Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Suggestions for hand priming tool

Laelkhunter

Looking at buying a hand priming tool. RCBS, Hornady, or Lee mostly. RCBS uses the shell holders already on hand, but open to suggestions on which you have found most reliable or which ones to stay away from. Thanks

I've got the RCBS hand priming tool and have used it for about 8-9 years. It needs a little bit of maintenance now and then, but has been a steady piece of equipment for all priming needs except a couple of odd-ball cartridges.

I just looked up the Lee hand priming tool on midway and I see the new version is different than the one I've had for 20+ years. Some of the reviews aren't good. So I guess my recommendation of the Lee is no longer valid. Mine has been great. Too bad they tried to "improve" it. I will say my brother's RCBS works great especially if you don't have a need to ever change to a different size shell holder.

I've not found changing the shellholder on the RCBS hand primer to be much of a detriment to the design. It's 20 - 30 seconds to change shell holders and if you're priming pistol, that little break isn't a bad thing anyway to reset your mind to a new cartridge. Other mileage may vary. I'll do large batch priming for pistol rounds and tend to keep rifle rounds to small batches under 50.

I've not found changing the shellholder on the RCBS hand primer to be much of a detriment to the design. It's 20 - 30 seconds to change shell holders and if you're priming pistol, that little break isn't a bad thing anyway to reset your mind to a new cartridge. Other mileage may vary. I'll do large batch priming for pistol rounds and tend to keep rifle rounds to small batches under 50.

If you read the reviews on midway you'll see that changing shell holders is one of the biggest complaints, same issue that my brother has with his. Maybe you got lucky and yours may go back together more easily.

I plan on using it only for .340 Weatherby, so I will set it and forget it. Some of the negative reviews I read concerned problems with small pistol primers. Since I am only going to use Large Rifle primers, I hope to minimize complications.

If you have trouble changing shell holders with the RCBS, maybe handloading isn't for you. mtmuley

If you read the reviews on midway you'll see that changing shell holders is one of the biggest complaints, same issue that my brother has with his. Maybe you got lucky and yours may go back together more easily.

It takes a little getting used too, but the only real issues I've had are when priming 500+ cases using Small Pistol. Some of them get hung up if you're not paying attention. I really need to get a progressive and knock off the single-stage pistol reloading.

I've never had an issue with my RCBS hand tool, other than it doesn't keep my beer cold.

First priming tool I ever bought was the RCBS and I have never had the desire to look if there was something better out there. Very simple and effective.

If you have trouble changing shell holders with the RCBS, maybe handloading isn't for you. mtmuley

I've been reloading for over 30 years. It is for me. But, I don't own the RCBS priming tool, my brother does. It's not a big deal if you only have to change the shell holder one time, but one day we were loading different cartridges and having to switch it back and forth many times. It's a bit complicated and takes extra time. My Lee tool doesn't have that issue. But, like I said, it's not made anymore. Just trying to help here, and share my experience. No need to throw out insults. I didn't see you offer up any advice.

I have used the RCBS priming tool for over 40 years and don't have any problem changing shell holders

If yours is that old it's probably not the one that has that issue. As I said there are lots of reviews on Midway from guys who have the exact same problem we had with it.

Here's one of the reviews:

This tool came in a Rock Chuck Supreme kit. Almost all of my other reloading equipment is RCBS, so I am a big fan of their products. This product however is awful. Just to change shell holders you must disassemble the device to a point where springs and parts go flying in opposite directions. Don't throw away your instructions, because you will need to reassemble this thing every time you change shell holders. Once assembled, don't tip it upside down, and the primer seating pushpin will fall out. What a disaster. If I had purchased this as not part of a bundle, I would have sent it back.
Was this review helpful? Yes / No - You may also flag this review

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/329291/rcbs-hand-priming-tool

I've been reloading for over 30 years. It is for me. But, I don't own the RCBS priming tool, my brother does. It's not a big deal if you only have to change the shell holder one time, but one day we were loading different cartridges and having to switch it back and forth many times. It's a bit complicated and takes extra time. My Lee tool doesn't have that issue. But, like I said, it's not made anymore. Just trying to help here, and share my experience. No need to throw out insults. I didn't see you offer up any advice.

Wasn't meant as an insult. The thing doesn't have to be fully disassembled. It really isn't complicated at all. I can change shellholders in about 30 seconds. mtmuley

Wasn't meant as an insult. The thing doesn't have to be fully disassembled. It really isn't complicated at all. I can change shellholders in about 30 seconds. mtmuley

Okay, well all I know is it was a hassle for us the one day my brother and I were reloading together, and I hadn't brought my Lee priming tool with me. It didn't help that my brother had a broken hand at the time. But again, if you look at the reviews, lots of people think it's unnecessarily complicated. Who knows, maybe yours is different and goes back together easily. This one did not. But the solution is simple it seems- spend a few more dollars and get the RCBS "universal" tool. No shell holders required. That's the one I would get. But I have my 20 year old Lee, and I expect it will last me the rest of my life.

I have had 2 lee's, they wear out over time.

Had the first one for maybe 15-20 years before it broke, the second one is about that old now too and still going strong. It is very easy to change shell holders in the Lee...if you have your reading glasses handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back