SXS or ATV

802flyfish

My wife and I are looking for a SXS or an atv for trail riding and hunting. We like the fact that the SXS is street legal in MT. However, it’s almost double the cost of the Outlander.
Anyone own or ridden both ? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Looking at the Can Am Outlander 570 or Maverick Trail 1000cc

I love my my pioneer 1000 for most situations and its street legal with nice bed size and in cold weather still comfortable. For quick solo trips with no trailer its nice to just load my sportsman 570 in back of truck close tailgate and go but mid winter atvs suck. Last i heard price has gone stupid on both so good luck shopping

I have the mid sized Polaris ranger which has suited my needs for hunting and some minor utility work around the house. That said, we have very, very limited options for trail riding around here and SxS’s are not street legal where I live.

i can take it on restricted width trails in most states that require 50” or less width, but not on single tracks. It’s really not suited for the back of the truck IMO, but they claim it can fit a standard pick-up bed. I also have a diamondback HD bed cover and would not consider hauling it on top of that. If you want ease of transport without a trailer then I’d lean towards an ATV. But I can tell you that tilt utility bed is a game changer for me. I would not make the switch to an ATV based on how I use it and my needs.

Many of the options I see on these SxS’s today are really overkill and unnecessary and they drive up the price…a lot like pick up trucks anymore these days. But they are really cool, fast and fun if you have a place to ride like that.

Used ones in decent shape are hard to find too, so maybe make a list of the “must have“ features and another ”nice to have‘s” and sit down and rationalize what you really need. I found the prices to be not too far off between a 2up capable ATV and the SxS I bought...but that was back in 2009.

I love my my pioneer 1000 for most situations and its street legal with nice bed size and in cold weather still comfortable. For quick solo trips with no trailer its nice to just load my sportsman 570 in back of truck close tailgate and go but mid winter atvs suck. Last i heard price has gone stupid on both so good luck shopping
Yes, it sucks to not have a covered cab and windshield in rain and snow. If you ever get caught in weather on an ATV you will certainly wish you went with the SxS…a scene from the movie dumb and dumber comes to mind just thinking about this.

I wish I had a pic of my friend, who has an ATV, after we rode out during a snow storm One year in MT. I was in my SxS with his dad and he was alone on his ATV. He hasn’t brought his ATV out on a hunt we have both been on since then.

100% agree that the market for boats, RV’s, tricks and ATV’s is just crazy now. It it were me I’d hold off…but I’m a cheap ass who doesn’t like to spend money or use dealer or bank financing for such things. Best of luck to you.

Located in SW Montana & have a surplus of trails within a ten mile radius from my house. Would be nice to zip around town since they’re street legal. Really like the Can Am Maverick Trail 1000CC. Wife can’t comprehend the 15k price tag. We’re renting a Razr this weekend. Hopefully my wife takes a likening to it.

I have a RZR 800 and a Rancher 350 as well.

If I could only have one it would be the sxs, much more practical and gets much more use.

I have two ATVs I am considering keeping one and trading one in for a midsized sxs.
I would want a two seater with a tilt bed. As I age I can see the benefits of a more mechanized way of loading a deer and getting it back to camp.

If work around your property factors into the decision, I've been happy with my Kubota sidekick. Deals with trails reasonably well (getting logs and deer out), has a useful dump bed and goes about 40mph instead of their diesel 25mph models that Kubota offers. Not as sporty looking, though.

I have a Pioneer 1000-5. Having used ATVs my whole life, it took me a while to warm up to it, but it is growing on me. I don't use it for hunting, but it gets used daily around home and I do really like the versatility. If you plan on having passengers, the side by side is definitely the way to go. If you'll be on it yourself 95% of the time, the size and maneuverability of the wheeler may be preferable.

I have a Rzr trail version and a Yamaha Grizzly ATV. If I could only pick one it would for sure be the SxS. The reason I don't swap the ATV out for a SxS is because I couldn't get 2 SxS's into my toy hauler but I can squeeze the ATV and the SxS in there together.

One advantage to an atv is that an atv can get you in places a sxs can not.
Can also get you into places that it cant get you out of lol.

All jokes aside, I really prefer an ATV but SXS are really freaking awesome. You really cant go wrong with either. SXS can be limited on atv trails unless you get a 50 inch model.

If your willing to shop around a bit you can look at some of the other brands out there as well, Massimo, CFMOTO, HISUN. You can get into something much cheaper.

My dad has had his massimo sxs since 2010 and the only issue he has had was a brakeline snapping off due to his grandsons jumping it and running into a giant brush pile and getting a stick lodged where the brakeline was. That and a cracked manifold but that was a quick fix at the local muffler shop.

We would absolutely get horses if that was an option for us. We live on a small plot in a ski town so finding a place to board horses is almost impossible/expensive.

Can also get you into places that it cant get you out of lol.

All jokes aside, I really prefer an ATV but SXS are really freaking awesome. You really cant go wrong with either. SXS can be limited on atv trails unless you get a 50 inch model.

If your willing to shop around a bit you can look at some of the other brands out there as well, Massimo, CFMOTO, HISUN. You can get into something much cheaper.

My dad has had his massimo sxs since 2010 and the only issue he has had was a brakeline snapping off due to his grandsons jumping it and running into a giant brush pile and getting a stick lodged where the brakeline was. That and a cracked manifold but that was a quick fix at the local muffler shop.
I looked into CFMoto 950 and it was only two grand cheaper then the Maverick Trail. Still a good chunk of change but I think I’d rather pay the extra money to get an Can Am.

Most USFS trails by me are 50” so I’m obligated to buy something within that size. Got to make sure I fit in one first.

Back