Yeti GOBOX Collection

T Bone's Idaho goat hunt

T Bone

I'm back earlier than expected!

Here's a brief background. After sheep hunting in 27-2 in previous years I/we spotted many many mountain goats in the area. IDF&G offered no tags in this particular area and I asked them why. They asked for detailed numbers and locations of goats in the fall of 2006 and in 2007 they opened up the area to 2 tags!

I applied thinking I had slim to no chance, but to my surprise I was the recipient of a once in a lifetime Idaho mountain goat tag. My hopes were to harvest a mature billy with a good shaggy coat so I waited until later in the season. Waiting was a gamble since the area is only accessible via foot traffic over a series of high passes.

This hunt takes place in the area known as the Big Horn Crags.

DAY 1, Friday 09/28
The plan was to work a couple hours and head out for the 12 hour drive to the trail head. A week prior, I decided that making the trip again in my 1986 Ford was a bit too chancy, so I'd updated my transportation to a shiny new, comfy ride.

I made the drive safely and met my father at the trailhead late Friday night.

Nobody else in the campground. Some snow on the ground. More than expected.

DAY 2, Saturday 09/29

We have 12 miles to cover today to get to my spot where I expect to be able to spot a number of goats.

We wake to an inch of new snow and it's snowing hard. We buckle up for a long ride and hope the weather calms down. We make an early start @ 4 AM.

DayoneHikein.jpg

Dad.jpg

At mile 6 Dad is showing signs of gassing out. Snow is constant and wind is face numbing. I was worried about him coming on the trip. We havn't been hydrating like we should have because the water bladders are froze up. He wanted to come on one more adventure, and I hope the decision isn't a big mistake.

We cross paths with a mule train belonging to the outfitter in the unit. He just dropped off a sheep hunter and guides. Melton is his name, very reputable and a good guy. The wrangler looks at us like we are nutzo!

We slow the pace. At mile 8 we offload his gear into my pack and I press forward to mile 12 and get camp set on a wind whipped high ridge.

Tent.jpg

I dump my pack and head back to get get Dad. I find him plugging along well enough and I take his pack and get him to camp.

We light the stove in the Kifaru Paratipi and get warm, dried, and full of hot food. Dad will be fine.
GoatHunt-intent.jpg

After I get some hot food in me I go out and glass for an hour in the fading light. I come back cold and discouraged. Too much stinking white stuff! I call my wife on the satellite phone to chitchat and get a weather forecast. Weather shows partly cloudy for Sunday....

I close my eyes with a prayer that we can get some sun to melt off the snow.....

Day 3, Sunday 30th

After a solid night's rest we wake to frigid temps and cloudless skies. The sun comes up and we spot a herd of sheep with a 1/2 curl ram in it. I focus on the other mountain which is 1 mile distant where I expect the goats to be. By 9 am the sun is melting away the snow!

About 9:30 or so I pick up the round belly of a goat in my 10x binos! The spotter comes out for a closer inspection.
Spottingthebilly.jpg

With the spotter cranked to 45x, at a mile distant I can tell it's a mature goat, but can't say 100% if it's a billy. Finally after 30 minutes it turns and faces me and it appears to have the mass of a billy! Interestingly enough the goat is located within a couple hundred yards of the ram I stalked and tagged last year.

Dad and I discuss a plan. With the weather so dicey I decide to try for this goat today, now. We discuss landmarks, planned path, signals, etc. As I'm about to leave we discover another unseen goat has joined the target.....Is it a nanny and a yearling? Mature billies are not social animals this time of year. Another peek through the scope again makes me think this is a billy and the other is a smaller, but mature goat.

At 11 am I dive off the mountain by taking the same path as last year. I find the chute to be treacherous with the snow. I had several religious moments on the way down.

I reach the bottom sound, and start up the other side. I reach the desired elevation and start easing in. I glass Dad for signals. He says continue in planned direction.

I have video of the stalk that I'd like to post, but I havn't a clue how to do that yet....it'd be much more appropriate than me trying to write it.

