Caribou Gear

First youth hunting rifle?

I received my first gun in the kitchen of my parents' home a few moments after I blew out twelve candles on a cake. Dad and Mom's dad presented it to me. That was a magical moment I'll never forget. Shopping around would have had much less memorable impact.

The "proper fit" in a rifle is grossly overrated. I can make just about any gun work for me shooting at a still target, especially through a scope (one reason I'm advocating a 3x). But of course that requires some experience. Shooting at moving targets usually requires a more precise fit but I certainly don't think anyone new to the game should be shooting at animals on the run. I also think it makes more sense to find a gun he can grow into rather than one that needs to be modified or discarded in short order because it becomes too small. Shooting a gun that is too short or too light will have much more probability of negative impact (e.g. Weatherby eye) than one that's a little long and heavy. Buy him a grown up gun and be done with it. He is almost grown up anyway. Use the money you'd spend on two guns and buy him one real nice adult gun now that he'll keep shooting forever.

Shooting a gun that is too short or too light will have much more probability of negative impact (e.g. Weatherby eye) than one that's a little long and heavy.
I can much more easily shoot a gun that's too small for me than one that's too large. Especially wearing heavy winter clothes, I'd personally error smaller than bigger.

I can much more easily shoot a gun that's too small for me than one that's too large. Especially wearing heavy winter clothes, I'd personally error smaller than bigger.
Shoot a rifle that's too small and you may get a bloody eye (scope cut). Shoot a shotgun that's too short and you'll likely get a bloody nose (punched with your own thumb) or shoot "up the barrel" and send the pattern above the target. Any kid that gets beat up by his gun is liable to quit hunting. Bigger is better.

This boy is THIRTEEN, not nine or ten. I wasn't "man-size" by the time I was thirteen but I was getting there fast. I'm sorry, but I just don't see much point in buying a young man that age a little kid's gun. He might be too big for it by the time season opens next fall ... when he'll probably be fourteen.
You’re right. He should probably get a .338 win mag with a steel butt plate.

I guess I never grew up. I hate shooting my manly 300 wm. Not a huge fan of my 270, though I've shot it a lot.

I received my first gun in the kitchen of my parents' home a few moments after I blew out twelve candles on a cake. Dad and Mom's dad presented it to me. That was a magical moment I'll never forget. Shopping around would have had much less memorable impact.

The "proper fit" in a rifle is grossly overrated. I can make just about any gun work for me shooting at a still target, especially through a scope (one reason I'm advocating a 3x). But of course that requires some experience. Shooting at moving targets usually requires a more precise fit but I certainly don't think anyone new to the game should be shooting at animals on the run. I also think it makes more sense to find a gun he can grow into rather than one that needs to be modified or discarded in short order because it becomes too small. Shooting a gun that is too short or too light will have much more probability of negative impact (e.g. Weatherby eye) than one that's a little long and heavy. Buy him a grown up gun and be done with it. He is almost grown up anyway. Use the money you'd spend on two guns and buy him one real nice adult gun now that he'll keep shooting forever.
I always like about everything this guy has to say and most of this. But I think you can get a kid a gun to grow into without having it to much to handle now. A 308 the kid might grow into but still might be to much right now. Of course it seem's the problem of recoil can be over come these days with aftermarket products. I think it better to choose a cartridge the kid can use well NOW! I also thing fit is overplayed as Ontario Hunter said, I can accommodate most fit on rifles but the one thing I have trouble with is to short a length of pull. These days to long doesn't seem to exist, I can adjust. But I think of the 14yr old boy here in town that loves shooting. All he had to shoot was his grandfather'sa 30-30 bolt gun. I let him try my 6.5x55 mod 70 and noticed it was way to long for him but he simply didn't care. All he cared about was the shooting. Not one complaint about recoil from it or his grandpa,s 30-30. Well got him into one of my 243's and of course stock still to lond but recoli allowed hin to pull the trigger without getting blasted in the shoulder, BTW he not one time with any of them complained about recoil. I only think it got his because I could see how long it was when up to his shoulder. aanyway the 243 became his hands down new best buddy! He never colplained eeven one time about recoil with anything but once he shot that 243 the other's became history!

We can take a full size rifle with little recoil, ex the 243, have the stock cut down to fit him and make him a better shooter, Save that stock piece you cut off and down the road when he grows into it haave it put bak on. I think it's better to have a kid learn to shoot rather than you simply like pulling the trigger. Length of pull to me is very important.

Shoot a rifle that's too small and you may get a bloody eye (scope cut). Shoot a shotgun that's too short and you'll likely get a bloody nose (punched with your own thumb) or shoot "up the barrel" and send the pattern above the target. Any kid that gets beat up by his gun is liable to quit hunting. Bigger is better.
I couldn't disagree more.

You shouldn't ever get cut by a properly shouldered scoped rifle or shotgun, especially not one in a caliber/gauge suitable for a child. If thats happening, you're doing something wrong...

Most youth guns are usually only about 1"-1.5" shorter than their adult size versions and maybe an ounce or two lighter.

For a kid growing into a gun- a big, long, heavy, poorly fitted rifle or shotgun is a bad idea

I think the OP is getting a biased list of suggestions with this being primarily a western hunting forum.

