Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Success rate for Guided Stone Sheep hunts

Thankfully I am 1 for 1 as there was no way I could afford another hunt.

Shot a nice ram on day 9 of a 10 day hunt and lemme tell you I was sweating it.

Happy to get it done but the prices have gone through the roof and I'll never be able to afford another Stone hunt.

Pretty hard to stomach the thought of a $50K+ hunt that yields a 50% success rate. Sitting here at a 3/4 slam, needing a stone, I think about this hunt often. The first 3 came at as cheap as they possibly can come...given a dall hunt, drew Rocky and drew Desert. Most people say I got off cheap and I should just buy a stone hunt and complete the slam. I'd LOVE to complete my slam and I think that a stone sheep hunt would be great. The one I went on as an observer was super fun....especially the fishing. We glassed 3 rams from the lake, then went up and shot one the next morning. But if it weren't for "completing my slam" I probably wouldn't even contemplate spending that kind of money for a hunt. Tough decisions...there's A LOT of good hunting that could be done over the years for the price of one stone hunt; and considering the 50% success....ouch. I think I'll just focus on my "Cheap Slam" and look to win one here in the next few years! ha ha
Fatrack, I'd love to do another Stone's hunt, but time and the river flowing negates that for me. I did end up with four sheep on the wall, a Dall's, a Desert and two Rockys, one that made the B&C awards period book (179 1/8. So I 'm not unhappy. GJ

Stone and folding mountain outfitters
You’re gonna like the area. I hunted out of two of Stone Mountains camps Testa is south of the alcan and Ram mountain camp! Are you driving to the area? I drove twice. Ram mountain area below and Testa area lower.if you want to see more of the area YouTube Stone Mountain Safaris, true magnum has a hunt and one on the Experience series with the taxidermy guy. Pm me with any questions.F4911A85-ADC3-4776-8934-0BCC22BD8FE1.jpegA8DC5762-B190-4174-8564-55423C9D8D84.jpeg

You’re gonna like the area. I hunted out of two of Stone Mountains camps Testa is south of the alcan and Ram mountain camp! Are you driving to the area? I drove twice. Ram mountain area below and Testa area lower.if you want to see more of the area YouTube Stone Mountain Safaris, true magnum has a hunt and one on the Experience series with the taxidermy guy. Pm me with any questions.View attachment 266201View attachment 266202
Sent you a pm

I went this year and was able to take a legal stone ram. There were 5 of us in camp that first week. 4 of us got a ram. 2 of the guys it was their 3rd try, 1 of whom has deep pockets and turned down legal rams on previous hunts as he was holding out for a cranker. The one guy who did not tag out hunted his tail off. He and his guide were sent to an area that hadn’t been hunted in years so it was a gamble and could have gone either way. They knew that going in and chose that over other areas with more recent success. They did see one legal ram but were unable to get to it before it disappeared. The outfitter offered for him to come back at a greatly reduced rate

Seeing rackmasters stats I feel even more thankful. I would not be able to go on this hunt again due to cost. I booked a few years ago, paying a little each year, and paid half of what people booking today are paying.

I went this year and was able to take a legal stone ram. There were 5 of us in camp that first week. 4 of us got a ram. 2 of the guys it was their 3rd try, 1 of whom has deep pockets and turned down legal rams on previous hunts as he was holding out for a cranker. The one guy who did not tag out hunted his tail off. He and his guide were sent to an area that hadn’t been hunted in years so it was a gamble and could have gone either way. They knew that going in and chose that over other areas with more recent success. They did see one legal ram but were unable to get to it before it disappeared. The outfitter offered for him to come back at a greatly reduced rate

Seeing rackmasters stats I feel even more thankful. I would not be able to go on this hunt again due to cost. I booked a few years ago, paying a little each year, and paid half of what people booking today are paying.
I'd love to see pictures and a story of your hunt. Vicarious stone sheep hunts are all most hunters will ever experience.
How about sharing WesternRookie? If nothing else PM a picture???

I know a guy who paid 60k for a 10 day hunt and came home empty.
I know a BC local who goes every year and has yet to get a shot off on a legal ram. Better off to move there if youre not rich. But even so you may not be successful.

Send me a message if you don’t mind I tried to send one to you but it wouldn’t allow me to. I had a couple questions for you.

Another issue is overbooking. Happens more than you think Our system sucks that way. They can say 100% success rate but took 15 hunters to get 12 rams. Still is 100%. Success on there quota.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back