Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tape at the end of barrel?

Always tape my rifles after cleaning and while stored - keeps dusts out.

Always taped while hunting.

Always tape it when warm and dry. Don't want rust.

Another option. I cut off the fingers of black rubber (nitrile) gloves and use them to cover the muzzle, wrapping a piece of electrical tape around the base to adhere to the barrel. Hunting blacktails here on the Oregon coast, I'm often hunting in the rain and/or climbing steep (sometimes muddy) slopes and I find this method works best for me for keeping water and debris out. Get 5 uses out of one glove.

I was taught to always use tape on my muzzleloader barrel. I’ve seen muzzleloaders foul and not shoot due to hiking in heavy rain. We saw a bear and my gun fired, his did not.
I’ve not done this with any of my rifles
Not a bad idea for a rainy, snowy, muddy day. Cheap insurance

+1 for finger cots...my little rifle condoms. $2.99 for a billion of them on Amazon prime, no tape residue left on the barrel.

717TH6GKjyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
What size fits best for standard rilfe barrels? Same question for muzzleloaders.

Having watched all of the Fresh Tracks episodes, I have noticed in the first seasons the ends of the rifle barrels were black. I always thought maybe it was just a custom black end. In season 7 ep 3 it looked like the ends of the rifles had electrical tape on them. > If it is I'm assuming its to keep rain/snow out of your barrel??? > If it is do you take the tape off before you shoot or leave it on? >If its not tape what is it?
It just keeps debris out of barrel

Having watched all of the Fresh Tracks episodes, I have noticed in the first seasons the ends of the rifle barrels were black. I always thought maybe it was just a custom black end. In season 7 ep 3 it looked like the ends of the rifles had electrical tape on them. > If it is I'm assuming its to keep rain/snow out of your barrel??? > If it is do you take the tape off before you shoot or leave it on? >If its not tape what is it?
Funny that I just witnessed my buddy doing this on a recent elk hunt in CO. Never done it myself but it makes all the sense in the world.

I shot my muzzleloader again to check before the Sat opener and got results I could live with so I gave it a thorough cleaning, popped a couple 209's to make sure the plug was clear, loaded it, and taped the barrel before I put it in the soft case. Doesn't look like rain will find us the first few days, but I prefer to have it taped just in case.

My granddad used condoms on his 30-30 back in the 80’s! I was about 10 or 11 when I asked what they were for…he said killing deer and little babies! I thought he meant deer babies!😂 He’d shoot anything! He didn’t give a f***!
My Dad later said it was to keep water and rust out of his barrel. I use electrical tape!

i learned this trick from a guide when i was sheep hunting a few years ago and now everytime i go out i have a small piece of electrical tape covering my barrel, seems to work great

I have an older pack, and have tried several different types of attachments to it. Even designed my own. I have finally come to realize I cannot make my set up comfortable. Just hate to spend $$$ on a backpack when mine still functions. What good is comfort right. Lol

Another scenario for you guys... Back country black power, do you tape the end of your barrel? or leave it open due to moisture in the air? I was thinking taping your barrel would keep the moisture in and then if you stay in the back country overnight your temp swing would cause condensation on the inside of your barrel? Which is a no no... So whats your guys take on that?
I always tape everything, even muzzleloaders.

Been taping my rifle barrels for years. Learned to do it in the service. It is a particularly necessary trick when using a scabbard on horseback as all kinds of nasty gets in the bottom of scabbard for riding "off piste"!

Fun fact: On D-Day all the U.S. soldiers got just regular condoms to put over their barrels when they stormed Normandy. (This is from Stephen Ambrose's book about it). So this isn't a new concept.

I always carry electrical tape in my pack for tagging animals, and if the weather gets bad enough, I tape it. But I've always had plenty of time to remove the tape (and put one in the chamber) before I shoot. Usually I just fold one end so it is easy to remove. It's not that I'm worried about accuracy, I understand that the gasses will blow the tape off. But I am not interested in littering.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back