Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pretty classy lookin rifle

Interesting. It really doesn't look like doing it on the cheap was a priority when building this gun. Very fancy walnut. Perhaps the owner had a Model 70 that got damaged and he just wanted to save the barrel. I seem to recall the pre 64 Model 70 had a reputation for hit and miss re accuracy. I presume the issue was the barrels?
Winchester barrels were typically very good quality back in the post war thru late 50s period from what I gather. The hit or miss accuracy, From what I understand, was when the featherweights first appeared. They were alleged to be free floated from the factory but in reality some were not floated quite enough and hence even though the barrels were good, accuracy could be erratic unless you truly floated them and bedded the recievers. The standards on the other hand, had the forend screw that threaded into the bottom of the barrel. In alot of cases you could play with the forend screw to improve the rifles groups. I have a 1952 standard grade 270, but I haven't tried this yet. It seems to shoot pretty decent as is.

Wife’s grandpa who she was really close with passed away last fall. This spring her grandma gave my wife his old hunting rifle. A Winchester 270. It’s sat in the safe all summer but tonight I decided to take it out and get it sighted in so she could take it antelope hunting in two weeks. The old weaver 4x took a little bit to get dialed in but the old girl puts 3 old Winchester 130 grain power points right around 1” at 100 yards. If she decides she wants to continue hunting with it after this fall I’ll probably change out the scope as it’s starting to get foggy and start reloading for it. Maybe run some lightweight hammers in it next year.
View attachment 241332View attachment 241333View attachment 241334
Nice rifle. Looks like it has a set trigger on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back