Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Taking a back up rifle?

I always bring one when a long way from home. Especially during these times. Could burn up a couple days of the hunt trying to get a repair or replacement.

Any of you take a back up rifle when you’re heading out of solo out of state hunt? Never had any problems with the primary rifle but I wonder if it’s a matter of time before Murphy decides to strike.
Always. Never had to use it, but it’s nice to know that it’s there in case something happens to the primary rifle.
The backup rifle is like an insurance policy for the hunt, just like the 2 spare tires that I lug along on out of state hunts.

I've always taken a back-up rifle but in almost 50 years it has never been needed. The rifle is an identical Rem 700 in .270 and the rifle I always use is in 7mm Mag.

I do for sure if out of state... The harder/farther the tag the more concerned about missing hunt time as I need all the time/help I can get...

I always bring a backup and I like consistency. Both rifles are Remington 700 7 mm with same stock, same scope, and both shoot the same ammo equally well.

I usually only have several days a year to hunt big game so I can’t afford to have any down time messing with a rifle that is not working right for whatever reason.

I usually use a 300 WSM with a backup rifle in 30-06. The only time I used the 06 was in upstate NY because I left home with no ammo. You can guess what was available in the small local shops. Not 300 WSM

I used to but I have unreasonable paranoia about someone breaking into the truck. Maybe I’m not creative enough on hiding it, idk.

I always do. Just make sure you keep extra rounds for both rifles where you will always have them with you. Left camp and grabbed the wrong gun case...no big deal it was my spare rifle. Had spare ammo but for the primary rifle. Drive back 30 minutes to camp to retrieve the correct gun and ammo. Won't make that mistake again!

I hunt with a scoped 30-06 Sako and my backup is a 30-06 Remington 760 with a green glow on either side the peep and a red glow dot on the front, also for use in a snowstorm, my favorite time to kill big bulls.

Last edited:
I always have family or friends at hand who can loan me a rifle if i need it (and I have needed it when hunting in both Montana and Africa). I do take an extra shotgun with me to Montana. For wingshooting uplands it's crucial to have a shotgun that fits perfectly. Both guns are older Browning A5. One is 12 gauge magnum and the other is Light Twelve 2.75". I usually shoot the magnum but if I have to switch to the Light Twelve, I move the magnum's plastic over to it. The drop on Light Twelve walnut is goofy and produces a high pattern. I shoot the magnum at trap, skeet, and clays three days per week during spring and summer. My skeet average with that gun is solid 22.5 and trap is only slightly less. That big gun really works for me. Light Twelve has fixed modified which is too tight for refuge where steel shot is required. There I stay with magnum and screw in skeet. It weighs about ten pounds loaded but I'm a big boy. Well, not real big but big enough.

My biggest concern is damaging it in a fall or having a horse train wreck when it's in the scabbard on the ride up or down. I have a good scabbard ........ but!
Elk hunting Colorado, we had an older horse that decided she just wasn't going to be ridden anymore. Dropped to her knees and rolled on her side, snapping the buttstock on my buddies beloved .270 Weatherby mag.

Elk hunting Colorado, we had an older horse that decided she just wasn't going to be ridden anymore. Dropped to her knees and rolled on her side, snapping the buttstock on my buddies beloved .270 Weatherby mag.
Wow that horse made a lot of decisions for your camp that day!

Yep we always take a backup. In nearly 30 years of out of state hunting we never used the backup. Then back to back years we had to pull it out. Better to have one in my simple mind.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back