PEAX Equipment

SW Montana Fishing and Camping

Northwoods Labs

Okay, so we are likely going to be camping and fishing in the Taylor Fork area in August. I've been there 3 times before, but it has been a few years. For anyone that lives in the area, how are the crowds? I know in northern Wisconsin it is nuts because so many events, festivals, etc have been cancelled. The amount of people camping and at their cabins is crazy.

Also, a camping question. We usually drive straight through from Wisconsin, but on this trip we might camp one night on the way out. This would likely be around Miles City or Forsyth. I see there is a "rosebud east campground" along the Yellowstone in Forsyth. Is this a decent spot? Personally, I would drive straight through but the others I am going with may not be thrilled with that idea.

What Hem stated. My family and I came home through Yellowstone Park, up and over the Beartooth Pass and then home. I heard the Park was not as busy (Bull$hit) and the Pass had a lot of traffic. Then again, the road from Tower Junction to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is/was closed. The mountain goats are out on the Pass (must have seen 30 mtn. goats). Saw on small black bear in the Park and a lot of elk and buffalo.

A little out of your way (Forsyth - Colstrip - Lame Deer - Busby - Tongue River Reservoir). Go, back to Busby, turn left to (west) and go to the Interstate then north to Billings and onto Bozeman - Taylor Fork. Good fishing and a lot of camping spots (reserve a spot today). Just an idea.

Its been a couple of years since I've been up Taylor Fork and although there are many dispersed camping spots along the creek, I don't remember any developed campgrounds. I also wouldn't rate the fishing as "Good" near the established camping spots.

Okay, so we are likely going to be camping and fishing in the Taylor Fork area in August. I've been there 3 times before, but it has been a few years. For anyone that lives in the area, how are the crowds? I know in northern Wisconsin it is nuts because so many events, festivals, etc have been cancelled. The amount of people camping and at their cabins is crazy.

Also, a camping question. We usually drive straight through from Wisconsin, but on this trip we might camp one night on the way out. This would likely be around Miles City or Forsyth. I see there is a "rosebud east campground" along the Yellowstone in Forsyth. Is this a decent spot? Personally, I would drive straight through but the others I am going with may not be thrilled with that idea.
There's a dude ranch up Taylor Fork, the Nine-Quarter-Circle, but otherwise no organized campgrounds. So if you find a secluded spot by a creek, you'll likely find peace. But be very bear aware, as that is a mecca area for griz nowadays.

I've stayed at the campground along the Yellowstone across from Forsyth. It has trees, is right on the river, but will likely be hot and muggy in August. If you don't mind stopping a little sooner, the Makoshika State Park near Glendive is really nice. There is an interpretive center there and amazing geology and landscapes right out of the dinosaur era. If you spend a day there hiking and looking around, I guarantee you won't regret it. Or if you want a real adventure, cross the Yellowstone on the rickety old train trestle west of Terry and drive up the rugged (high clearance vehicle) Calypso Trail into the Terry Badlands Wilderness Study Area. You probably won't see anyone else other than antelope and your immediate family with you. Take water with you.

We are going to be in the general vicinity next week - I'll let you know what we see.

I can tell you that Colorado's outdoors has been crazy busy the last 2-3 weeks. Looks like a holiday weekend every weekend and many roads and trails are still blocked with winter deadfall, etc (pandemic notwithstanding, it's still June and that's not abnormal in a lot of places in June. I imagine a lot of seasonal FS positions went unfilled this year also), so people are also being concentrated - which it seems is the case up there also.

There's a dude ranch up Taylor Fork, the Nine-Quarter-Circle, but otherwise no organized campgrounds. So if you find a secluded spot by a creek, you'll likely find peace. But be very bear aware, as that is a mecca area for griz nowadays.

I've stayed at the campground along the Yellowstone across from Forsyth. It has trees, is right on the river, but will likely be hot and muggy in August. If you don't mind stopping a little sooner, the Makoshika State Park near Glendive is really nice. There is an interpretive center there and amazing geology and landscapes right out of the dinosaur era. If you spend a day there hiking and looking around, I guarantee you won't regret it. Or if you want a real adventure, cross the Yellowstone on the rickety old train trestle west of Terry and drive up the rugged (high clearance vehicle) Calypso Trail into the Terry Badlands Wilderness Study Area. You probably won't see anyone else other than antelope and your immediate family with you. Take water with you.

Thank you. Yea, the campsites along the creek is where we go, strikes a balance between being undeveloped, yet still vehicle accessible so the girls can easily do the "touristy stuff". We are aware of the bears, seems everyone we run into has seen them in that area, but we haven't yet

Forgot about that state park by Glendive, might have to check that out

We are going to be in the general vicinity next week - I'll let you know what we see.

I can tell you that Colorado's outdoors has been crazy busy the last 2-3 weeks. Looks like a holiday weekend every weekend and many roads and trails are still blocked with winter deadfall, etc (pandemic notwithstanding, it's still June and that's not abnormal in a lot of places in June. I imagine a lot of seasonal FS positions went unfilled this year also), so people are also being concentrated - which it seems is the case up there also.

Thanks!

Yea, I live in "cabin country" and it seems like tons of folks have just moved into their lake homes/cabins for the summer

Bump.

Anyone been this way? Called the Forest Service, they said the actual campgrounds were very busy, but had no idea about the pullout sites along the Taylor Fork. We will be heading that way next week, hopefully get some cutthroats and see some wildlife

Bump.

Anyone been this way? Called the Forest Service, they said the actual campgrounds were very busy, but had no idea about the pullout sites along the Taylor Fork. We will be heading that way next week, hopefully get some cutthroats and see some wildlife
We were on the other side of the Madison range from the Taylor Fork area a few weeks ago. Campgrounds along the river were packed. Further south, Island Park looked like spring break when we drove through. However - when Sunday came and it commenced to rain for 3 days straight (likely both of those things made people 'disperse' a little), the campers cleared out. Even YNP was tolerable the day we drove over there in the squalls.

I would, however, still anticipate higher-than-normal crowd levels. We made a wide loop (Denver->Ennis->Ketchum->Park City) and every one of those places was more crowded than 'normal' (it was also the week leading up to the 4th, though).

Here in CO - the dispersed areas are definitely more full than normal. Anecdotally - I think the fire restrictions (several places have gone to stage 2 down here) are starting to keep some people home.

TF gets plenty of use. Don’t expect to be the only ones camping up there on the weekends. Place is a shot show during archery..

Only the large campgrounds are open in Yellowstone Park, so nearby camping is being hammered this summer. Also RV dealers are reporting record sales and there are a seemingly much greater number of campers on the road in Montana.

People seem to be escaping to the outdoors and it's crazy out there ... at least in some areas.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back