Tactical - Assualt Rifles

buckykm1

Seeing that we have a wealth of knowledge on this site, I figure this is a good place to ask for suggestions.

This Spring - summer I want to add a tactical - assault type rifle to my collection.
My knowledge is limited, but I know a couple of things that I want.
1- I want it to be a 5.56, so I can shoot 223 ammo too.
2- I want to put some type of scope on it, and still be able to use the iron sights. I have old eyes.
3- mid price range. say $600.00 - $1000.00.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Kevin

I knew that someone would ask that..
I don't want it for hunting. I am a firm believer that someday the shit is going to hit the fan, I just want to be prepared.

Kevin

Seeing that we have a wealth of knowledge on this site, I figure this is a good place to ask for suggestions.

This Spring - summer I want to add a tactical - assault type rifle to my collection.
My knowledge is limited, but I know a couple of things that I want.
1- I want it to be a 5.56, so I can shoot 223 ammo too.
2- I want to put some type of scope on it, and still be able to use the iron sights. I have old eyes.
3- mid price range. say $600.00 - $1000.00.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Kevin

Do you want rifle, carbine or mid-length? Do you want to build yourself or buy a complete rifle?

If you want to co-witness with iron sites look at aimpoint or eotech sites. There are decent knock-offs out there as well if all you plan to do is plink.

If you want to build yourself then check this site out on a regular basis as their stock comes and goes but their prices are real good. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

You can spend more than what you pay on the rifle for optics. The aimpoint version of this clone could run $600 or more dollars. I've read good reviews on this unit. I'm not saying it will hold up in battle or even a hard use multi thousand round training course but it will work on the range and you can co-witness https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-AA-Battery-Red-Dot-GEN-3-p/pa-aasdg3.htm

If you want to buy a complete rifle you can look for the bottom tier Colt at Walmart that will run the high end of your price range or you can look for a S&W M&P15, Stag Arms or Bushmaster tier weapon that will run from $750 and up.

And in before you get assaulted for calling it an assault rifle :D

Here are a few I've built:

Dang it WV, now you really made me want to build another AR.

Bucky: The AR platform is what you're after. They're like legos - you can add or subtract just about any feature you want. You can get them fairly inexpensively in the basic format or you can spend thousands to create a tacti-cool weapon. EBR's aren't really my thing but they're fun at the range and it's a little bit of solace knowing when the zombie apocalypse comes, you're locked & loaded.

The Palmetto State Armory models can be purchased as kits that you can assemble, or as completed semi-auto rifles with various barrel options and accessories depending on the price you're willing to pay. BTW, those rifles are DPMS kits that Palmetto assembles at their main facility in Columbia, SC. They actually sell them cheaper at that physical location than at any of their other stores, or what would be paid if you order one from them or buy one from another dealer(of course there will be a markup in that case). My brother purchased his from the store in Columbia, last year during the height of the price gouging that was going on, and got the the completely maxed out model for $795,00.

Bucky

Here are my thoughts, based off of carrying and fighting with an M4 carbine for the last 14 years:

1. 16 or 18 inch barrel, and a flattop reciever.
2. Any of the reputable manufacturers
3. Eotech is probably the option for a red dot, and go with the AA battery option. I like the EOTech because the 65 MOA ring around the dot makes finding the dot easier when shooting in ackward positions, plus the dot in the middle is 1 MOA making longer engagements more precise. An aimpoint is a 4 MOA dot so at 200yds it covers 8 inches.
4. If you intend to use it for home defense put a light on it. As bad as one might want to, no one wants to plug the daughter's boyfriend when he is sneaking in/out. Stay away from rifle lights too, they good for fighting under night vision, but are pointless for your use. Buy a good pistol light and you will be good.
5. If you buy a collapsable stock get one with a rubber butt pad. Magpul makes a really good one, that is very inexpensive.
6. Add accessories slowly, only add what you need. No point in making a nice light rifle into a boat anchor. Most pros don't have all of that junk they sell on their rifles, they have a few key pieces and thats it. If I was you, I would start with the rifle and optic and go from there.

