Stupidest thing you've done reloading

I like reloading because I can get what I want, when I want it. Assuming I can get components!

I Somehow missed two cases that didn't get charged with powder while I was loading some 243s for my (at the time) 8 yr old. All goes well until 2020, when still using the same batch of 50 95gr ballistic tips I'd loaded when he was 8, he has not one, but two misfires while attempting to shoot a doe. Luckily, the third round went off and he got her. I figured they were bad primers until I got a bullet puller only to discover my dumbass didn't drop any powder into them. I'm sure there were a few back in my trapshooting days when I loaded a bunch of shotgun shells up for my dad and I. But those days were close to 20 yrs ago and don't remember anything.

I've done the no powder muzzleloader thing many many times. It definitely gets a whole lot easier to fix with a removable breech plug. Did the percussion thing a few times and it is much harder. I suppose a flinter would take a while too.

Some FFF down the nipple hole works well for obstructions. Used it to get a broken shotgun jag out of my shotgun barrel. Go slow and will likely take multiple trys

Yeah, I'd blast a cap, remove the nipple, force some powder in there and try again. Usually two times was enough. Shooting into a large wooden block in the basement. Still seemed awful loud

Well the #18 mess screen works at separating the 4350 from the 4831sc. It's not near 100% but none of the 4831sc falls thru the screen. About 70% of the 4350 will fall tru and 5% gets stuck in the mesh with the rest to large to pass thru. If I can save just 60% of the powder I'm happy. I hate wasting money. From the comments I don't feel so bad some of the story's are just down right scary and a very good reminder why it's so important to not get complacent while reloading.

Yes that is what started this thread. If you read the first post you will know what I did.

I misread the 120gr by volume of blackhorn 209 which is 84gr by weight. Measured out 120gr my weight for my brand new thompson center encore pro hunter. Well after 3 shots and running out of adjustment on my scope trying to get the bullet to go up I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I took it to a friend's house to get his opinion, he looked at the gun and said man the barrel doesn't look right at all. The first 8 inches of the receiver end was swelled up and cracked on one side almost 2 inches😳. He said what did u do double load it, I said no. So I left and went back home and looked over my loading notes and realized what I did....lucky I didn't seriously hurt and get kill myself.

I run onto this problem with 300 Blackout. I'm really not sure what causes it.

Eta... my presumption is neck tension due to converted cases. I have pulled several amd started over. It not every caes, but just a few.
Oh I 100% run the seating depth way to deep, then i smack myself…

Sold all my reloading stuff before getting transferred to Hawaii. I sure wish I had all of it back!

I ran a 6.5-06AI case into a Redding 6.5-06 competition seating die. The comp dies are supposed to be somewhat fragile, but nothing got messed up as far as I can tell so no harm no foul.

removing live primers from cases with split necks, they will go off tapping on them from the inside flash hole,,,, and they put a hurt on your fingers,,,,,,

I misread the 120gr by volume of blackhorn 209 which is 84gr by weight. Measured out 120gr my weight for my brand new thompson center encore pro hunter. Well after 3 shots and running out of adjustment on my scope trying to get the bullet to go up I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I took it to a friend's house to get his opinion, he looked at the gun and said man the barrel doesn't look right at all. The first 8 inches of the receiver end was swelled up and cracked on one side almost 2 inches😳. He said what did u do double load it, I said no. So I left and went back home and looked over my loading notes and realized what I did....lucky I didn't seriously hurt and get kill myself.
I’m shocked this doesn’t happen more often. The other thing I’ve noticed is BH is fluffy and will settle. I measured by weight 12 tubes of max charges for my buddy before a hunt. Apparently over the course of a month of moving and 20 hours of driving he noticed that they weren’t at the max charge by volume any more and decided to top them off the night before the opener. Fortunately it wasn’t enough to do damage as he had a quality ML.

I’m curious how his efforts to screen worked out?

Or did you just make lawn fertilizer out of it.

I went looking for a live primer with a hammer… I wasn’t going to put it back in the tray to load…

Man those things are LOUD when you smack them.

I went looking for a live primer with a hammer… I wasn’t going to put it back in the tray to load…

Man those things are LOUD when you smack them.
I always reload with safety glasses and hearing protection for a reason…

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back