young adults that are current or former students.

Or the "wild west gunfight" that keeps coming up.

Dude, if you shrug off an incident were someone takes a shot at a cop and hits two students I'm not sure anything is going to qualify.

What’s stopping the same teacher from obtaining a gun and bringing it to school or carrying it in public? The same forces are allowing/preventing that from happening.

The demographic for school shooters seems to currently be young adults that are current or former students.
Nothing just assuming it makes it much easier. It only takes one

Dude, if you shrug off an incident were someone takes a shot at a cop and hits two students I'm not sure anything is going to qualify.
Objectively - were more lives lost because that teacher was armed?

When im referencing this - i am talking about an armed citizen responding and making the situation worse.

Clearly - thats not your example.

My BIL is a gun fanatic. He spent four yeas in the Marines, two tours in Viet Nam. Then twenty some years in the national guard then contracted with the army as a special weapons instructor. He is also a retired middle school math teacher in California. Having him armed in school would be a great idea and knowing him he probably was.

I once talked about this subject with a co-worker's wife who was a high school English teacher. She is five foot nothing and maybe 110 lbs. She said if she was armed and attacked by a student there would be no way she could or should shoot him. But he could easily take her gun from her and shoot her and half the class. So, it would be a very bad idea for her to have a gun in class.

So, there would have to be some very strict system in place to determine which teachers should or should not be allowed to have a gun. And then there is the question, who knows when a teacher might snap and shoot up his class? Especially in middle school.

If the net result of allowing teachers to carry is fewer incidents, does it matter if one of those incidents is perpetrated by a teacher?
It does matter if it's a teacher. And most here have valid points I'm just not sold on the idea at all. Maybe let southern Idaho try it out first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back