Tactical - Assualt Rifles

WV,

Do you see any issues with running the TA33 with the A2 front? Or did you get a taller mount? Just wondering...

Thanks!

I don't even notice the front site. If I look for it I get a small blur at best.

Nice!!

I'm sort of in the market for a magnified optic for my AR.

All I can say is that I have some Awesome friends... I ended up Swapping my M6A1-s for a Noveske and a G-19 about 18mo ago. Have an Aimpoint on the Noveske currently, but thinking about a second optic with some magnification for whistle pigs, and I'd love to see what 75gr TAP does to an Antelope.

I'm sort of in the market for a magnified optic for my AR.

Before you go all in on an ACOG, I would check out some of the variable offerings out there in the 1-4 range (Vortex Razor/Viper PST, Leupold M/RT, Nightforce NXS Compact). Mount it with a QR one piece mount and you would have a pretty sweet setup, Larue maybe?

I am not saying the ACOGs aren't awesome, I obviously own/use several, but this gives you a little more flexability.

The Aimpont is in a Larue QD, and what ever else I do will be as well.

At this point I'm leaning more toward something like a PST 2.5-10 or similar... I've seen enough torture testing on the larue mounts that I trust them to RTZ, just swap between the two as needed.

For my duty rifle, I have several optics zeroed, and swap them out based on the environment, no one setup is ideal everywhere, or for every mission. That is the beauty of these rifles.

Before you go all in on an ACOG, I would check out some of the variable offerings out there in the 1-4 range (Vortex Razor/Viper PST, Leupold M/RT, Nightforce NXS Compact). Mount it with a QR one piece mount and you would have a pretty sweet setup, Larue maybe?

I am not saying the ACOGs aren't awesome, I obviously own/use several, but this gives you a little more flexability.

If our local ranges would start having 3 gun matches more than once a year I could justify picking up a 1-4 Nightforce. I haven't looked at 1 - 4 in a while and as I recall there were several new options coming to market.

Don't forget the Dillo Dust, Hat, Dillo bottle opener and Paint Mixer that comes free with a Larue mount. :D

nidahunter, I looked at the carbon variant when I purchased my Bushmaster M-4. It looked and felt like I was holding a toy gun compared to the standard M-4, and it was the same price but didn't come with the scope (or red dot sight), or the carrying case. I actually looked for several months at different dealers as well as the gun shows and compared both models side by side before deciding to purchase....after deciding on the Bushmaster rather than many of the other brands that I looked at and priced. I believe that David N. who is on this site bought one, so you might pm him and inquire as to his opinion, if he doesn't see this thread and offer his input.

Who could someone possibly forget the dillo dust?!?

And IIRC... A pair of bumper stickers! I could use another "Extremely Rightwing" Larue bumper sticker... After moving to Missoula, that would be a surefire way to get my car egged!

I was never a fan of AR type rifles until I shot a friends, then I had to get my own. They are very pleasant to shoot with little to no recoil in the .223 caliber. They can also be very accurate as I have found out with mine. I know its not the typical application for an AR but mine is a Rock River Arms Elite Operator II, with a LaRue removable scope mount, Vortex Viper PST 6-24, Atlas bipod, and Giessele trigger. My goal was to build a .223 that holds 3/4MOA at 800yds and after reloading multiple different rounds I found the sweet spot. I know this isn't exactly what your looking for, but thought I'd share anyway.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 178
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 174
I can see that I am going to be spending some time at the Gun shops and Gun shows trying figuring this out. but at-least you guys have given me some good ideas. to help in my search.

Thanks
Kevin

So do you want an "assault rifle" or a modern sporting rifle? Because an assault rifle is going to cost you big bucks since the U.S. Military defines an assault rifle as one that has "selective fire" (ie, semi, burst, FA). A sporting rifle is semi auto only.

I'd suggest getting a BCM, DD, COLT 6920, LMT, Noveske, ect. Don't buy junk. Centurion Arms makes great rails, same as DD. I'd say keep it very simple until you figure out exactly what you want. I cant say enough great things about Aimpoint either, but tons of people like Eotechs too....its all preference.

Bucky

Here are my thoughts, based off of carrying and fighting with an M4 carbine for the last 14 years:

1. 16 or 18 inch barrel, and a flattop reciever.
2. Any of the reputable manufacturers
3. Eotech is probably the option for a red dot, and go with the AA battery option. I like the EOTech because the 65 MOA ring around the dot makes finding the dot easier when shooting in ackward positions, plus the dot in the middle is 1 MOA making longer engagements more precise. An aimpoint is a 4 MOA dot so at 200yds it covers 8 inches.
4. If you intend to use it for home defense put a light on it. As bad as one might want to, no one wants to plug the daughter's boyfriend when he is sneaking in/out. Stay away from rifle lights too, they good for fighting under night vision, but are pointless for your use. Buy a good pistol light and you will be good.
5. If you buy a collapsable stock get one with a rubber butt pad. Magpul makes a really good one, that is very inexpensive.
6. Add accessories slowly, only add what you need. No point in making a nice light rifle into a boat anchor. Most pros don't have all of that junk they sell on their rifles, they have a few key pieces and thats it. If I was you, I would start with the rifle and optic and go from there.

Here are a couple of my ARs, some pics aren't the best sorry.

My Duty rifle. I was providing some instruction to an elected official.
View attachment 38964

My personal M4
View attachment 38963

My Special Purpose Rifle. This rifle holds MOA out to 600m with 77grn heavy match.
View attachment 38966

With my favorite lady shooting it. She doesn't shoot much, so I love this pic.
View attachment 38965

You have the Acog on one rifle. What is your opinion of that VS the Eotech?? Better for long range? Dot or Chevron? BTW, anyone looking for an Eotech or Acog PM me and I will give you a smoking deal

You have the Acog on one rifle. What is your opinion of that VS the Eotech?? Better for long range? Dot or Chevron? BTW, anyone looking for an Eotech or Acog PM me and I will give you a smoking deal

The bottom line is that if you want precision you want the ACOG and if you want speed you want an EOTech. I would use an EOTech for missions in urban areas where engagements are most likely to be from 250m-0m.

It really depends on the intended target, and what you expect for precision. If you are concerned about measuring your groups to see how accurate the rifle is at 100m you want the ACOG.

I primarily use the TA01NSN which has no fiber optic lumination and uses tritium at night. The crosshair looks like an upside down christmas tree with the width of the arms equaling 19in at the given range, which is roughly equal to the width of a man's chest. I personally don't like the chevrons or the ring and dots, but they do have their advantages if you are looking for the one sight fits all, as they do catch the eye and can increase the speed of engagement at short range.

I'm building 2 ARs to add to the 1 I already own. 1 will be a 6.5Grendel and the other will be a 458 Socom (assuming I can get the parts). Building isn't necessarily cheaper but you get exactly what you want. I too suggest Palmetto State Armory. Their stuff tends to be the cheapest around and good quality. I picked up an upper and a lower parts kit for $60.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back