First youth hunting rifle?

In regards to a full sized vs compact stock, I do believe that the stocks are interchangeable between some of the Ruger/Savage/Tikka price points. Consider getting the full sized rifle but know you could get a compact take-off stock from fleabay or even the manufacturer that’ll bolt right on if the gun doesn’t fit the kid. Save the full sized stock and switch it back out after eats his Wheaties for another year or two.

Then again, you could also size up the .22’s length of pull compared to whatever you were looking for if the .22 fits him well.

I think @SFC B works for one of the big retailers and could confirm if I’m correct about interchangeability?
the Savages have the AccuFit stocks to adjust LOP, the Tikka and Ruger actions can be changed between stock sizes.

I’m going against the grain and don’t recommend a 243. It’s an out grow caliber that is harder to sell than other caliber’s. I started my kids with that but quickly switched to a 7mm08. That can be a life long gun more so than a 243.

I also built a 223 on the exact same action so it was a seamless transition to bigger calibers.

To my surprise I had my 9 year old shoot the 7mm08 for velocity testing last Saturday and he didn’t want to stop. He shot 18 rounds that day with no qualms. Skip the 243 and do a 7mm08.

Forgot about a Creedmoor, that’s like telling somebody the STD they just got was a gift.

I’d get a slug gun for woods hunting,… shotgun let’s you also get a choke barrel as well for bird hunting or taking them and exposing them to skeet/trap/sporting clays.

I’d get a rifle for open ground.

Then I’d find something that’s easy for allowing him to grow up and get new stocks, change caliber etc.

If Varmint hunting might be a consideration as well, I’d say any of the 6 mm chamberings would be an option.

In all fairness, its with a brake......

What bore guide is that in the case?
Yes you are correct it does have a brake on it but when we are hunting it comes off after checking 0 without it. She killed 2 deer and never even noticed recoil.
Bore guide is either a Shooters Choice or a Tipton but can't remember which. It came with different chamber tips and action bushings. Only gun it is a pain in is my Kimbers. The tip gets caught in the bolt release mechanism and I have to unscrew the tip to remove it.

I would call and talk with our resident lever action guy first. He may have some insight on which one to get.

Paging @p_ham
Talked to dad, going to grab the kid a Marlin 30-30. He won’t grow out of that whereas buying him a youth rifle he will. Thanks again.

Basically stay away from the Remington Era rifles unless you look them over VERY well. (REM) proof mark. Crooked sights, bad timing, bad wood/ metal fit...not every one was garbage, but it's easy to find a lemon.. The later rifles were better.
Look for a "JM" stamped barrel, quality was generally better. They started putting safeties on them in '84.
If you're going to cut the stock down, get a replacement from Boyd's and cut that down. Save the factory wood for later. It's getting hard to find.

Basically stay away from the Remington Era rifles unless you look them over VERY well. (REM) proof mark. Crooked sights, bad timing, bad wood/ metal fit...not every one was garbage, but it's easy to find a lemon.. The later rifles were better.
Look for a "JM" stamped barrel, quality was generally better. They started putting safeties on them in '84.
If you're going to cut the stock down, get a replacement from Boyd's and cut that down. Save the factory wood for later. It's getting hard to find.
Welcome back

mossberg patriot predator in 308 or 6.5 creedmoor. threaded barrell put a brake or a can on it making recoil very low. affordable and you can find ammo.

I see the 308 mentioned a lot as a first gun for young people, hog wash! There are those that will not tell you it hurt just so they can fire t aagain then therre are those nthat can handle it. Truth is the 308 unless handloaded just so is simoly to much for any young person. Top ot the list I would say is the 243 or maybe a 250-3000, don't relly know about the 250-3000 as I've never hot one! The idea of a first gun is or shouldn't be to see how much the young kid can take without complaining but rather to get them shooting Cf cartridges well! I think the 260 might also be a good choice but again, never shot one. I love my 6.5x55 and recoil is no sweat but, that's just for some. Young guy here in town that had only shot his grandfather's 30-30 tried my 6.5x55 and loved it and still wouldn't complain about his grandfather's 30-30. Then I let hium try a 243 and that's all he want to shoot anymore. Ask him and the other two didn't bother him but he is always ready to shoot the 243. Wonder why?

I'm partial to the 7-08 but I took 3 youths out this year on their first big game hunts (2 deer and 1elk) and they all like shooting the 6.5 better.

If the shots are going to be close I'd throw in the 30-30, I've watch folks kill elk with them at 200ish yards. I'm not sure what the recoil is like but a 44 mag, 45 colt, or 357 in a lever gun would be a sweet set up for up to a 100ish yards.

6.8spc is a sweet little round too, they show up in bolt guns now and then. I had a few years back and had 2 or 3 first timers use it.

Something you can get ammo for is also a good choice.

Got hands on a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Am I an idiot for buying a rifle in chambered in a caliber that is only produced in limited runs by ammo manufacturers?

I have a few rounds for it along with some brass and dies. No more rounds available anywhere at the moment. Hunting season is another 10 months away, tho - plenty of time!

Got hands on a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Am I an idiot for buying a rifle in chambered in a caliber that is only produced in limited runs by ammo manufacturers?

I have a few rounds for it along with some brass and dies. No more rounds available anywhere at the moment. Hunting season is another 10 months away, tho - plenty of time!
.35 Rem can be hard to come by. If you reload, brass can be found. Marlins are easy to do caliber conversions on if you so choose.

.35 Rem can be hard to come by. If you reload, brass can be found. Marlins are easy to do caliber conversions on if you so choose.
That should read if it's a caliber you can get a Marlin barrel for.

Fitting a blank is a lot of work.

If it’s for your boy, YES! What’s the point of a first rifle he can never shoot. If it’s for you, good score and enjoy it.

Boys need to shoot a lot to learn, practice should be cheap and fun.

My nephew has (finally) decided he wants to deer hunt next season. He will be 13. My father, his grandfather, want to buy him a deer rifle for Christmas. Dad tasked me with buying it since he is out of state for work til spring. OK, dad, sure thing. It might not (probably wont) be here before Christmas at this point but thats OK.

Im thinking 6.5 Creedmore. Have no idea. I was just going to have him shoot my .270 carbine w/ iron sights. He shoots a .22 I have pretty regularly and is a good shot. I was going to start him shooting at the range in the spring with the .270.

I looked at rifles a little the past couple days. Not much has iron sights these days. Not much thats reasonably priced for a kids' first gun, anyway. The kid is going to be hunting whitetail at my place where a 50 yard shot would be a long one, most of the shooting lanes being 30 yards at most. I know I personally can acquire a target much quicker at these ranges with iron sights than I can with a scoop - am I wrong in wanting something that has iron sights and can be 'upgraded' with a scope later?

Ive looked around. See nothing online thats making me think 'thats the gun for this kid'. Anything is probably better than a shoulder buster like I started with, hence thing 6.5 Creedmore for the kid. Any recommendations?
I think the 243 is the best, but check out this really informative video that gives some options:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back