Caribou Gear Tarp

Successful Montana Mule Deer

freu1chr

I wanted to thank everyone on here, for all the advice and guidance I was given for Montana mule deer. I got it don’t on the first morning of the first day of my trip on a great 3 x 3 with eye guards! I thought it was to good of a buck to pass on the first day because like randy says don’t pass on the first, with what you would shoot on the last. Public land a mile and a half in! I guess it’s time to go try and fill my wold tag! 3984BD3B-08A1-4E92-8714-D0C202C5939F.jpegFFD30AB0-24A9-4F67-86D9-5C8366126CA9.jpeg

Very nice buck!

Anyone who hunts Montana: is that a normal rack for a mule deer around there? To me it looks more like a whitetail rack than a mule deer. Here in SD they just split different from what I've seen.

Maybe a hybrid mule/whitetail?

Still very nice buck, I'm sure the pack out was awesome... haha!

Very nice buck!

Anyone who hunts Montana: is that a normal rack for a mule deer around there? To me it looks more like a whitetail rack than a mule deer. Here in SD they just split different from what I've seen.

SD: I agree. The head and body of course look very muley, but the ones I have killed all split differently. That is a unique cool looking muley though but does look more like WT that I have seen in MT, and killed in SC. BTW, freu1chr, those G2 tines are STRONG! That pack out hopefully was not too rough on you.

That is a very typical muley for Montana. We do get a lot of cross deer but it is usually way more pronounced than that.

Very nice buck!

A hybrid looks very distinctive, almost like a black tail.

Congrats on an awesome mule deer buck! I love the dark rack and forehead. My daughter shot one with a similar 3 point rack with eyeguards in western SD last year. I will try to post a pic. Another fella from out East shot a WT looking racked mule deer also in the same county as hers in SD this year. I don't believe they are necessarily cross breeds just cuz they have tines going up off the main beam vs. splits.
Image-1 (2).jpg

Very interesting! For sure a unique buck from what I'm used to seeing!

Muskeez, that side view puts it into perspective better for me, thanks for sharing.

Back