Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Swap hunt?

maceman

Not sure if this is in the right spot. I am new to the forum and was wondering if there are any bear hound hunters out there that would like to trade a hunt in Iowa for an otc bear hunt somewhere? I dont have enough points for Wisconsin but am willing to travel. Thanks, Mace

Swapping hunts, unless you are just talking about swapping hunting spots. Sorry, maybe I understood what you are trying to do wrong.

Yeah i want to do it all legal, just looking for someone that would help me fill my bear tag and i would help them with a hunt here in Iowa. I was hoping to find someone with hounds that would take me out in thier area and i would take them out here for a deer, turkey, pheasant or predator. I dont have enough points built up in Wisconsin yet so i was looking for an area where i could buy my tag over the counter.

I know Idaho allows hounds to hunt bear, but Montana does not. I would love to hunt another state, but I am unwilling to help you, sorry.

I know Idaho allows hounds to hunt bear, but Montana does not. .

Idaho bear tags are OTC, baiting permits are OTC, resident hound permits are OTC, but non-resident hound permits are lottery. The drawing for non-resident permits is held December 1 for the following year (you just missed it for 2013). There are a few wilderness areas with leftover permits, but the statewide permits are all gone.
I invited my dad to visit for his first ever bear hunt this coming spring. Last week he got the letter that says he wasn't one of the lucky few non-residents that will get to hunt with hounds. I should still be able to help him find a bear, but now we're probably looking at weeks of hunting instead of an action packed weekend.

I am intrigued by your proposition, but I wouldn't be able to take you up on the offer for legal reasons. Hopefully the following gives you an idea of how to determine if swap hunts are legal in the states you're considering and doesn't prevent you from finding the hunt you're looking for and sharing the great opportunity that you have.
A few years ago our Pheasants Forever chapter had an offer to auction or raffle a swap hunt through a partnership with a chapter in South Dakota. Here is what I learned:
A swap hunt can be prosecuted as outfitting. In Idaho the definition of an outfitter includes: "anyone who ... maintains, leases, or otherwise uses equipment or accommodations for compensation... for hunting animals or birds..." The sticky word in that is compensation.
There is no problem with someone inviting you on a hunting trip with no strings attached, but if there is an agreement for you to return the service it could be considered as a form of compensation.

Well it would just be 2 or more friends hunting together with no promises or strings attached. There would be nothing compensated except friendship!!! There would be no outfitters involved!! Just something to think about, pm me if you have any questions!!! Thanks, Mace

Idaho bear tags are OTC, baiting permits are OTC, resident hound permits are OTC, but non-resident hound permits are lottery. The drawing for non-resident permits is held December 1 for the following year (you just missed it for 2013). There are a few wilderness areas with leftover permits, but the statewide permits are all gone.
I invited my dad to visit for his first ever bear hunt this coming spring. Last week he got the letter that says he wasn't one of the lucky few non-residents that will get to hunt with hounds. I should still be able to help him find a bear, but now we're probably looking at weeks of hunting instead of an action packed weekend.

I am intrigued by your proposition, but I wouldn't be able to take you up on the offer for legal reasons. Hopefully the following gives you an idea of how to determine if swap hunts are legal in the states you're considering and doesn't prevent you from finding the hunt you're looking for and sharing the great opportunity that you have.
A few years ago our Pheasants Forever chapter had an offer to auction or raffle a swap hunt through a partnership with a chapter in South Dakota. Here is what I learned:
A swap hunt can be prosecuted as outfitting. In Idaho the definition of an outfitter includes: "anyone who ... maintains, leases, or otherwise uses equipment or accommodations for compensation... for hunting animals or birds..." The sticky word in that is compensation.
There is no problem with someone inviting you on a hunting trip with no strings attached, but if there is an agreement for you to return the service it could be considered as a form of compensation.

So in Idaho if a private landowner charges a trespass fee to hunt his/her propety and is not a registered/licensed outfitter with the state be breaking the law as they are being compensated for hunting?

No, you answered your own question.

They're being charged to trespass, not hunt.

Thanks for clarifying.

Seems like charging a trophy fee would be accepting money for a hunt as it includes compensation for a dead animal and could be looked upon differently in a state like Idaho.

I dont think its legal to charge a trophy fee based on the killing of an animal unless you are an outfitter.

I know of a ranch in Wyoming that charges a trespass fee up front, and then expects to be paid an additional fee based on the size of the animal. I was told this by a WYG&F warden, and I asked if that was legal. He said no, but its pretty tough to catch them doing it.

I also asked what would happen if a hunter refused to pay the additional fee...absolutely nothing. The worse thing they could do is just let you hunt again. You paid the trespass fee and its against the law to charge a trophy fee.

I'm tempted to pay the trespass fee on that ranch, kill the best buck on the place, then when asked for the additional $$$ tell them to pound sand. Nothing they can legally do, in fact, they'd be admitting to breaking the law if they tried to pursue it.

No, you answered your own question.

They're being charged to trespass, not hunt.

Buzz: If what you say is true and I have know doubt, then why cann't person "A" in wisconsin charge a tresspass fee and person "B" in Idaho charge a tresspass fee... just like the ranchers. Total tresspass fee would be $1 each way?

good luck to all
the dog

For a hound hunt distance dont really matter. WV isnt that far,lol You want to hunt in Iowa?

I've got a great hook up with a group of hounds men that put a lot of bears in trees. Pot luck on size when it's your turn to be the shooter though. You may have 150 pounder in a tree or it could be a 450 pounder.

Killing a bear of any size behind hounds would just be icing on the cake!! I am game for a swap if you are. Just tell me what you're looking for. I posted some pics on my profile.

Bears with hounds and Iowa pheasants. Sounds like a win win to me. Wish I could I help sounds like a plan.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back