Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Tape at the end of barrel?

A few years ago while watching a large area in front of me a nice 3x3 came running down the hill behind me. I got in a hurry to turn and tripped and fell. I planted the end of the barrel in some soft dirt. By the time I cleared the barrel the buck was long gone. I used to just apply tape in bad weather, I now always tape the end. Not having tape on the end probably cost me a decent buck. You never know what might happen and tape is cheap.

After this incident I also started carrying a 6' piece of 80 pound mono in a coil. Getting a boot string to go down a dirty barrel was not easy. I have been successful with getting the stiff mono to go down the barrel much easier than a string. Straight sticks don't grow on every tree.

Last edited:
I took a header on Sunday and stuck my .264 barrel 6 inches into the dirt. Because I had taped my muzzle all I had to do was wipe it off. North Idaho is rainy country. I have been taping my muzzle for decades. You will extend the life of a Chrome-Moly barrel for a looong time if you apply the tape because it keeps the moisture out. Rain water going down your bore will bond with any carbon powder residue in your barrel and cause pitting. That is reason enough for me.

It wasn't Randy that introduced me to tape, it was a guy off this forum back in 2012 on my first trip to Montana.
When I hunt in the UK, I carry my rifle barrel down, so it can on occasion make contact with the ground, but I am safe in the knowledge that with my barrel taped it won't cause an issue, but I still check it after it makes contact, you just never know:)
Cheers
Richard

The tape blows off before the bullet ever gets there. The air in the barrel, pushed by the bullet is what removes it.

Or by what I once saw referred to as "young" gases which would be the gas that escapes before the bullet enters the barrel and seals it.

Trojan makes a great line of pre lubricated muzzle covers that will even fit over a muzzle break. They even make a magnum model for elk hunters that prefer to use the ultra mags and similar and "the creed" for those that like the smaller stuff. Not sure about the why or what of the lubricant, must be some kind of CLP or lithium grease.

We’ve taped muzzles for many years. We (wife and I) keep a roll of electrical tape in our day packs. The muzzle can be re-wrapped after a shot is taken. Plus....the electrical tape can be used for a multitude of uses, from first aid to rifle repair. If you have a need and an imagination .....the uses are almost endless! memtb

How does the tape work if you have a muzzle brake?

I usually just tape, but when it is super cold or with a muzzlbrake I carry an extra pair of surgical gloves. I cut the fingers off a glove and slide the finger over the barrel.
I need to pick up a box of gloves for my wife- smaller size I don’t think I would add a ring of tape.

Has anyone tried electrical tape on the end of a suppressor? Does it have any adverse effects or same as a regular barrel?

I use electrical tape as well for the same reasons as mentioned.

Place one piece from one side of the barrel over the end and back down the other side. 2-3" or so.
Then, wrap around the barrel to cover the original piece up to the edge.
I've used the second wrapped piece on multiple occasions to keep my tag secured to the animal.

It's a win, win...

+1 for finger cots...my little rifle condoms. $2.99 for a billion of them on Amazon prime, no tape residue left on the barrel.

717TH6GKjyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

About to buy a muzzleloader, any issue with taping muzzleloader barrels?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back