Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Success rate for Guided Stone Sheep hunts

littlebighorn

I came home empty handed from my first Stone Sheep hunt and it was guided. It seems like a fair number of guided Stone hunts are unsuccessful.
I did get a ram with another outfitter a few years later, but I'm curious about how many GUIDED Stone Sheep hunters also had to go another time, or two to get a ram. (Or gave up)
If you have been on a Guided Stone Sheep Hunt, how about reporting the results.
So I'm 1 for 2.

Last edited:
I came home empty handed on my first Stone Sheep hunt. It seems like a fair number of guided Stone hunts are unsuccessful.
I did get a ram with another outfitter a few years later, but I'm curious about how many GUIDED Stone Sheep hunters also had to go another time, or two to get a ram. (Or gave up)
If you have been on a Guided Sheep Hunt, how about reporting the results.
So I'm 1 for 2.
I’d be curious about cost to get it done also. I understand if you don’t want to disclose that. Do you get a discount on your next hunt if unsuccessful? I think I know the answer to that

Close friend of mine struck out on the first try. My buddy and his guide gave 100% on the hunt so the outfitter let him come back the next year at a discount (still very expensive) and he took a nice ram. The outfitter told him he only does that if the hunter gave 100%. In other words, you can't show up out of shape and expect to get that deal. Glad you got your ram.

I think there was a thread like this on another forum recently. I think the consensus was about 50% success rates. That's crazy odds vs cash spent, IMO. On the other hand if you can afford to go once you can probably afford to go twice. :D I can barely afford a DIY sheep hunt.

I came home empty handed from my first Stone Sheep hunt and it was guided. It seems like a fair number of guided Stone hunts are unsuccessful.
So I'm 1 for 2.

Was is full price every time? Even if unsuccessful.

Was is full price every time? Even if unsuccessful.
Some very good friends helped finance the first hunt so it was a big discount that even got me there. But that outfit did not offer a discount for another go. I went with a different outfitter for the second hunt. I really went out on a financial limb to go a second time. Moonlit flipped a house to pay for it. Most outfits I've talked to don't reduce prices if you are not successful.

Littlebighorn, thanks for the info, this might mean I am out of the guided sheep hunt experience going forward. Definitely good to hear other experiences with out having to learn myself.

I think there was a thread like this on another forum recently. I think the consensus was about 50% success rates. That's crazy odds vs cash spent, IMO. On the other hand if you can afford to go once you can probably afford to go twice. :D I can barely afford a DIY sheep hunt.
I'm so broke I can't afford to pay attention.

I hunted (elk/moose) with Stone Mountain Safaris about 10 years ago, in the sheep camp there was a guy who didn't leave camp and the guides were debating how to count him for success rates.

Apparently if your successful in the sandwich industry you can drop $40k to go camping.
Was this guy fast? Like freaky fast? Because that guy probably would just shoot it from camp

So I'm 1 for 2.
Leading from your question I’m curious what style or type of hunt were your first and second stone sheep hunt as well as who you hunted with? Reason I ask I just signed a contract to go on a stone sheep hunt. You’re welcome to PM me if you don’t feel comfortable answering these questions direct on here.

Leading from your question I’m curious what style or type of hunt were your first and second stone sheep hunt as well as who you hunted with? Reason I ask I just signed a contract to go on a stone sheep hunt. You’re welcome to PM me if you don’t feel comfortable answering these questions direct on here.
BradA,
I'm glad to answer questions but I prefer to answer specific questions through a PM. I just reached back through that channel.

Rick,

Not sure if you've looked at it, and wont provide a 'perfect' picture of thinhorn vs bighorn harvest, but the Thinhorn mgmt 'draft' was recently posted. Shows license sales of Mountain sheep (bighorn/thinhorn) and harvest numbers for thinhorns for non-residents and residents each year.

Obviously not perfect in figuring out success, but interesting read regardless.

I'm working night shifts this week but will TRY and catch up this week for a visit!!!

Rick,

Not sure if you've looked at it, and wont provide a 'perfect' picture of thinhorn vs bighorn harvest, but the Thinhorn mgmt 'draft' was recently posted. Shows license sales of Mountain sheep (bighorn/thinhorn) and harvest numbers for thinhorns for non-residents and residents each year.

Obviously not perfect in figuring out success, but interesting read regardless.

I'm working night shifts this week but will TRY and catch up this week for a visit!!!

I’m going to have to sit down and read this I was looking through it and it’s got some great information and gets me excited about my hunt !

My friend has gone on two 9 day backpack hunts. Same outfitter. Second hunt was 1/2 price due to the not seeing a single ram on the first hunt.

Second hunt was better than the first as they saw two mature rams mid-hunt, but couldn't find them again.

He has the bank account to support such fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back