Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Suggestions for a quail gun?

R.K.

It appears I’m in the market for what I would call a quail gun, that would bring a touch of class to my outdoor activities (and some fundraiser shoots). Looking for a 20ga with a 26” barrel, wood furniture, fairly light, hopefully a semi-auto. Had my heart set on a beretta a400 upland, but I’ve read some bad reviews on them while waiting on a sale/good used buy. Dad is trying to sell me on a O/U, but I like having a third shot (since I like to miss).

Can anybody recommend something that fits the bill without making you go broke?

Why the resistance to o/u?

Theres nothing like using one in the field. The lack of action (shortening) and the balance are just nice for shooting.

Why the resistance to o/u?

Theres nothing like using one in the field. The lack of action (shortening) and the balance are just nice for shooting.
But their barrels are twisted impossibly. Much easier to sight over the top than along the side.

My new grouse gun would be ultraclassy as a quail gun. 12 gauge 2'' chambers and only 5.5 lbs. You will not run I totoo many in the field and no one will ask to borrow your ammo.

Alternatively, a nice 20 gauge like @VikingsGuy would be mighty sweet too.

Think outside the box and beyond NIB. It might change your whole life.

Winchester 59 is a classic auto from back in the day. They're cheap.

I use a CZ Bobwhite 20ga for what little I do.

If you want a semi auto, you can't go wrong with a Benelli 20 ga Montefeltro. Something a little not a lot cheaper is a Franchi affinity, nice gun(my daughter has one). I like my Montefeltro, have one in 12 gauge and 20 gauge.

Are you sure you’ll need more than 2 shots? I have very limited experience hunting quail, but my experience so far has been flushing 0-3 coveys, getting max 2 shots off on any one before they flit away forever.

For the sheer joy of using it, I vote sxs

Are you sure you’ll need more than 2 shots? I have very limited experience hunting quail, but my experience so far has been flushing 0-3 coveys, getting max 2 shots off on any one before they flit away forever.

For the sheer joy of using it, I vote sxs
Always that easy single late jumper, and for ducks and geese, on the water 3rd killing shot.67852507-a639-454d-a7b4-0d7e358831a9-1_all_882.jpg

Another vote here for the Benelli Montefeltro. Franchi also has an Affinity in 20 with blued/walnut furniture and several years ago had a pretty sweet humpback semi-auto, the 48-AL, that you might be able to find cheap on the used market.

Benelli Ethos or Montefeltro Silver are every bit as fancy as the A400 Upland

Back