Switching Dog Breeds

Labs have been the top selling breed in the American Kennel Club for like thirty years running. They are also the preferred breed for seeing eye dogs. There's a reason. I've owned seven. All have been great in the home and the field. You can't go wrong with a Lab. German shepherds have been wrecked by poor breeding. A ton of genetic issues. As loving as they are, no one messes with a Lab's family! A drunk neighbor walked into my house once in the middle of the night when I was out of town. Our Lab tore a piece out of him. The back porch was a bloody mess. He was gone before my wife could get out of bed. View attachment 212228View attachment 212229
I have to second the lab recommendation. Great dogs and very protective of their homes and owners. Their only drawback if you can call it that is you cannot keep anything on a coffee table. A labs tail will even send full coffee cups flying. Don’t ask how I know.

I have to second the lab recommendation. Great dogs and very protective of their homes and owners. Their only drawback if you can call it that is you cannot keep anything on a coffee table. A labs tail will even send full coffee cups flying. Don’t ask how I know.
Quick answer to that is get rid of the coffee table. I find bending over to set down my cup on the floor is good exercise. Visitors don't appreciate it much ... but I don't have a great appreciation for visitors anyway. They can sit at the kitchen table and drink coffee.

Labs are one of the easiest breeds to train, and you can train solo in any backyard or soccer field with a handful of bumpers.
When I lived in Moscow Idaho I hunted exclusively upland game with my lab (chuckars, huns, pheasants, quail, grouse).
In Alaska I hunt almost exclusively waterfowl, then wintering in Montana a mix of upland and waterfowl.

Labs are one of the easiest breeds to train, and you can train solo in any backyard or soccer field with a handful of bumpers.
When I lived in Moscow Idaho I hunted exclusively upland game with my lab (chuckars, huns, pheasants, quail, grouse).
In Alaska I hunt almost exclusively waterfowl, then wintering in Montana a mix of upland and waterfowl.
We got my sons lab to tree a lion with my hound last Sunday. he is a good waterfowl dog but maybe labs can do everything 😂😂 lab pretty much walked with us to the tree but was treeing hard once he saw the lion. We got a little video of him at the tree it’s funny to see a lab and a hound treeing together

We got my sons lab to tree a lion with my hound last Sunday. he is a good waterfowl dog but maybe labs can do everything 😂😂 lab pretty much walked with us to the tree but was treeing hard once he saw the lion. We got a little video of him at the tree it’s funny to see a lab and a hound treeing together
Somehow that doesn’t suprize me at all. There are documented cases of labs being able to smell cancer in people.

I have a 7 month puppy so this thread caught my eye. I had a yellow lab before, now I’ve moved on to a new to me breed. I saw a post from January stating a gentleman had seen a few Pudelpointers but wasn’t interested in mixed breeds so I thought I clear things up. All dogs are mixed breeds are they not? Pudelpointers are far from doodles that are popular these days, in fact they contributed to creating the DD/GWP. These are German versatile hunting dogs and great in the home. Do yourselves a favor and check them out. You won’t be disappointed

I have an 11 year old lab and when we were starting to think about the recruit, we wanted something versatile like a lab but less shedding. We now have a 10 month old Pudelpointer, and yes, about 90% of people who ask think its a poodle mix, but like Firedad mentions, they actually were used to create other german versatile hunting dogs. so when anyone asks what kind of dog she is, I start off with german wirehair😆

Jury is still out which is better as it'll be impossible to replace my lab and all of the great memories we've had, my wife and I are hard on her as we dont remember any of this puppy stage and goofiness.

Since this is only our 2nd dog, who knows what we'll get next, maybe the PP will impress us or maybe we'll go back to the 870 of the hunting dog world

Back