Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

super tags

A buddy of mine's little brother (14 at the time) drew the Idaho elk and antelope supertag in the same year...then...the next year the same kid drew the Idaho deer supertag as well as the premier antelope tag in the state. Each year they had only bought a couple raffle tickets.

It was a busy fall and they overwhelmed themselves by wanting to make hay with the tags, but they sure had a lot of fun hunting most of the premier hunts in southern Idaho. This was in 08' and 09' I believe.

You don't have to draw the superhunt tag to be a winner. I harvested this buck on an Access Yes property that is funded by superhunt sales.

I later discovered that I had parked right next to a guy who was packing out a moose that will easily make the books. That other guy turned out to be the landowner. He said was willing to open the property to the public and be just another hunter among us. Why? Because the Access Yes program helps him manage and improve his property. I was even more impressed that he and a friend hauled all that meat out on their backs. There were old logging roads through the property, but they are all gated and posted with "walk-in area" signs. As the landowner he had every right to open the gate and drive right up to his moose.

The opportunity to hunt properties like this are plenty of reason to "donate" to the superhunts.

Attachments

• 2011MuleDeer.jpg
    2011MuleDeer.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 602
You don't have to draw the superhunt tag to be a winner. I harvested this buck on an Access Yes property that is funded by superhunt sales.

I later discovered that I had parked right next to a guy who was packing out a moose that will easily make the books. That other guy turned out to be the landowner. He said was willing to open the property to the public and be just another hunter among us. Why? Because the Access Yes program helps him manage and improve his property. I was even more impressed that he and a friend hauled all that meat out on their backs. There were old logging roads through the property, but they are all gated and posted with "walk-in area" signs. As the landowner he had every right to open the gate and drive right up to his moose.

The opportunity to hunt properties like this are plenty of reason to "donate" to the superhunts.

Gotta love Idaho, good to see fellow residents on here! Is that a OTC buck?

I buy them for sheep and elk every year. I won the first elk super tag back in 2006. Beat 17,000 to 1 odds, I did the best I could with it, being a NR made it challenging. I did spend part of three seasons in MT, archery, reg gun season and the late migration hunt out of Gardiner which was the goal I set for myself.
Wasn't so concerned about inches but more focused on the experience. Wound up taking a 330ish bull in mid January. If I had to do it again I'd do it the same way but I think they eliminated the late hunt because of the wolves decimating the Yellowstone herd.

jd

I am one of this year's winners. After an early Oct elk hunt, unfortunately it's still in my pocket. I refused to shoot a spike. Stationed down in So Cal so it's been hard to get back but I might try and get up to Unit 46 during the holidays. I called IDFG to see if I could give it to someone and they said no. Anyway, keep applying. This was my first year trying AZ and ID and I won the elk in ID. There were 8 elk winners in 12,000 - so yes, better than the Lotto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back