PEAX Equipment

Stove: Pocket Rocket vs. Jetboil Flash

Devil Diver Down

Last year I borrowed my brother-in-law's pocket rocket to backpack hunt and it worked well for me, but this year I'm buying some of the items so I don't need to be on the dole.

The pros and cons I've seen are: Pocket rocket pros: cheaper for stove only, can buy a bigger pot to boil/cook in. Cons: seems like it's less stable than jetboil, since it's not 1 unit.
Jetboil pros: 1 compact unit. Cons: limited to 2 cups at a time (I eat 2 packs of oatmeal and 1 hot chocolate for breakfast), and I've read about problems with the lid melting.

Which do you all think is better and, more importantly, why?

my Jetboil holds more than 2 cups. Everything is contained in one container which is a nice feature. Never had a problem with the lid melting but then again, never put it on the pot when I had the fire on.

I like my jetboil quite a bit. Not the smallest or lightest stove on the market, but has some crazy fast boil times. I've not experienced any lid melting with it. They are also starting to make some more accesories that let it do more than just boil water.

i like my jetboil but Ive never used anything else...seems like a good idea to me to all have in 1 unit

I got the pocket rocket a couple yrs ago, I felt it wasnt very stable so I bought a clip on set of legs that the fuel canister sits on. Widens out the stand area and really helped... doesn't take long to boil a good sized bowl of water, and I've cooked anything from bacon to fresh trout over mine. Love it and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

+1 on the Jetboil...I love the fact that it is self contained and the fact that when in use, all parts are screwed together making it very stable regardless of the terrain it's sitting on.

Went in for a night into the Crazies last summer with a friend to bag a particular peak.He brought his JetBoil,my first exposure to the item.It was impressive for all of the above reasons.I disliked the overall size though and question packing something that size and weight.It boiled water almost instantly,it seemed.So by no means am I trying to hyjack here but has anyone ever considered the alchohol /coke can stoves seen on some alternative sites.I bought one last year from a cool site,....I'll never use anything else again.For $1.30 I can cook for 5 days,two meals a day,using HEAT from the automotive store.The stove is simply the lower half of a aluminum can doubled over .Mine will boil two cups of water at 9500 ft. in 3-4 minutes.I do use a wind foil.It weighs next to nothing .Its so self contained ,the stove,fuel, lighter,wind foil fits in a 4' x 6' pan with lid.I take it skiing,climbing,fishing,hunting.The best quality is NOTHING can fail,....less you foul your fuel.Its something that is so basic and easy to use I would recomend it to any outdoorsperson, and honestly after thirty years of screwing around with expensive stoves(seems like I've been through them all),this stove in many respects is the best.How much for a manufactured one (which is more durable than a home-made version)......$10 bucks.

If you end up deciding you like the jetboil stove, I suggest you look at the Primus ETA solo, faster boil time, more effiecent, and lighter as well. I love mine.

If you end up deciding you like the jetboil stove, I suggest you look at the Primus ETA solo, faster boil time, more effiecent, and lighter as well. I love mine.

Yup, those are in the link provided in Post #3. In my "don't leave home without it" pile.

If that's the stove we used on the Heli hunt I give it 2 thumbs way up. It boiled water real fast and seemed to be easy on the gas consumption. Real impressive

Never used a jetboil. I have a pocket rocket as my back-up/spike stove and it works decently. I never had any issues with it. My primary is an antique whisperlite (it seems antique considering how fast gear/technology advances)

My hunting partner has the Jetboil.......loves it. It boils water pretty quick......burning a bit less fuel than my stove. However, my Snow Peak Giga titanium is MUCH lighter and A LOT smaller.....and we both pack the same amount of fuel so I've never switched.

Geez, I must be a dinosaur, I still carry a peak one white gas stove, cause it's never failed me yet. I know there are lighter, faster stoves out there, I just can't fix what ain't broke.

http://www.minibulldesigns.com/ Just checked this site,its been awhile.I see the Bios#4 is going for $20.I don't remember paying this much.In any case, I think this guy is good at what he does,former engineer etc.Check the site but also google alcohol backpacking stoves.There are other options and how-to guides for making your own.The concept is all the same.Its worth having in your pack,I think.If you decide to try one pm me and I'll fill in some helpful hints.I have used mine exclusively for the past two years.(just don't use the HEAT in the red bottle,only the yellow bottle).

Back