Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Suspend Pittman-Robertson Federal Excise Tax?

Oak

Expert
Saw this today. Apologies if it has already been posted. Thoughts?
The COVID-19 pandemic is having a negative impact on the nation's economy, including conservation organizations, the broad outdoor hunting and fishing industry, and more specifically, the archery industry. Undeniably, all forms of relief are needed. The Pope and Young Club (P&Y) is joining the Archery Trade Association (ATA) in supporting a deferment of Federal Excise Tax (FET) payments on archery equipment.

ATA submitted a formal request to the U.S. Department of Treasury on March 27, 2020 asking that they implement a temporary FET deferral during this pandemic. A deferral of the 11% federal excise tax on bows and archery equipment, as well as the $0.54 tax on arrow shafts, would make a significant difference to manufacturing companies and the archery industry across the U.S. While P&Y is a vocal supporter of the Pittman-Robertson Act and the excise taxes on hunting equipment that fund significant conservation projects across the country, current circumstances require drastic measures to ensure that our outdoor product manufacturers are able to keep their doors open.

Unlike most other industries, the archery, firearms and sportfishing industries are subject to a 10-11% federal excise tax on related equipment. The firearms industry has been granted a 90-day deferral of this FET by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the American Sportfishing Association and Archery Trade Association and its respective members are requesting similar treatment. A delay in the FET payment is needed to support struggling businesses whose revenues have taken a significant hit due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

While the decision on whether to move forward with this deferral will be made by the U.S. Department of Treasury, getting in touch with your federal lawmakers is a great intermediate step. Lawmakers may be willing to weigh in on your behalf by asking for a temporary exemption for the benefit of the archery industry. You can visit the NDA (National Deer Alliance) Grassroots Advocacy Center, where you can directly email your U.S. Senators and Congressional Representatives and ask for their support for the archery industry during these incredibly challenging times.
https://account.votility.com/enterprise/NDA/ec/749

If they defer remittance of these amounts, is the US Government going to print enough money to allow for distribution to the states according to what would have normally happened? Or are states going to be told to suck it up until these deferred payments eventually come in and can then be redistributed?

If it is the latter, states are screwed.

I don’t like it. I don’t like it for archery gear and I don’t like it for guns. I didn’t like it when Senators proposed suspending royalty payments for coal either. Gut through the pain just like all Americans are being asked to do

I can see both sides here, but I don’t think I like this.

Guns and archery equipment are niceties. We are not talking about food or fuel here. I totally get that that doesn’t matter to people working in those industries, who are struggling to make a bottom line and are concerned about their jobs tomorrow.

Whether a can gets kicked down the road or not, someone eventually has to pick it up.

They going to slash prices during the suspension if it’s granted?

I don’t like it at all

They going to slash prices during the suspension if it’s granted?

I don’t like it at all
I think the implied intent is for them to quit paying the excise tax in effort to enlarge their profit margin. So I wouldn’t expect a price cut on the consumer end.

This would be a bad precedent. Wasn’t PR written and passed during the Great Depression? If folks during that time could not only get through it, but actually pass legislation that makes a financial sacrifice for the benefit of wildlife and wild places, seems like we could suck it up and keep that legacy alive, come what may.

Wasn’t PR written and passed during the Great Depression?
Edit>>> for more detail.
Fours years after the end of the depression ('33), P&R was created and passed (Sept '37).
Representative Charles D. Millard of New York even compared it to the New Deal’s effect on America’s booming infrastructure: “It is fundamentally sound,” said Millard, “and will do for the wildlife of America what the Federal-aid program has done for the highway system of our Nation.”

Last edited:
This is terrible. The tax is there and has been for 80 years. Leave it alone. Don't mess with it. Don't even consider it a variable that can be changed. This is not a good path. It will hurt wildlife, hunters and state agencies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back