Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pretty classy lookin rifle

brockel

Wife’s grandpa who she was really close with passed away last fall. This spring her grandma gave my wife his old hunting rifle. A Winchester 270. It’s sat in the safe all summer but tonight I decided to take it out and get it sighted in so she could take it antelope hunting in two weeks. The old weaver 4x took a little bit to get dialed in but the old girl puts 3 old Winchester 130 grain power points right around 1” at 100 yards. If she decides she wants to continue hunting with it after this fall I’ll probably change out the scope as it’s starting to get foggy and start reloading for it. Maybe run some lightweight hammers in it next year.
770E2EB1-EC62-4668-B0D4-A1C481A0741D.jpegDA531383-2C55-4795-A2E9-E61729D69311.jpeg563C5C10-6139-4679-9BF5-5A3F2A8887DD.jpeg

Can that old Weaver be restored? I have one on the 760 Remington Mom's dad gave Dad a week after I was born in 1952.

Please tell me your wife isn't going to let you sell that thing...

On second thought dibs. In all seriousness beautiful rifle hope your wife enjoys it.
Nope no way would I sell it. Honestly didn’t even know if I wanted to shoot it. But I know he’d want to her to use it like he did. Has scabbard scuffs on it. I know he killed two mountain goats with it and this mule deer. Who knows what else
8225BE20-5FC2-456D-B126-191390B4FB44.jpeg

Nope no way would I sell it. Honestly didn’t even know if I wanted to shoot it. But I know he’d want to her to use it like he did. Has scabbard scuffs on it. I know he killed two mountain goats with it and this mule deer. Who knows what else
View attachment 241337
That's awesome I've got my uncles old remington 722's i need to take on a hunt especially that .222 beat up old gun is one of the most accurate guns I've ever shot with a fogged up 4x weaver. Gotta make a point to take it calling this winter.

Last edited:
I thought the Model 70 had three-position striker safety? That one appears to have two-position trigger block safety. Anyone shed some light?

Interesting scope base and rings. Offset? Wonder if grandma knows where the iron sights are hiding. It was tapped for rear peep and also a dovetail on the barrel for a rear leaf sight. The front sight ramp can take a hood.

Last edited:
Wife’s grandpa who she was really close with passed away last fall. This spring her grandma gave my wife his old hunting rifle. A Winchester 270. It’s sat in the safe all summer but tonight I decided to take it out and get it sighted in so she could take it antelope hunting in two weeks. The old weaver 4x took a little bit to get dialed in but the old girl puts 3 old Winchester 130 grain power points right around 1” at 100 yards. If she decides she wants to continue hunting with it after this fall I’ll probably change out the scope as it’s starting to get foggy and start reloading for it. Maybe run some lightweight hammers in it next year.
View attachment 241332View attachment 241333View attachment 241334
Nice looking rifle. I found an old ElPaso weaver and use it on a 22 mag. Seem's toi me those old Weaver's were prone to foggin now and them. You couldn't have mine for any price, they were a good old scope! Now I remember about that fogging. A gun writter mentioned it years ago and said it was because the air was just to clear in El Paso!

Last edited:
I thought the Model 70 had three-position striker safety? That one appears to have two-position trigger block safety. Anyone shed some light?

Interesting scope base and rings. Offset? Wonder if grandma knows where the iron sights are hiding. It was tapped for rear peep and also a dovetail on the barrel for a rear leaf sight. The front sight ramp can take a hood.
Now that you mention it...

It looks like it's got the mauser style bolt stop as well. And the bolt handle isn't swept back far enough also.

Looks like maybe a Husqvarna with a Winchester barrel.

Back