Caribou Gear Tarp

Suppressor Experience

Have a good friend that put an 8" suppressor on his Christensen Ridgeline 300WM last summer. Made the total length 34". Not sure what brand though and I'll try to find out. The gun shot fantastic all summer and fall. This winter though as it's gotten colder, he's missed a few shots on wolves that should have been easy shots. What he's found out in cold weather with this set up is the first shot (250 zero) is 4" high, second shot 2" high, then back dead on shots three and four. After four rounds of four shot groups, it was the same. Cold barrel shot is 4" high. Fairly perplexing and must be how the gasses disperse?
I think he’s got something else going on. I’ve killed coyotes at 60 degrees and -20 degrees this year with zero poi change

Have a good friend that put an 8" suppressor on his Christensen Ridgeline 300WM last summer. Made the total length 34". Not sure what brand though and I'll try to find out. The gun shot fantastic all summer and fall. This winter though as it's gotten colder, he's missed a few shots on wolves that should have been easy shots. What he's found out in cold weather with this set up is the first shot (250 zero) is 4" high, second shot 2" high, then back dead on shots three and four. After four rounds of four shot groups, it was the same. Cold barrel shot is 4" high. Fairly perplexing and must be how the gasses disperse?

And with suppressor off?

I use a brake- mounted silencerco Omega on my rifles that are .30 or less and I love it. I bought it specifically for recoil reduction for a kid and it works wonders. I don’t understand how a brake works inside a suppressor but it certainly does. It is heavier than direct thread but definitely gives ample recoil reduction on a 7mm-08 making to peasant for a 100lb kid to shoot easily, pleasantly, and accurately.

I put a deadair nomad ti on a browning xbolt 300 wsm (cut barrel to 21"). Absolutely Love it. Not sure if it was low expectations or the reduced sound or a combo of both, but the perceived recoil reduction is substantial.

Does your Lane leak at the tube/rear cap? I have one and it leaks so bad I can feel the gas on my right hand and face.
I've got 3 of them and none of them leak. Get ahold of Cory at Lane. I'll about guarantee he will fix the problem for you.

Banish 30 on everything with a banish backcountry on order. After shooting with a can I no longer enjoy shooting without one. I run shorter barrels to make handling easier. I’ll give up the velocity
How much shorter do you go and how much velocity difference do you see? I have two rifles with 24” barrel that I want to thread when I get my Banish 30. Was considering shortening one of them up.

The common number thrown around is that you'll lose roughly 25fps per inch of barrel. I haven't cut down any barrels but this jives with my experience on some shorter barrels (18"-20") with .260 Rem, .243 Win, and 6.5 creed.

How much shorter do you go and how much velocity difference do you see? I have two rifles with 24” barrel that I want to thread when I get my Banish 30. Was considering shortening one of them up.
Depends on the cartridge

On hunting rifles I've been using a ThunderBeast Ultra 5 on my 300 RUM and an Ultra 7 on both a 6.5 SAUM and a 7 SAUM. The Ultra 7 as well as a Griffin Armament can are used on some target/competition rifles. IMO, brakes are better at total recoil reduction, but sound suppression is very important to me as well. The suppressor does very well at recoil reduction and obviously the brake adds significant volume, so for me it's a suppressor every time.
60percent-100percent.jpg

Just to advise, make sure you remove the 'silencer' from the rifle after use, otherwise the crown will be ruined in a short period of time

Good to know. I’m guessing you’d recommend going 20” vs 22”?
20” is as long as I personally like on a suppressed rifle for how I carry a rifle. I use a kifaru gunbearer and anything longer than than 20” plus suppressor screwed on is to much in my headlamps way when hiking in the dark and it drives me nuts.

Went through all the trouble to get one for a .22 pistol and am very un-impressed by the thing.
It's not nearly as quiet as I would have expected, even using the subsonic ammo.

Won't waste the $$ on another one.

I’ve loved mine. I bought a Banish 30 and 30 gold. Reduces recoil and sound. Recoil to me “feels” the same as a brake. I got mine Early February. I’ve shot them for fun just to see what they sound like with my different rifles. They are a kick. I did multiple shots with ear muffs and then with out.

For Hunting I won’t take ear plugs anymore. Now I have to figure out impact changes once it gets a little better weather. Definitely adds a bunch of length. That’s the next thing to figure out.

Shooting 7mm rem mag, 300 weatherby, 30-378 weatherby, and 6.8 western, I love how much less noise there is with the 30-378. I giggled like a little kid with the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back