SXS or ATV

We’ve had a Polaris ranger for 5 years now and had an ATV for 10 years before that. We got more use out of the SxS in the first few months than the entire time with the ATV. If there are youngsters that are going to ride a SxS is the only option I’d be comfortable with. Plus having a windshield is nice on those chilly days.

Depends on the trail, if a 50 inch wide only then you would be looking at a smaller narrow sxs. I have a friend who has a sxs and on some narrow trails that you side hill on his roll bar hits the tree's and it gets hard to get by on occasion. In this situation a ATV is better. If you don't go on those type of trails the sxs would work better.
In my area there are no ATV trails so my truck works just fine. In Seeley most sxs owners use theirs to go to the post office or the store. Most also have street tires on lol they are a status symbol here I guess. I use my ATV primarily to plow snow.

Both are nice. One thing not mentioned was having 2 machines is nice also. Especially when they break down remote. And they all break n get stuck.
Get an adequate winch n pulley system. We use ours for hunting a lot and there's usually no trails so 4 wheelers work better.
Either way you're getting out so it's a win. Going out riding with my beautiful wife is one of the best things in my life

As someone who has never owned any sort of SXS or ATV, I've found myself leaning towards the SXS from the perspective of being multi user...more for use on two tracks I wouldn't want to take my Pickup on.

SXS all day long if they're road legal where you are. If not, I might give a slight edge to being able to load an ATV easily in the bed of my truck and get to dirt. In my unit, you need a street legal vehicle to get to all the various trailheads, hence my decision to buy a 2dr Jeep Rubicon. Won't be as much of a mountain goat as my Yamaha Wolverine X4, but should do the trick.

My truck and utility trailer is just too big to get to trailheads and parked out of the way.

The choice depends a lot on what you are going to use it for. For me the choice is an ATV : maintaining mountain bike trails for a private landowner, retrieving deer, fence work, herbicide spraying, hauling decoys and blinds over muddy & plowed cornfields. A SXS would be too wide and heavy for me.

I have both and use the SxS about 95% of the time. Load capacity, comfort and all around usefulness makes the SxS the better option. We were up the nastiest road just yesterday and managed to get up to a lake and have lunch before turning around and heading back. I won’t be going up there again anytime soon...

13A0AD04-BE8F-44BC-A97C-213276B844AC.jpeg

We bought a Honda pioneer 550. It’s a small SxS but it still goes 45 and has low end power for days if you pull anything with it. Fits in the back of a full size pickup. Our 4wheeler went down the road after buying it. Drive shaft on it so no worry of belt issues like a lot of SxS. Plus it’s a Honda so you know it’s going to run forever

First pic: running bear baits you need lots of room for stuff. 2nd pic is a hell of a day packing out a7x6 bull and nice 4pt. Neither could of been done with one trip in a atv and its a long trip back on roads you cant get a truck. This is where SxS shine to me.
KIMG2202.JPGIMG_20181016_170321943.jpg

My wife and I are looking for a SXS or an atv for trail riding and hunting. We like the fact that the SXS is street legal in MT. However, it’s almost double the cost of the Outlander.
Anyone own or ridden both ? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Looking at the Can Am Outlander 570 or Maverick Trail 1000cc
I have an outlander. Have been in a Maverick Trail 1000 plenty. The Maverick is loud. If I get a SxS, it won't be a Maverick. We're a mixed family. We have wheelers. I'd like to get a SxS but my wife likes the wheelers and doesn't care for the SxS. I also like riding the wheeler just fine but I find the SxS pretty useful. I don't think I'd like a big wide one. But I do have interest in a Polaris RZR.

although mules would have been my choice when I was younger (and richer) I have a Polaris Ranger, "Northstar" edition, it is hands down the best, most usable, most comfortable SxS I've used to date, they ARE spendy though but as they say, "buy once, cry once" and I cried 3 times - Now, as said previously above if I were to get a bit more adventurous I would also have an ATV but you don't have to spend a ton for one and the older Hondas, Yamahas and Kawasaki were very dependable and more miserly on fuel, TRACKS would be a terrific addition IMO

I have a Pioneer 1000-5. Having used ATVs my whole life, it took me a while to warm up to it, but it is growing on me. I don't use it for hunting, but it gets used daily around home and I do really like the versatility. If you plan on having passengers, the side by side is definitely the way to go. If you'll be on it yourself 95% of the time, the size and maneuverability of the wheeler may be preferable.
How does the 1000 5 do with passenger in the second row. I love the idea of having a second row and not sacrificing too much wheel base/garage space.

Bought a little whitetail property near home about a month ago and needed a OHV for food plotting and general work. Get out your check book, new inventories and used prices are not favorable to buyers right now! I got a ‘19 Yamaha kodiak 700 w/ 400 miles and 30 hours for probably the same price as the seller paid for it new but it was still notably cheaper than I’d pay for a new kodiak 450 with similar options after taxes and dealer fees are tagged on.

I have used my parents Honda pioneer 700-4 a fair bit on their property and would 100% go Sxs if the cost, need for a trailer, and lesser ability to get through tight spots is not a deal breaker. Lack of a trailer and cost were the deal breakers for me but I would not be surprised if the atv gets traded for or supplemented with a UTV in the next couple years. It kind of sucks riding 2 up with the wife on an ATV.

Last edited:
How does the 1000 5 do with passenger in the second row. I love the idea of having a second row and not sacrificing too much wheel base/garage space.

I’m a very average 5’10” 185 and don’t mind riding in the back seat of a 700-4. Knees are against the front seat and I wouldnt want to do it for trail riding but I don’t find it inconvenient for getting point a to point b.

The USFS road to my parents property doesn’t get plowed in the winter and we use the pioneer with tracks to access it occasionally. We pile in with 4 adults and it works fine.

Last edited:
I can’t say I’ve even sat in the back yet, but the kids love it back there. I’ve had a handful of adults sit in back to show them around the land and nobody has mentioned anything yet about it being uncomfortable.

The flip up backseats are one of the main reasons I got the Honda, other than their reputation. Most of the time I have the seats flipped down with a bed liner in there for chores. But, if we need to, in 30 seconds I can have it ready for passengers. The turning radius is surprisingly good. Much better than I thought it would be. I had no interest in maneuvering a limousine through the woods like some of those machines.

I have both and use the SxS about 95% of the time. Load capacity, comfort and all around usefulness makes the SxS the better option. We were up the nastiest road just yesterday and managed to get up to a lake and have lunch before turning around and heading back. I won’t be going up there again anytime soon...

View attachment 193925
Looks like a road between P burg and Drummond.

After having a tree come out of nowhere on a narrow forest road this past weekend my wife thinks we need a SxS. Also lost a hubcap and scraped through a lot of alders. 50" would be nice for some of the NF trails but a 4 seater would be good too. The dust on busy weekends around here is a PITA though.

dent.jpg

Back