Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Suppressor question - probably a dumb one

rogerthat

So I have one suppressor for about 5 threaded guns. Obviously the suppressor moves the poi vs not having it on? Is this movement consistent? Once they are sighted in with the can on, can I just move it between guns? Would I just be able to dial between sight ins if I record the poi change? What’s everyone’s experience? Does the amount of torque the suppressor is screwed on with affect poi? Thanks for any info.

Obviously it’s always a good idea to check zero before hunting so I would do that. Just curious what to expect.

My experience is with cans and adapters. Yes, sight in with the can and the POI seems to be very consistent. However, the adapter is torqued to spec and epoxied in place.

With a spin on can, I would think if you are torquing to spec the POI should be very consistent.

The poi shift if consistent for me with a thread on. I have paint marks on both the barrel and can to make sure it is lined up.
This is a thread on as well. I was thinking of doing that as well. I will do that now to ensure the same torque/position each time. Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a great excuse to buy a couple more suppressors! :);)

All my suppressors are direct thread and the POI does not change if the suppressor is removed, shot on another rifle, then reinstalled on the original. The POI with the suppressor on vs off does change and is a bit different for each rifle. Barrel length, profile, projectile etc likely play roles in each rifle.

From my experience (I have 14 cans), the shift is fairly repeatable, but I have a hard time trusting it. For my hunting rifles, I leave cans fairly dedicated, and if I've removed one I always confirm zero before hunting. Lots of people like direct thread, but I much prefer a taper mount for repeatability and universal mounting.

My left ear has taken a beating this year… good info when considering a can.

So say your like @rogerthat, where you have multiple rifles of the same caliber, but only 1 suppressor.
Do you have to file with ATF to buy another for the same caliber?
Say you end up not really caring for the 1 you purchased, and want to try a different brand? File again?

So say your like @rogerthat, where you have multiple rifles of the same caliber, but only 1 suppressor.
Say you end up not really caring for the 1 you purchased, and want to try a different brand? File again?
Yep

Yup. The tax stamp is for the specific serial number.

You got me confused on what you are buying more of, rifles or cans. The answer is you need one stamp for each can.

You're pretty much stuck with any can you buy. The secondary market is almost non-existent, except for rare or historical cans. This is because you have to pay two $200 fees to get it to another person, unless they are in the same state as you. You can try as many as you want, but you'll go through the whole application, taxation, approval process each time. Sometimes big dealers will have demo days or demo cans you can test out, or seek out people near you who will let you check out their cans before you buy.

You got me confused on what you are buying more of, rifles or cans. The answer is you need one stamp for each can.
Suppressors.
As in say i have 5 different 1911s that happen to have threaded barrels. All in 45 ACP.

Thanks all for your responses!

Suppressors.
As in say i have 5 different 1911s that happen to have threaded barrels. All in 45 ACP.

Thanks all for your responses!
Pistol cans are really a different animal from rifle cans. They way they mount and work is very different, and swapping them around on multiple handguns is not a big deal. Personally, I’m not that into suppressed handguns, it’s never lived up to what I thought it would be, whereas rifles always have. Suppressed 22 is really the gateway drug, and the one that I shoot the most by far.

Just got my Banish 30 last week and didn't have time to try it on the Howa Superlite and glad I didn't just thread it on and try to shoot a buck. Shot it yesterday at 200yds, missed the target completely, light barrel and add a bunch of weight at the end = poi change for sure. Glad to know that it can be generally repeatable with/without the suppressor. I was impressed with the amount of recoil reduction in the 5.5# rifle.

Mine was 4 moa lower with the suppressor on. That’s a bit more than I expected

My first 30 cal can was a heavy pig, and I put it on a Savage LR (I’d even had it cut to 20” to try and stiffen the barrel a little), and man I couldn’t get that thing to group, never mind the insane POI shift. It was just a bad combo, I had a light can and a Proof barrel for the next season, minimal shift and consistent groups from there on out.

threaded muzzle brake, i have listed somewhere my difference with and without brake, load A vs load B w/ and w/out brake. i don't see why a can would be different

Back