View attachment 255877
I did not know that when I signed up. But that’s ok, I might learn something about the west even though I will probably never go there again, but wait!, I have been to Vegas twice! And then I drove down to the Grand Canyon, but I did not get too close to the edge. I am afraid of heights. But I subscribe to Bugle magazine and support the RMEF and the articles in there are top notch and I enjoy reading them.

Last edited:

You shouldn't ever get cut by a properly shouldered scoped rifle or shotgun, especially not one in a caliber/gauge suitable for a child. If thats happening, you're doing something wrong...

Most youth guns are usually only about 1"-1.5" shorter than their adult size versions and maybe an ounce or two lighter.

For a kid growing into a gun- a big, long, heavy, poorly fitted rifle or shotgun is a bad idea
I agree with OH here again. The guns with shortened kid stocks are pretty much one size should fit all but they don't. I've had the scope cut with a rifle that fit well but simply more recoil than I could handle. I had to learn to shoot it. Got the bloody nose from a short shotgun to. Belonged to aa friends wife and stock was made to fit her, D**n that hurt! I think fit get to much press but for a kid I don't think it gets enough. I bet I can take a punch in the nose or a black eye better than a 12 yr old kid!

Seem's like a lot of dad's today are only interested in getting the kid a rifle he can grow into rather than one he can learn to shoot with! yet that same dad has a bunch of his own rifles and often one oir two in there that would be a better chooice for the kids first gun. take your 243 and cut off the stock so it fits him and when he grows into it have the thing put back on so once again it fits him!

Truth in that but you can get cut by the scope in a well fitted rifle. Simply don't get the scope mounted right, I was young and stupid one time and mounted a new scope wrong! look at that photo and the stock length appears to long and the kid does not have it well into her shoulder. Eye relief is excessive and with the rifle mounted poorly she still get the bloody eye!

Truth in that but you can get cut by the scope in a well fitted rifle. Simply don't get the scope mounted right, I was young and stupid one time and mounted a new scope wrong! look at that photo and the stock length appears to long and the kid does not have it well into her shoulder. Eye relief is excessive and with the rifle mounted poorly she still get the bloody eye!
Agreed, just trying to add some levity to the conversation.

The point is you cannot "properly mount" a gun that is too short. Been there done that! My first gun was a Model 12 cut off short. The little old lady who previously owned it had just become a widow. She no longer hunted and was liquidating. At age 12 it just maybe fit me. It soon did not. I can't count on both hands the times that gun gave me a bloody nose. Similarly, Dad cut the stock short on Mom's 760 Remington. My brother and I both got scope cut shooting that gun. If scope relief was moved forward, I got socked in the nose by my thumb.

So what critical disadvantage will a rifle a little long and heavy present for this young man? He's shooting from a blind or stand if I understand the OP correctly. He won't be carrying the gun around all day. Move the scope back for him if needed ... but not too far. Move it ahead as he grows. He likely as not will be shooting from a rest so a bit extra stock or barrel length won't make any difference.

Shotgun is a different matter ... if he plans to use it wingshooting or for clay targets (turkey hunting not so much). Then a precise fit is better BECAUSE HE'S SHOOTING AT MOVING TARGETS. I would not expect a boy starting out deer hunting to be shooting at them running. Also, at this point fast follow up shots should not be a huge concern. It's one reason my dad would not consider an auto for his boys. Kids need to learn to shoot carefully and accurately. It's why I would never get a youth anything but a bolt action.

I bought a Ruger American in 300 blackout. It’s a cheap gun, but it’s very accurate. With Federal 150 grain soft point ammo it’ll touch holes at 100 yards. I’ve used it to kill 5 deer this year and at 200 yards it destroyed the insides of a big doe. I got exit holes on every deer I shot. It doesn’t have much recoil…almost none. If you’re hunting whitetail sized critters it’s an awesome caliber.

Last edited:
How is she going to get scope cut being too far from the scope? If it's not in the pocket correctly, the gun may get away but that can happen just as easily with a shorter stock. Hold a longer stock shorter on the fore end and there should be no problem for a short person to get it in the pocket properly. Fast shooting might still be a bit problematic but again kids starting out should not be shooting fast anyway.

How is she going to get scope cut being too far from the scope? If it's not in the pocket correctly, the gun may get away but that can happen just as easily with a shorter stock. Hold a longer stock shorter on the fore end and there should be no problem for a short person to get it in the pocket properly. Fast shooting might still be a bit problematic but again kids starting out should not be shooting fast anyway.
Aw maybe so but that didn't happen in that video.Notice her head just before shooting, never should have got the eye make up. Then notice when she fires the butt slips out of her shoulder and the whole thing get's her. Notice the recoil. Is that had been say a 223 it likely would not have got her. Wonder if she wanted to fire another shot? :) First rifle for kids should be quite a bit a teaching tool!

Thanks, everyone.

I like the idea of the Marlin 30-30. Not an ideal elk rifle, tho, if he decides hunting is for him.

If we go 6.5CM, 223x or 7mm-08, I won’t get hung up on the iron sights. Good point was made by I forget who that he is already blinking stuff with the 22 for practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back