Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Taking a back up rifle?

Rhcuam

Any of you take a back up rifle when you’re heading out of solo out of state hunt? Never had any problems with the primary rifle but I wonder if it’s a matter of time before Murphy decides to strike.

I didn’t used to, but started a couple of years ago. My buddy ended up using mine last year because of issues with his .280AI

I try to have two rifles with me that use even the same ammo and the controls are as similar as they can be.

I try to have at least a backup along if I’m ever more than an hour from home. Just seems like an easier solution to running home and wasting time.

No....Worst case scenario something happens to the scope, take a day to get new one and sighted in. Something happens to break the stock there is a broken bone on me as well.
your weapon system should be failproof and if you bring a spare you don't have enough faith in it, or it isn't built to be sturdy enough for the field. Sometimes you have to make your plan B a lot less desirable so you don't give up on your plan A.....

The farther from home, and the harder to draw the tag is: the more likely I am to bring a backup rifle.
OIL moose tag a few hours from home? You better believe I have a backup.
Doe deer 1 hr from home? I’ll be fine without a backup.

I do when I can. I feel it's the smart thing to do, for me. You never know what'll happen and going and buying a new rifle is never an option.
I will be bringing a spare this year.

I didn’t use to but had to over a half day hunting last year when my hunting partner had scope issues. I’ll be bringing an extra from then on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back