Stuck in Afghanistan. WY Elk questions

wvushock

I am a nonresident that has relatives that live in Wyoming. My father-in-law is able to take me into the wilderness areas. I am wondering if I should put in for a general tag or try to put in for a limited quota tag.
I am not able to hunt this year for obvious reasons. I will have 3 points going into the draw for next year. I don't want to waste my points on a general tag if it means tag soup. Reason is that I don't know the hunting pressure in the areas that I want to hunt, and I also want to hunt without having to fight the army of orange. In areas with a 2-3 week season is it better to hunt after the first week. I will not have horses so everything will be on foot. For general hunts I am looking at 59, 67, and 70.
For limited quota tags I am considering 48, 51, 98. I am also wondering what people think about putting in for a difficult to draw tag and then put in for unit 97 as a second choice. Then I can keep building points for a better tag. I am a novice at hunting elk, but I have archery hunted for mule deer and antelope in WY with varying success. Any ideas.
I know it is asking alot but do people think I would be better served to hunt for elk with a rifle first or with my bow. I am a bowhunter at heart, but I am also realistic. Thanks.

I don't know much about Wyoming but how about considering plan B....that being hunting in the hills around Bozeman MT in archery season. Once you get out of your truck and go for a walk the elk seem to announce their presence with loud bugling. So you can have lots of fun chasing elk around and a nonresident tag with good odds. As far as getting an elk...that is another story. The Bozeman guys can tell you how hard that can be.

First place to look for what filled in First Choice Regular draw

Special draw

If you draw a General tag that doesn't have a LE hunt prior you may be able to hunt the Archery Season immediately prior to the Rifle Season, if you purchase an archery permit. Unit 97/98 won't let you do that unless you have the LE tag.for that season.

How far you can hunt on your own two feet will determine your success more than what unit you draw.

I don't have any advice for Wyoming for you,( I have never hunted elk there before) but I would like to thank you for your service to our great nation.

WVU - Thank you for your service.

I have no experience with any of the units you mention.

I am not sure what your budget is for tags, but if you are worried about burning your points on a general tag, go to the special elk draw and pay the extra fee, if it works in your budget. Apply for a limited permit, then make the general your second choice. You can draw the general as your second choice in the special draw, if you don't draw your first choice. Drawing it on your second choice saves your points, albeit at a price.

That price differential might not be justifiable, which if that is the case, look at some of the units that don't need max points. There are Wyoming guys here who hunt the general units a lot. Their pics show that quality bulls are there, especially if you can work around the wilderness law.

Good luck and stay safe.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back