Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sweet Corn

What's your preferred method for eating sweet corn?

• Typewriter

Votes: 65 81.3%
  • Spiral

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Off the cob (weirdo)

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
Did a multi-family tent camp in a KOA just outside (north of) Ouray, CO when our kids were young. A quick run to Montrose for a load of Olathe sweet corn...wrapped in foil and wet newspaper in their soaked shucks and buried in coals.

Heaven...
I've been here in CO for 14 years now and Olathe corn is passable.....BUT....it isn't in the same universe as midwest (esp IA, IL, IN) ripe sweet corn.

not gonna lie... here in the PNW not really a fan of corn. not sure what the appeal is. all I can think of is that the midwestern life must be truly miserable to get such enjoyment out of something so bland... I mean there's no flavor beyond sweet, and it holds zero nutritional value...

I've been here in CO for 14 years now and Olathe corn is passable.....BUT....it isn't in the same universe as midwest (esp IA, IL, IN) ripe sweet corn.
Truth. Growing up in SC we had sweet corn and it was good, but then I moved to IA and first time had local sweet corn I was blown away how much better it is.

not gonna lie... here in the PNW not really a fan of corn. not sure what the appeal is. all I can think of is that the midwestern life must be truly miserable to get such enjoyment out of something so bland... I mean there's no flavor beyond sweet, and it holds zero nutritional value...
Nah. I've lived in both. Didn't eat sweet corn in PDX and I don't drink IA wine. I do miss the PNW beer and seafood too.

Different regions have their specialities and yes, there's a big difference.

I live in the land of fresh picked Olathe Sweet corn and tree ripe Palisade Peaches. Might as well eat the Best.

Typewriter style mostly.

If
Nah. I've lived in both. Didn't eat sweet corn in PDX and I don't drink IA wine. I do miss the PNW beer and seafood too.

Different regions have their specialities and yes, there's a big difference.
If you like cheap, really really sweet fruit wine then Iowa is where it’s at. I think it’s horrible.

Tree ripe peaches are another one...nothing from a grocery store can touch them, and those palisade peaches are fantastic.
I used to work on a Peach farm when I was a kid, I cannot believe the difference in taste between tree ripened peaches and grocery store peaches.
Most grocery store produce is nowhere near the quality of home grown or fresh picked from the farm

For those of you in or near a "corn state" , what's the average price per ear retail?
I paid $7/dozen last week at the first available stand I have seen. In 2 weeks it will be .25/ear at a stand or your neighbor will just say we’ve picked all we want. You can get what you want and they already have Wal mart bags full of it.

I had some AZ sweet corn last week. It was OK.
Better cut off the cob and sauted in butter and NM chile and eggs.
I'll wait til my shipment of garden corn from WI comes in.

Typewriter style for me, so clean that there is never a portion of a kernel remaining. A couple of my kids are heathen corn on the cob eaters.…strictly random and it hurts my eyes just to look at the remains.

Mrs kansasdad introduced the concept of rolling on the stick of butter when early in our relationship (just engaged) she rolled the cob on the butter completely silencing our entire clan as we watched in fascination. Previously we were spreading pats of butter with a knife, but all have adopted her much superior method.

Corn on the cob is traditionally the first food purchased at the Kansas State Fair for my family. The vendors cook the ears in their husks, pulling down the husks/silk with thermal gloves and then dip the ear about halfway down into a buttery/oily dip station, hold the ear upright to allow the goodness stream towards the stalk end, and hand it off for you to go to the seasoning station to add powdered spices mixtures as desired.

Last edited:
Typewriter method here too. Early sweet corn is ok , but the best stuff starts about a week after the stands open . I always grow plenty but last year the raccoons got most of it.
This year I have pre thinned the raccoon population by 17 . Hopefully with positive results.
When I lived in Montana in the late 70s I actually saw folks adding sugar to the boiling pot and the local sweet corn was still almost inedible. Hybrids for out there are probably a lot better now .
When I go out to Montana for the archery elk opener, a cooler full of iced down Wisconsin sweet corn and some fresh South Dakota walleye always goes over very well !

Genuine question.
In certain cities in CA there are mexicans that roam around parking lots with strawberries or oranges for sale. Sometimes you'll see them posted up on highway offramps or parking shoulders selling hepatitis produce for more money than it costs at a local farmers market. I've seen similar in Idaho/northern Utah with gypsies selling potatoes out of the back of 40' trailers. Ditto for Kentucky with Amish folks, and on and on yadda yadda yadda,
My question is, are there tweakers running around the corn states selling fresh corn out of the trunks of Chrysler LeBarons? This is not a bash on corn states, I'm really curious to know.

Back