Stupidest thing you've done reloading

Buckbrush

I was doing load development for a 270 win and a 30-06. I just got done loading imr 4350 and was loading up some H4831sc. When I went to dump the powder I emptied about 1 cup of the h4831sc into the 8lb jug of imr 4350. For the last hour I've been picking H4831out of imr4350.
And I think I've picked out enough for half a 270 case.
Pita!!

Me too with the primers. Loaded a few too long. If it doesn't go, don't force it! loaded one with no powder resulting in a bullet lodged in the barrel. Luckily, I was paying attention to the report and new something wasn't right. Tried to stick a 257weatherby into the 300 wm. It didn't go and i didn't force it. Be careful when you bring multiple calibers to the range.

I was running a Dillion progressive press for a range back when I was in college. Once you got it setup, everything was hands free except for placing the bullet on the casing and then working the lever to seat the bullet. Several times I pinched a bit of my thumb or pointer finger in between the casing and bullet. However, one time while talking to a customer I took off dang near my entire thumb print. I bled an embarrassing amount and still have a weird thumb pad.

Well after looking at h4831sc & imr 4350 under a 10x Lupe for 2hrs. I can tell you absolutely positively H4831sc has a golden green tint too it and it's shorter than imr 4350. Huh Go figure. Who would have guessed? This sucks!

I've poured the wrong powder in the wrong jug before too but luckily the jug was almost gone and it was when powder was readily available and only cost about $24/pound.

One that stands out is loading up a decent amount of 300wm rounds with 66 grains h1000 rather than 76. Luckily was using a chrono right away and after seeing the velocity of the first two shots my mistake was obvious.

One that isn't a big deal but is cuss inducing is removing the hopper on an autotrickler to change powders without closing the bottom port and dumping powder all over the bench.

Edit to add:

Run a 7 saum case through a 6.5 SAUM sizing die

Left a bunch of powder in the chargemaster hopper for over a month in the humid southeast. That powder had significantly lower velocities going forward. Never had issues doing it prior when I lived in the southwest.

Last edited:
1. Charging cases without primers, spilling powder everywhere
2. Priming and loading cases without sizing first
Yup... done that. On that day I sat down and made a step-by-step sequential list of my reloading process. It gets reviewed before the first round is loaded.
I don't reload year round and when I find a load that works I load quite a few, long. When ready to shoot I just give them a .002" nudge to avoid bullet weld and they are ready for action.
Since it may be half a year between reloading sessions I can have a tendency to get "rusty". I usually accomplish my reloading in late winter and prior to the spring/summer recreational seasons. Heck, some days I can hide my own Easter eggs, so a bit of a "refresher" review helps.

Well I just ordered some #18 mesh screen. The imr 4350 is .04 dia the H4831sc is .045 dia. The mesh is .041 don't know what the variation is in screen and all the kernels of powder. But I'm gonna try sifting it before I turn $300.00 of powder in fertilizer. Lesson learned don't have multiple cans of powder on bench. Especially when your memory is fading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back