"I had several religious moments on the way down." (T Bone)

...easy imagery to understand.

Great story so far, but how does it go from being the Friday the 28th to Saturday the 30th?

Day 3, the stalk....continued

Day 3, the stalk....continued

I was within a couple hundred yards of the goats, but I couldn't see them.

I continued slowly until I crested a little bump and saw a nanny at 30 yards. I video her and she busts me. She then postures sideways, and puffs up big raising her hackles up, I got it all on video. Very cool. I was thinking the big goat was another 50 yards but all of a sudden he pops his head up 10 feet below him. I drop the camera and ID him as not only a billy, but a very solid billy. I reach for the rifle as they run as the safety clicks off....no shot. I pick up and give chase. They're heading toward the cliffs about 200 yards away.

I top the next knife ridge and see the goats running through some house sized rocks about 150 yards out. The nanny is in the lead with the billy a distant second. The nanny flashes quartering away through an opening between two boulders. I sit, rifle ready, safety off. Just as the billy enters the opening the trigger breaks and the billy continues and disappears.

Seconds later the nanny pops up on the cliff and watches me.....no billy on the follow. The nanny and I have a stare down for 15 minutes or so and she bails off the other side. I walk up and find a maze of boulders, house sized rocks and vertical chutes that drop to the bottom of Roaring Creek.

Where'd he go? I find no dead goat, no sign of him. I look down the two seperate chutes, nothing. I climb up on the cliff where the nanny was and glass down below me looking for something. After 5 minutes, I see a track in the snow in the mouth of a narrow chute only 12 feet wide and near vertical. I circle back down and find another track and then a crash and slide in the snow! I continue down the chute and spot my billy caught on a dead snag!
CloseUp.jpg

Great billy! I'm thrilled with him. I lift his head up to get a better look at him and he dislodges and rolls another couple hundred feet! Luckily he stops on a boulder. If he would've missed that stop, he'd still be free falling to the valley floor.

Here are a couple more pics of him.

TheGoat-2.jpg

TheGoat.jpg

Great coat on him and I estimated him to around 9".

The chute was so narrow and steep that without a tripod I couldn't get the camera set up for timer photos...

It was 3 pm, I hurried caped, boned out the goat and studied the face of the mountain I was about to climb. I picked my line and got trucking. The descent was fine with the snow all melted, but the ascent back to camp was spookier than crap. I really pushed myself as I didn't want to be on that face in the dark.

I got back to camp right at dark completely exhausted and a more than a little nauseous.

I call home again on the sat phone to give the good news and to get a weather forecast.....

Next 3 days are forecast as snow and more snow. I had in mind to stay on the mountain a day and rest, but the weather changed our plan.

Great story and great animal T Bone, will look great on your wall! Congrats.

Day 4, exiting the Crags.

We woke to snow and high winds.

We packed up and hit the trail. Progress was slow, but steady. My pack was one of the heavier, if not the heaviest I've ever attempted. By mile 6 my right knee was hurting, the snow was accumulating, with drifts a couple feet deep.

One foot in front of the other, until we found ourselves standing in front our vehicles.

Kinda odd how fragile we are. I was very much concerned about my ability to myself and my Dad out of there. A mere few hours later, we were in a Cafe in Challis sipping cocoa, soup, and burgers.

I checked the goat in the Salmon office on Tuesday morning and he turned out to be perfectly symmetrical at 9 1/4 " length with 5 1/8" bases. His mass tapers off quickly though. The surprise was his age. At only 4 1/2 years old it speaks well of the genetics and habitat in there.

So there ya go. Got my goat.

If someone can brief me how to load video, I'll post those. If so, It'll show me in my green stretchy magic pants.

Congratulations, T-bone. A well-earned trophy! Are you doing a life-size or a shoulder mount?

I like the fact you didn't keep us in suspense with the good stuff like some other jack-holes around here...cough, OAK! :)

So what are the chances of you hunting in this area ever again?

Really, really nice goat!!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back