SXS or ATV

Is there such a thing as a quiet SXS? The old kawasaki mule was about like a golf cart and barely more capable. But all the new ones I have rode in are super loud for the passenger. I don't think its all the exhaust but the engine/trans noise also. Polaris RZR and JD Gator is all I have experience with.

Sold my Can AM outlander this year and bought a Polaris RZR 800. Did it because my 84 year old Father in Law wouldn't be able to get on and off the quad for our upcoming Nevada hunt. He likes to get off the beaten path and see what is over the next hill and in his younger years took the shoe leather express. Now days he can't walk more than a few hundred yards before he is done. The last couple of years he has been a road hunter but damn if I am going to let him drive my Ram 2500 some of the places he would take it. I figure a good used RZR should take him on his adventures well enough for what will probably be his last Nevada hunt. In addition the RZR will allow my wife and dogs to ride along with me in relative comfort while scouting or just going for a ride.

Is there such a thing as a quiet SXS? The old kawasaki mule was about like a golf cart and barely more capable. But all the new ones I have rode in are super loud for the passenger. I don't think its all the exhaust but the engine/trans noise also. Polaris RZR and JD Gator is all I have experience with.
No. The Honda’s are the least noisy as far as I know but it’s not like driving a car. The Hondas don’t have that auto tranny whine but that auto dct tranny ain’t exactly a smooth shifter either.

Also depends on where you plan on riding… I like the narrow track of our Rzr900, can use on limited width trail systems and gets around where our quad can go but still the plus’s of a SxS. Wish it was a touch quieter but they are what they are 03093703-1EEF-4A6B-85F8-C8E48CC18B5B.jpeg

I still like the feel of riding an ATV opposed to driving a SXS. The SXS has a huge advantage in bad weather.

We have a Polaris ranger and and Honda wheeler at the farm. Both get a lot of use and are handy for different things. The ranger is a game changer for fencing, cattle supplements, checking cows, etc. Sure beats banging around the pastures in a pickup. The wheeler is better for general running around, chasing cows, running back to the shop 17 times when we are doing a project, etc. Both are essential pieces of equipment. If I had to narrow it down to just one I would probably go with the side by side.

Going to demo the Maverick later this month so we can compare it to the Razr. I appreciate all the input.

Anyone have recommendations on trails Around Bozeman, West Yellowstone or Ennis? Looking for a longer more challenging ride with a scenic view.

Going to demo the Maverick later this month so we can compare it to the Razr. I appreciate all the input.

Anyone have recommendations on trails Around Bozeman, West Yellowstone or Ennis? Looking for a longer more challenging ride with a scenic view.

Here’s your trail, tough and long enough, North Meadow creek..

B16A0DD5-3B9D-4FC9-A794-5E34A6CFEE7B.jpeg

I've had both,a polaris atv, and a pioneer 500 at the same time. I now only own the Pioneer 500, I've had it for 4 years. With 2 people, it's much more comfortable,when taking the dog along, it's much easier, and with any weather it's a bunch better than the atv ever was. The 50" wide thing is great, I can still fit through the gates on the atv trails, but if you've ridden in some of the wide sxs with a ton of wheel travel it's not the same. At all. I like the bench seat, it's easier for my fatass to get in and out of, but the other contender when we shopped was the wildcat trail. Wildcat had a better ride, and more power, harder to get in and out of. I didn't like the seating position as much as I do the Honda. I think the more utilitarian slant of the pioneer was the final reason for my choice, but whatever you choose, I think the sxs is easier to spend time with 2 riding than any of the 2 up atvs.

It’s official. Got a deposit down on a Maverick Trail 1000. Should come in between January & April. I appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited:

P1000268.JPG

I like my RZR; can pack an entire elk.

North Meadow Creek road to the lake is a gnarly ride, as Shrapnel showed.

Been looking at this for a while now...

For me, it's between the 2022 Polaris General XP1000 and the 2022 Yamaha RMAX 1000.

Both in 4 door.

Yamaha has a shorter length and much better reliability.

I really like the General, but between the always being broken talk I hear on Polaris... I'm leaning towards the RMAX.

SXS all day long if they're road legal where you are. If not, I might give a slight edge to being able to load an ATV easily in the bed of my truck and get to dirt. In my unit, you need a street legal vehicle to get to all the various trailheads, hence my decision to buy a 2dr Jeep Rubicon. Won't be as much of a mountain goat as my Yamaha Wolverine X4, but should do the trick.

My truck and utility trailer is just too big to get to trailheads and parked out of the way.
Can you get a bench in the wolverine? I have the need for 5 total, 3 kids and 2 adults. Also, does the rear seating area get hot with the engine between the back seats?

I'm concerned about the storage size if I harvest an elk...

After having a tree come out of nowhere on a narrow forest road this past weekend my wife thinks we need a SxS. Also lost a hubcap and scraped through a lot of alders. 50" would be nice for some of the NF trails but a 4 seater would be good too. The dust on busy weekends around here is a PITA though.

View attachment 194011
Same experience has led me to this post. Got the deer, tho. Ha!

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back