Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Surplus Tents ??? your thoughts ...

TXJON

hi all, looking at tents for the day when I get to take a nice hunting trip and need a place to stay. Spent time in the service and stayed in a few tents bought by Uncle Sam, and never really had trouble come rain nor snow.
Wondering if anyone uses surplus for camping?

TXJON while i dont, i wouldn't hesitate one second buying surplus. As you know Gov. issue stuff has come a long way in the last few years.I think we will see more equipment dumped on the civilian market as things wind down in the middle east. Just make sure that what you buy can be repurposed to fit your needs.

Some of the new stuff (Aluminum poles and coated cavas) is pretty awesome. Alot less bulky, lighter weight, ect. I would buy one in a second.

The older stuff canvas wood poles is still good, but is really bulky and heavy.

Try searching for one of these terms: Tent, General Purpose, Small / Tent, General Purpose, Squad / Tent, Air Assault

I have a GP-Small with two vestibules I've used for a few elk hunts in Colorado. It's heavy and a little time consuming to put up but once done its comfortable, easy to heat and has more than enough room for 4 or 5 guys. I've used it in high wind, rain and snow and never had an issue.

hate to make this public, though in the spirit of Randy's shows encouraging national viewership to...eh, hunt Colorado as montana is all wolfed out - no deer or elk :) , check out GSA Auctions ( http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/ ). I have purchased many items as it covers about every seized to recycled item of the gov't. From the DEA miami vice speed boats to Forest service... welding units.

A friend saw a listing photo showing a pallet of 4 or 5 military wall tents on a pallet. put in a bid (turned highest somewhere around $200) and I traveled with him to another state to pick it up... we got there and the guy said, how the hell you going to load them in that truck? we said a palet of 4 or 5 tent? He laughed and said... oh no, 5 pallets of 5 tents and the framing!

Our eyes lit as we saw $$$ and quickly said we would be right back, got a uhaul trailer and loaded down e-bay became our friend...

Army Navy stores try and keep this site secret as it is a main supplier for what you buy...

I use one of their 5 man arctic tents. It does alright. I wouldn't want to share it with more than one other person though.

Arctic 5 man...

Thats the tent i've been looking for as a home away from home....seems like it would make a nice camp for like you say two people...

Surplus Tents

TXJON...I also have a GP Small with two vestibules.....plenty of room for 3 hunters with a center table, a kitchen area, wood stove and wood storage. Only thing that I will change is to cut a window or two into one of the vestubules and one into the main tent for light. Hope this helps...Monty

I was able to pick up a modular command post tent this summer. It's 11x11, easy to set up, a nice camp for 2-3 guys. It has the internal aluminum frame and is self supporting. It's also modular so you can expand it for a larger group. I was able to pick up the tent and frame from a surplus dealer for $300. I don't think I could find a comparable set up for twice that. I use a military m101 trailer to haul my whole camp kit. The set up is not really packable, but is good for about anywhere you can get a 4x4.

I have hunted with some friends who have a 16x16 frame tent, it was really roomy and comfortable for 4 guys. It's a little large and cumbersome to set up with two guys, but if you always hunt in a larger group they are great.

I use one of these standing room tents. Sets up in about 5 min. Warm (I use a Big Buddy Heater) and relatively cheap. About $139.
tent2a.jpg

Brothers wife picked him up a 10X20 that we have used for the last two years through rain, snow, wind storms and has not let us down for the paultry some of $75. Has a really good rain fly, take the chill off at night with our Buddy heater and then fire it in the morning again. Still have my canvas under my patio trying to dry out, but to no avail with wind blowing rain sideways today.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back