Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Talkin' bout socks

smalls

For a 5 day backpacking trip, how many pairs of socks would you pack?

What's your favorite hiking/hunting sock? (if you say "smartwool", please specify model because they have 1,001 styles)

Lastly, how many times can I repack my gear before my wife stabs me with a fork in the scapula?

I would probably wear one pair and bring two extras for 5 days.

My favorites are the Smartwool mid-weight over-the-calf hunting socks. I haven't found them anywhere recently. I can only find the heavyweight version. Maybe they quit making the mid-weight. I need an over-the-calf model because of my powerfully giant calves. ;)

http://www.sockcompany.com/ is a good place to look for socks.

I just bought a couple pairs of the midweight hunting series over the calf smartwools at cabelas.
Also really like the Merino socks that danner makes.

I hide the knives and forks during hunting season.

...and gear buying season...ok, year round.

I would go with Oaks advice. Wear one pair and bring 2 extra along. If you anticipate lots of wet feet and no drying you might need more. I've worn Lorpin and Smartwools. So far the mid weight hiker by Smartwool is my favorite. I do have some boots though that need more sock and with those I use a heavyweight sock. The other thing I found invaluable on my recent sheep hunt was one of those longsleeve "underarmour type" shirts. I had always heard how they wick away sweat and dry quicky. I am a total believer now. The shirt I bought wasn't under armour brand but similiar material. It is awesome to be able to have it dry out so fast and allow the wind to cool you on those long hauls with the pack. Sorry I went off topic just thought I'd throw that in.

I've got a decent selection of Smartwool, but have recently been switching over to Icebreaker, mostly light or midweight hikers. To me, they seem to resist "packing out" much better, and they seem to keep my feet more consistently toasty, compared to Smartwool.

I'd go with 4 pair. Smartwool, over the calf. Mine are the midweight as well. I don't recall the specific name or model number.

I'm a big fan of "Thorlo" brand socks. Pick the style that fits your hike.
Coolmax med Wt hiking for warm weather. Heavy merino wool hiking for cold.
If you will have a chance to wash, then two or three pair will do. If you will not have a chance to wash them, bring a pair for each day.

Kenetrek recently came out with their own line of socks. I swear I've worn every high quality performance sock out there, and Kenetrek's are easily the best. They have a blend of Wool, synthetics, and lycra spandex as do most others but it seems they have more lycra, because the fit is so much better and more comfortable than any other I've tried. Once again the guys at Kenetrek put out the best.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back