Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Taxdermy question

mtmiller

Fellas, I have a few heads and rugs done and have always paid for them when I pick them up. Yesterday my taxidermist called me to let me know my goat hide was back from the tanner and he wanted to know what form I wanted to go with. At the end of the conversation, he asked that I send him a deposit of about 50% of the total. He then said if I could pay for it all this week that would be even better. I laughed and said "I am sure it would be".:rolleyes:

I have never heard of this "down payment" before on any of my critters. Is this standard? I almost feel like I will just pay him the money for the tanning and take my goat and business elsewhere.

What say you guys?

I've almost always paid 50% down. I won't pay the rest until I get a product I'm happy with. I've had friends do a lot of work for me, so they don't always get down payment immediately, but I don't expect them to do any work until I give them something.

Remember, they have to pay for the tanning, form, eyes, etc. before they can even start. I think it's fair for them to expect something up front.

I've got 5 mounts at the shop right now. I'm about to have a big bill come due. :D

mtmiller.. Depends on the taxidermist. I have had it both ways. 50% on drop off and 50% on pickup. Other times just paid on pickup. Guess it depends on the guys cash flow at the moment. With costs of everything going up these days the guy might need the cash up front for molds etc. I know that was the case with my elk mount awhile back. He told me because of the cost of fuel going up his shipping costs from his suppliers were going through the roof.

I'm with you Miller. Too many times I have heard this story about taxidermists, only to find out that your money just helped pay off bill he had at Van Dyken's supply that was six months past due. This snowball continues until such time as he goes tits up and you are left without any finished product to show for your "deposit" since he has taken all the money for his divorce, drinking, drugging, gambling, or whatever event created his financial calamity.

Even worse is when the guy sells some of the heads/racks and next time you call, you find out he "flew the coop."

Maybe the dude is on the straight up and has implemented a new payment policy, but something smells horse shit here. The fact that he wants it by the end of the week is even more suspicious.

You probably have that same gut feeling, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. I have never had to pay in advance. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Like Oak, I got a big bill coming up pretty soon, but fortunately, he is always slow, so I will be keeping those dollars in my account for a while. I hope after this fall, my taxidermist asks for a lein against my house. That will mean I had a good season.

I would be taking my goat elsewhere. ;)

I've only had/am having two critters done in my life time.

1- bighorn sheep. killed the thing 2 years ago. hope to have it back next month. He requested $100 downpayment.
2- mtn goat killed 9 months ago. will have it back this month. 50% down.

Good luck with yours.

50% down is not uncommon around here in WA. I have always had to pay some sort of down payment. Depended on the Taxidermist. Anything from $100 down to 50%. But can also gaurentee something.

For a lifesize Goat.....I would definitely expect to pay something.

I will not be going life-sized, most likely shoulder only based on room and number of goats I hope to have in the near future.

This same taxidermist has done 4 deer and 2 bears for me in the last few years and has never requested a deposit.

I find this strange and to tell you the truth I feel a little insulted after the business I have already given him.

My father always got 20% down and so did I when i was doing the Fish Taxidermy. reason for this is because there are more guys than you care to imagine that cannot or will not pick up the mount when done. Keep in mind not every mount is of a huge trophy and some guys may lose interest in it after a few months. My dad was stuck with more than his share of dinker bucks and the 20% covered some supply costs. Then legally he had to run a public ad before he could sell them to pay for the loss after a guy decides he will not pick up his bear after his divorce (true situation)
These guys are just sticking to a policy that usually was made for guys unlike you who kills respectable critters and still thinks they are big after a year.
Miller keep in mind the supply and tanning cost of a goat are probably well over the $100 mark depending on who did the tanning.
That said, i still think 50% is a lot, and 100% is way out of line.

It may be that you are just receiving the result of his suppliers asking him for more money upfront or his cost rising. He may be covering his ass until he can impliment a cost increase to cover those costs. I would'nt take anything personal about it, it is what it is, Business. John

Tanning costs were $286. Guess I can give him that cash when I pick it up and take it elsewhere. I would guess with a prime, full bodied goat hide he would be hoping I default.

Take the hide to Jerry Andres in Bozeman. He's a good taxidermist, reasonable prices. Like almost all of them.. you have to badger him to get on it though. He's not short on putting in his hours though. He does all my stuff.

We usually put something down here. I would never pay it all ahead of time. Its hard enough to get them to mount something, but if they don't get any more money when its done, how would it get any priority with a busy taxidermist? You already decided to go somewhere else. I wouldn't expect to put money out for me, so I'd pay those costs for sure, like the tanning. They always have just got the forms whether I gave them enough down or not, but I get the mount to pay them shortly after that cost they have it seems.

50% is common. I never pay that though. But I always pay my bills and guys know that around here ;)

If you like the guys work and have good success, give him the deposit. In almost every case, there is a deposit required and 50% is common. Even if you go to a new guy, you may very well have to pay another deposit.

If you like work and he is established give him the 50% down and be done with it. It's business, you should have asked him when he mentioned it and asked if this was something new but most all taxidermists I have dealt with want 50% down. I have a friend that does all my stuff mostly European mounts and he always says forget the deposit , but I give him one any way. You could go to somebody else and it be a nightmare, gas and time to drive to another town, or pay shipping costs. You can't blame these guys for getting a deposit because many have gotten stuck with some mounts. My 2 cents for the day JerryM

Last elk I had done was nothing down -Jakes, a great taxidermist in Swan Valley Idaho. But brought back some pheasants from South Dakota a couple years ago and the guy I used in Driggs needed 50% to start. I can understand that from a business stand point. I bet these guys get stiffed fairly often. And unless its a big time trophy, who wants to buy someone elses mounts? Probably hard to recoup when someone doesn't come pick it up and pay. I wonder how many wives say, "Your not hanging that in my house" or "you are going to pay HOW MUCH, to have that thing stuffed?" Luckily, not mine....but I bet it is fairly common

Back