Tatonka!

Fin,

Man I can’t wait to see this episode. I have been reading "American Buffalo" by Steven Rinella and I must say that I have always thought of the buffalo as an iconic symbol of the American west but his book has put it into a new perspective and I can’t wait to see how your hunt turns out.

I have an old book by Francis Haines "The Buffalo" that describes the buffalo hunting Indians that Coronado encountered in 1541 (before the Indians had horses). Read especially the second page.

003-1.png

What you saw BigFin, you up for making a protein filled camel back from the LI? :eek: :D

Shows how rough the Indians had it before horses.

Man, I wish I lived closer to West Yellowstone. Get back to me when you come to MN and I will help you field dress and pull out that big bull grouse.....

Wishing you SO much luck Randy!

Why wouldn't we want to reestablish the largest big game animal in MT? Those "buffalo-worshippers" and sensible hunters may not have that different of agendas. It would be nice to be able to experience this hunt 30 miles back in the Bob.

I loved reading American Bison and wish all of the naysayers would pick it up.

I seriously doubt that the efforts to find new places for bison is going away anytime soon. I would rather that hunters be leaders in finding ways to work with ag producers, than have the Birkenstock crowd control the debate. If they are not solutions that locals can live with, then they are not good solutions.

Fin, I totally agree with your analysis. Resident hunters can take the lead if they choose. They have the best voice of reason of any of the stakeholer groups in my opinion. Bison are not going away.

Good luck on Horse Butte. I wish I could join you. Shoot to kill.

Feel as ready as I can be, short of having one patterned and bedded. Final tune to the bow has been completed.

Last long distance group in these warming winter temps was better than any 50 yard group I shot all summer. Hell, best group I have shot in about three years. Not that I plan to shoot much over 20 yards, but after the last few days of expert help with tuning and final arrow set up, I feel comfortable that if I can get close enough, a heart shot can be had.

IMG_20130120_161341_346.jpg

If we spot some tomorrow, we will take pics and post them here. Hope the small band that has migrated, stays in the same general area. Since we are crammed for time in the production schedule, don't expect me to hold out for Big Hank. If he is in a good place, presents a good shot, he is going to get quilled, no matter how big he is.

Got Lawnboy and Crittergetter helping with the scouting tomorrow. If we all spit up in separate directions tomorrow and no bison are found, I will resolve they have left the building. Hoping that is not the case.

With a group like that there should have been a robin hood in the mix.

Where is the snow?

Now that duck season is closed, we have been paying the weather man to send fair skies our way. We are in the bananer belt down here. Was in the 40's today. Ground on the south side of my shop is going to start sprouting asparagus if things don't cool off.

I suspect that in the West Yellowstone area, snow will abound.

Just finishing packing up the last of my gear, hoping to bring a little of my seasons luck your way on this, would love to see you tank one of these suckers! See you guys in the morning.....

January, 2008. West Yellowstone cow bison hunt with my buddy Ron as the shooter. Was a really fun day and a lot of work.

Hoping this hunt turns out the same, with a shaggy old bull being the center of the photo, rather than a fat plump cow.

IMG_2151.JPG

Best of luck tomorrow Randy! Though not near as polarizing as the wolf hunt, there's some rich history and strong feelings behind these hunts as well. Would be great to see a successful hunt on a quality production such as yours.

Wish I was sharing this hunt in a supporting role... Guess I'll just go to work like usual and be along in spirit. Good luck! I hope you can find one of those lone old dugga boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back