Suggestions on drop camp outfitters in the bob

Of course on outfitters sites the reviews are all positive. I’m curious about anyone’s personal experience with outfitters working in the bob.

thank you

If you want to spend money on a nice trail ride, go to the Bob! If you want to see elk stay the hell out of the Bob. Look at success rates and you will see that they are nonexistent. The Bob was world class 20 years ago. Between wolves and lack of vegetation, the elk numbers are minimal. Best thing for the Bob would be a forest fire and allow the food supply to come back, creating a world class herd in 25 years.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. There have been a number of very large scale burns in the Bob in the last 15 years. Probably the best thing for the elk would be not shooting them with rifles for 11 weeks.
Yep... Compared to what I was used to in Montana my first Wyoming general elk hunt was an eye opening experience. Felt like I was getting away with something illegal.

Not looking to argue, just opinion relative to JLS. Wolves are a shit storm in there though. I don't disagree w/ Oldbig with that point.

They're in there - tough to get to though I've come across them... Not as much as I've come across wolves though maybe I'm a magnet for them. 😆

As for the opening post, I'll see if I can find @Ben Long 's thread. He had an outfitter pack them in.

I hunted 150 in 2019. Six hunters in camp. Most very experienced hunters. We killed 3 bulls. We worked and suffered. I got a bull in the 330-340 inch range. Totally impossible without horses IMO. We hired Wilderness Lodge Outfitters, who earned every penny. It was a great wilderness experience but if your definition of success depends on seeing lots of elk, there are easier units. If your success is based on big wild country, being out among wolves and bears, and having an adventure, it's your huckleberry. I'll take this day to the grave with me.

View attachment 130414

Last edited:
Not looking to argue, just opinion relative to JLS. Wolves are a shit storm in there though. I don't disagree w/ Oldbig with that point.
No argument. It's simply disingenuous to think wolves don't have a certain level of population impact. The first time I went into the Bob was 1999. The amount of acreage that has since burned is staggering. There are some areas where I would wholeheartedly agree forest succession and lack of wildfire was a limiting factor. The Bob is not one of them.

Fwp shows a 17% success rate or so, hunters vs bulls down, reported hunters. Not trying to open a can of worms...family friends came out with elk 2019...DIY. Elk are in there.

Thank you for the recommendations. It is an experience that I want, successful or not. There is a felt difference between a hunt and a hike even though sometimes a hunt ends like a hike.

I've not hunted with him, but Ron Mills runs a good operation, and will get you in the heart of the White River country. In my humble opinion, that part of the Bob is the most spectacular and will give you a true wilderness experience. The country Ben Long hunted is just north of there, and is equally as spectacular.

I've not hunted with him, but Ron Mills runs a good operation, and will get you in the heart of the White River country. In my humble opinion, that part of the Bob is the most spectacular and will give you a true wilderness experience. The country Ben Long hunted is just north of there, and is equally as spectacular.

Funny, I sent MTelkSlayer a PM with Mills Wilderness as a recommendation. They are a well respected operation around here.

Fwp shows a 17% success rate or so, hunters vs bulls down, reported hunters. Not trying to open a can of worms...family friends came out with elk 2019...DIY. Elk are in there.

I don’t think it is mandatory reporting...

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. There have been a number of very large scale burns in the Bob in the last 15 years. Probably the best thing for the elk would be not shooting them with rifles for 11 weeks.
We get told to stay home a few weeks and we lose our minds. 11 weeks in a row with attackers with guns would be rough 😂 that’s a long season.

Not trying to pile on anyone, but if you were wondering how much fire the Bob has seen recently. HD 150 and 442 are highlighted, the middle spot is the Game Preserve.

1588194407680.png

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back