Here are a couple of my ARs, some pics aren't the best sorry.

My Duty rifle. I was providing some instruction to an elected official.
DSC_0417 - Edit.jpg

My personal M4
DSC_0769 (upload).jpg

My Special Purpose Rifle. This rifle holds MOA out to 600m with 77grn heavy match.
SPR (upload).jpg

With my favorite lady shooting it. She doesn't shoot much, so I love this pic.
photo.JPG

What do people think about the Bushmaster carbon? I know the true AR lovers hate it due to being carbon and not "traditional", but is it worth the money for a plinking gun that wont have 1000's of rounds through it?

Another Rifle you may take a look at.

The Smith and Wesson M&P15 MOE. A bit nicer than standard Stock and Grip, Folding rear sight and a VFG. Might be just a smidge high of the $1000 mark, but shouldn't break $1050-$1150. A MOE was my first AR 4ish years ago. Liked everything about that rifle. Had it about a year before some horse trading allowed me to upgrade to an LWRC M6A1-S, which I actually liked a bit less than the MOE.

2nd & 3rd Picture

Do you want rifle, carbine or mid-length? Do you want to build yourself or buy a complete rifle?

If you want to co-witness with iron sites look at aimpoint or eotech sites. There are decent knock-offs out there as well if all you plan to do is plink.

If you want to build yourself then check this site out on a regular basis as their stock comes and goes but their prices are real good. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

You can spend more than what you pay on the rifle for optics. The aimpoint version of this clone could run $600 or more dollars. I've read good reviews on this unit. I'm not saying it will hold up in battle or even a hard use multi thousand round training course but it will work on the range and you can co-witness https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-AA-Battery-Red-Dot-GEN-3-p/pa-aasdg3.htm

If you want to buy a complete rifle you can look for the bottom tier Colt at Walmart that will run the high end of your price range or you can look for a S&W M&P15, Stag Arms or Bushmaster tier weapon that will run from $750 and up.

And in before you get assaulted for calling it an assault rifle :D

Here are a few I've built:

I really don't think that I want to build one. other than adding a sling and optics myself.
I am thinking something along the lines of your second or third picture. would be good.

Kevin

If you want to add optics, and still be able to use the irons, you would be better off getting something with a folding rear and an a2 front, or folding front and rear.

The second and third rifles, you would likely remove the rear sight to place an optic on. In that situation if your optic fails, you have to remove the optic, and replace the carry handle to restore your rear sight. If you go to folding sights... Flip your rear up (and front if needed) and co-wittness through the RDS.

If you want to add optics, and still be able to use the irons, you would be better off getting something with a folding rear and an a2 front, or folding front and rear.

The second and third rifles, you would likely remove the rear sight to place an optic on. In that situation if your optic fails, you have to remove the optic, and replace the carry handle to restore your rear sight. If you go to folding sights... Flip your rear up (and front if needed) and co-wittness through the RDS.

Yes, the second and third both have removable carry handles. They've since been replaced with an ARMS folding rear and an ACOG TA33R8 :D

One is a 16" carbine and the other a 20" rifle.

They truly are the tinker toy for guys.

Yes, the second and third both have removable carry handles. They've since been replaced with an ARMS folding rear and an ACOG TA33R8 :D

One is a 16" carbine and the other a 20" rifle.

They truly are the tinker toy for guys.

The ARMS rear is a good sight, I use the same one. A good set of backup irons is going to run $150-200. I have not seen good results with the plastic ones out there, they are ok in an emergency I guess, but I wouldn't rely on them. I am a huge fan of the H&K rail sights.

I haven't had any issues with any of the ACOGs and the A2 post. I primarily use the TA01NSN, but have used the compacts as well with no issue on a mil issue gun which all have the fixed front post.

Back